PDA

View Full Version : My mental game imploded earlier tonight...

Big Nick
10-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Had league tonight, and the first game started off with a bang: a spare followed by three strikes. As soon as I sit down after bowling the third strike, my wife looks at me and says to slow down. She was just trying to keep me calm, but by saying it, she put me in my head. The rest of the game was a struggle, and I walked away with a 177 that should have been something over 200. The next game was horrendous. The only reason I even got close to my average was because of three strikes in the 10th. I started to piece things back together in the 3rd game, but it was too little too late.

I know that it's just in my head, but after it was pointed out it was like the "magic" was gone. What do you guys do in situations like these?

jimlc2001
10-03-2012, 02:16 AM
First thing I would recommend to do is clear your mind. Throw your shot (same position as before, same target, your comfortable tempo) and adjust from there. It might take a frame or two, but it's better in the long run. Otherwise you are fighting the condition instead of matching it.

hehateme
10-03-2012, 08:13 AM
I used to go to the bathroom and scream obscenities for a minute.. Then I would go back out and do exactly what jim said.. It seemed to work for me.

I had the absolute worst mental game, if I started striking, then had an open, it's like my entire world just shattered. If anyone even tried to give me advice during my game it only made things 10X worse.

The German Shepherd
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
The key for me is discipline. Stick to the EXACT same pre-shot routine, give yourself a key word to remind you of exactly what you want to do in your shot (my key word is "extension") and then execute.

Jay

Davec13
10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Shot and a beer seem to work when I get in a funk :cool:

mdlee3
10-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Just curious, why did she tell you to slow down? Were you going at a faster pace than usual? I'm not trying to put the blame on her because I'm sure she meant well, but nothing about your post indicates a reason for her to tell you to slow down.

I make sure to always follow my own pre-shot routine so every shot is approached the same and it puts my mind at ease that the next shot is no more important than any of the previous shots. It also allows me to keep my pace steady.

Tampabaybob
10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Had league tonight, and the first game started off with a bang: a spare followed by three strikes. As soon as I sit down after bowling the third strike, my wife looks at me and says to slow down. She was just trying to keep me calm, but by saying it, she put me in my head. The rest of the game was a struggle, and I walked away with a 177 that should have been something over 200. The next game was horrendous. The only reason I even got close to my average was because of three strikes in the 10th. I started to piece things back together in the 3rd game, but it was too little too late.

I know that it's just in my head, but after it was pointed out it was like the "magic" was gone. What do you guys do in situations like these?

Well, there are some really good ideas here, but let me offer a couple;

1. if you're bowling in a mixed league, leaving her home wouldn't be an option. (LOL)
2 divorce is too expensive....unless you get a judge that's a bowler and understands !
3. I like Davec's option but then the 2nd game get's a little fuzzy.
4.the Germans Shepards idea is probably the one to go with.

Seriously, though, let comments from others go in one ear and out the other. Especially, if you're bowling good. Just nod and walk away and try to get back into your ZONE. Your pre shot routine should dispel anything and everything around you and just let your focus take over. It's particularly hard to evade comments sometimes and you just have to block it out, say ok, then get up and do what you normally do.

So in conclusion, shoot your own game, block out others comments, and let your muscle memory take over.

Bob

MisterSinister
10-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Drinking works for me. I also like to keep in mind that a bad game, or series, lowers my average and raises my handicap.

billf
10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
I do what Jay and Bob said. Anything can be said or done off the approach but once I walk towards the rack I start blanking my mind out. Lately the key word(s) for me has been simple; quality shot. This is especially true if I'm on a nice run like you had going. Another thing I always do is encourage my opponent. People say I'm a good sport but the truth is I don't want to hear any BS excuses about why or how I beat them. It's also nice at the end of the night when they shake my hand and say "Nice bowling against you. I really enjoyed it and that's even with you kicking my a$$." Now to just do that more often.

Was your wife trying to calm you down? If so maybe instead of slow down she could say relax or calm down. Have you discussed YOUR problem that she took part in? You're married so all the problems are yours now.

Big Nick
10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
She meant well, so I don't blame her, at all. Sometimes when I'm not bowling well, it's because I'm rushing my release. I've told her in the past that if I seem to be struggling to remind me to slow down. This wasn't one of those times, and I'm sure she meant to keep calm and not let my nerves get the best of me. However, the self destruct sequence had begun before she said anything...... I might have made it a few more frames before all hell broke loose, but it was going to happen. Her comment just put it on a truncated time table.

I try to keep my pre-shot routine the same: I get the ball off the rack and wipe off the oil, find my spot and target, take a deep breath and then begin my throw as I start to exhale. I also usually try to keep a particular thought in my head regarding my release, lately it's been something similar to extension like The German Shepard uses, but not exactly. It's more of a thought about a particular way the release should feel. Regardless, it works most of the time. However, I've been bowling pitifully since Tuesday night, and luckily I have another lesson this afternoon. Hopefully he'll get me back on track.

bayedup84
10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
i try to clear my mind also, but have the same problem as you. Guess we need to work on it a little more