PDA

View Full Version : Ball Speed

bayedup84
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Is it better to throw a 14-15mph ball (15lbs) or should I try and throw a little harder?

Zothen
10-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Depends on the lane conditions. If it's a long(38'-44') sport or PBA pattern slow speed so the ball has time to cut thru the oil. Having a lot of speed can be good or bad. I've seen guys throw 20-25mph and leave a lot of splits and 10pins and i've seen them get a lot of strikes. I throw around 15-16mph and get my share of strikes.

The key is ACCURACY! Are you hitting the pocket consistantly or are you all over the place? Are you leaving a lot of splits,10 pins,7 pins,8 or 9 pins,5 pin,etc? Are you adjusting to the ever changing lane conditions?

My suggestion is to work on being more accurate and picking up spares,then trying to throw harder.

Good luck & good scoring!

Zothen

bayedup84
10-03-2012, 12:39 PM
yea somewhat consistent. using a friends ball sometimes. Saving for a new ball now. nice hit in the pocket leaves the 10 pin alot. thats easy pick up for me, now the 7 thats a 50/50 chance. just noticed sometimes get aggrevated and throw heck outta ball and pins explode but not soo consistent

striker12
10-03-2012, 01:08 PM
well if you feel good throwing at 14-15mph and you like how the ball is moving on the lane stay with it i use to only throw 15-16mph with a 15 and 16lb balls but then i ended up finding out i musled the ball so i had to change every thing and know i have a complete different backswing and release is much better accuracy is still getting better but not the best.

and know i throw just my strikes shots at 17-19mph thats why i need to use agressive bowling balls i can use mid performace balls but i rather have a pro performance one soo then ik it will hit the pocket r close to it. but my spare shots i have maxed out at 23mph.

soo for your question:it just depends on how you feel on your swing then release ifyou like it then stay with t dont try to change it at all if you are getting nice games then stick with it but for the 10 pins about leaving alot of them move back from your normal starting spot just about a inch and u will get those 10pin down and if it is the 7pin move formard 1/2 inch i got told this soo if i am ever having problems with eather one i just move forward or backwaards if not working i go to different line for my release.

jimlc2001
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
My best advice is throw a speed where you can maintain balance at the foul line. It is easy for people to throw fast, but they lose their balance and tend to be less consistent.

Davec13
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm sure bill will be along with the correct answer soon. Until then I would say pretty much what zothen said. Don't worry much about the speed and worry about accuracy. If you can consistently hit your mark you will be much better off than worrying about was that a 14 or a 15 or a 17 1/2mph throw.

bowl1820
10-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Is it better to throw a 14-15mph ball (15lbs) or should I try and throw a little harder?

Are you getting the speed off the monitor at the lanes?

If so that's the speed at the pins, that would put your speed at release at about 16-17 mph.

Looking at the cat's data averages you would want a speed about 17.5-18.5 mph at release.

I would work on being more consistent with your speed, maybe try to average around 15.5 mph at the pins.

A higher ball speed can help increase pin action.

Tampabaybob
10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Higher speed does not always equate to a higher scoring average. Accuracy does. Give me a team mate that makes 90 - 95 % of his spares any day as opposed to a guy that can shred the pins with a 20 mph shot and miss half of his spares because he loses balance at the line. Your speed is ok, learn to be consistent and accurate.

Bob

billf
10-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Accuracy first and foremost. Accuracy being the same, the higher ball speed with a matched rev rate will create more pin carry. HOWEVER, there is a point of diminishing returns. Ball speeds in excess of 24mph at the pins will just blow a hole through the rack leaving a horrid leave. ITRC research has shown that speeds at release of 18-21mph yield the highest strike percentage. This study did not mention rev rates, styles or any other variable that could skew the results.
The key to speed, to have it naturally, is to learn to have your approach and release fluid and muscle free. With bowling the harder you try to force anything (speed, revs, rotation) the less of it you will get. A truly 100% muscle free armswing is very hard to attain. Most that say they are free swinging are usually at best 80% muscle free. None of this is meant to discourage, just educate and motivate.

bayedup84
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
thanks alot, for the info. I feel more consistent at the speed I'm throwing. Some people I bowl with always say stuff bout my slower speed than theres, so figured i'd throw this out there. I'm taking ya'lls advice and stayin with what i'm doing now, it's comfortable

Tampabaybob
10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
thanks alot, for the info. I feel more consistent at the speed I'm throwing. Some people I bowl with always say stuff bout my slower speed than theres, so figured i'd throw this out there. I'm taking ya'lls advice and stayin with what i'm doing now, it's comfortable

Next time someone says you're throwing too slow, explain to them you're giving the pins more time on the pin deck to mix than just trying to explode the rack. It's call finese. Speed kills. In bowling as in many other things in life

Bob

bayedup84
10-04-2012, 01:06 PM
tampabaybob...sounds good i will do that this weekend

Stormed1
10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Also keep in mind that the ball you throw willhave an effect on the ball speed that is registering. More aggressive equipment and surfaces will cause the ball to slow down more than weaker covers or plastic

bayedup84
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
stormed1....so once I step up and get my own good ball, and stop using house plastics my speed will prolly slow down?

Big Nick
10-05-2012, 10:05 AM
so once I step up and get my own good ball, and stop using house plastics my speed will prolly slow down?

It could go either way, and depending on what you get it could go both ways at the same time. Once you're using your own ball, it's entirely possible that you could have a faster speed coming off your hand than you did with the house ball, while actually being slower at the pins than you were with the house ball.

bayedup84
10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
i've used a friends ball, pretty close to same hand fit, but its a lil bigger. Will a pro shop be able to help me figure what weight I should throw? His are 15lb and i notice since holes are lil big I have to keep wrist locked upwards so I dont drop

Zothen
10-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I would stay with the 15lbs as this is what most bowlers use,unless your a kid or you have some kind of physical problem.

Zothen

Big Nick
10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
i've used a friends ball, pretty close to same hand fit, but its a lil bigger. Will a pro shop be able to help me figure what weight I should throw? His are 15lb and i notice since holes are lil big I have to keep wrist locked upwards so I dont drop

Any pro shop that is worth their salt will be able to help you get into the right equipment. It also doesn't hurt to talk to several and see which one you like the best.

bayedup84
10-05-2012, 01:06 PM
zothen....sounds like a plan

Tampabaybob
10-06-2012, 04:47 AM
If you're looking for some of the 'best' advice, you are within driving distance of one of if not the best training centers in the world. It's the Kegle center and its' located between Avon Park and Sebring, FL on Hwy 27 North. Check them out...

http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/V2/default.aspx

Bob

bayedup84
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM
tampabaybob.... Thanks for info on that site. Never knew that place was there or heard of, gonna try and get over there this week. It's only bout hour and twenty minutes west of me. Very informative site. Once again thanks.

GoodGorilla
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
In my limited experience of bowling for about 6 months daily, My normal shot is about 18.5 mph, and if the ball is hydroplaning down the lane it's going to fast. When I throw the 18mph shot I am totally not trying to throw it fast, infact my arm position at the start is already around 45 degrees. When I slow it down, my arm is really down torwards teh floor. But my advice isn't of an expert, but I have been making alot of progress. I think I'm going to experiment throwing the slow ball down the middle of the lane sometime.

Tampabaybob
10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
tampabaybob.... Thanks for info on that site. Never knew that place was there or heard of, gonna try and get over there this week. It's only bout hour and twenty minutes west of me. Very informative site. Once again thanks.

Your welcome. Let us know how you make out at Kegel as there may be other people on this site that could take advantage of going there. Again that place is the best of the best coaches, and probably the best place in the country to get "Expert" advice and instructions.

Bob

bayedup84
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
tampabaybob....will do, me and a friend are planning to head there in next week or so