Dwyane
10-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Storm Fire Road Review
Layout:
3-1/2” x 5” with 3” pin buffer from VAL, Pin distance from CG 3-3/8”
PAP:
4-1/2” -> ½” ^
Conditions:
A. Center A- 38’ house pattern*, All 5 PBA Animal patterns (Chameleon, Cheetah, Scorpion, Shark and Viper) , Kegel Kustodian Walker, AMF HPL lane surface

Surfaces preps:
1. Factory finish
2. 1000 Abralon
3. 3000 Abralon
4. 2000 Abralon w/ Reacta-Shine polish

For reference I throw high track, 15.75 mph, 350+ rpms, using Turbo Lifts and a Switch Grip thumb insert and I am right handed.
Center ‘A’ results:

1. With factory finish;
Nice look on lanes once patterns broke down some. On the fresh it was very solid down and in (5 board out, standing 19). This showed great promise on the lighter volume PBA Patterns, slightly over aggressive on backends is you got a little too slow. Scorpion and this ball were made for each other!

2. Adjusting to 1000 Abralon;
When I adjusted to this surface it definitely helped the ball read sooner without taking away the aggressive backend reaction. I could move in deeper, anywhere from 20 to 25 and play 17 area on all 5 of the PBA patterns. On the house shot it did seem to be a little over/under until the shot broke down more towards the middle of the second game.

3. Adjusting to 3000 Abralon;
This look was nice on Cheetah and Scorpion. It allowed me to open the lane up some more, but still seemed very speed sensitive. On the house pattern it let me stay right longer than my Crossroads would, with enough energy intact to kick out the corners. It was possible to throw it through the break point though if you got a little excited with your speed. You slow rolling tweeners and strokers will love the way you can wheel this ball and have faith on it to make the corner in this finish. Speed dominate guys, beware!

4. Adjusting to 2000 w/ Reacta-Shine Polish;
If I told you this was my go to ball as the night grows long would you believe me? I have already racked up one 300 in the third game of a league set with it, and from the other strings I have had; I can safely say there will be a few more this season. Never had a chance to try this on any of the PBA patterns, but I would have to say it should perform very well on those too. This surface prep choice makes it a must in my bag every league night. The backend reaction is continuous, strong and seldom do the corners hang out for coffee after the first shot.
Overview;
Great ball, I can’t imagine not having it! I loved my Crossroads, and I can guarantee that if you liked your Crossroads half as much as I liked mine you will fall in love with the Fire Road. Don’t be afraid to fine tune the cover, so many combinations to give you the ball shape your game needs.