PDA

View Full Version : What is she doing right here, sanding the ball?

Ball99999
10-05-2012, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=stwanOk4AuQ#t=141s

I've seen people say that you're only supposed to change the surface of a ball on a ball on a ball spinner but it looks like you can easily tell what parts you've done (and if you overlap it's not going to change the surface since it's the same grit right?).

What is she using? and can you go up and down grits at will, like 500 to 2000 then back down to 500?

And is there a difference between something being at say 500 grit and something being "sanded" finish?

Also, if people keep sanding/resurfacing a ball over and over and over, won't it shrink eventually?

J Anderson
10-06-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=stwanOk4AuQ#t=141s

I've seen people say that you're only supposed to change the surface of a ball on a ball on a ball spinner but it looks like you can easily tell what parts you've done (and if you overlap it's not going to change the surface since it's the same grit right?).

What is she using? and can you go up and down grits at will, like 500 to 2000 then back down to 500?

And is there a difference between something being at say 500 grit and something being "sanded" finish?

Also, if people keep sanding/resurfacing a ball over and over and over, won't it shrink eventually?

I couldn't watch the video because I need to upgrade my computer, but I think I can answer most of your questions.

Ball spinners make it easier resurface the ball but there is nothing that says you can't do it by hand.

Obviously I don't know what she was using, but generally speaking you always from coarse to fine. The only reason I can think of for going back down to 500 would be if you tried the ball after sanding to 2000 and decided it needed the coarser finish.

"Sanded" finish means the ball hasn't been polished. It could be anything from 500 to 4000 grit.

It would take an awful lot of resurfacing to make a noticeable difference so don't worry about it.

Zothen
10-06-2012, 05:48 PM
What she is doing is roughing up the surface with a sanding pad. It will allow her ball to get a better grip in oil. 500 grit is rough giving the ball more surface for the oil to be absorbed,while 4000 grit is very smooth and has less surface for oil to bew absorbed. Example-If you have a lane that is oiled 45' from gutter-gutter and throw a ball sanded to 4000,the ball will glide thru oil and have less turn on dry where as a ball sanded to 500 will cut thru the oil more effectively because it has more surface for the oil to absorbed and it will turn as soon as it hits dry as long as it is not thrown hard.

No the ball wont shrink because your not taking a lot of surface off ball and yes you can sand it anyway you want.

Zothen