PDA

View Full Version : Do wrist braces help?

Doghouse Reilly
10-07-2012, 11:06 PM
My question is wil a wrist support help you throw the ball the same way every time?

Zothen
10-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes/No! I have a scorpion which is adjustable and allows me to put more/less lift on ball as well as keeping my wrist straight or cupped. The person wearing the brace is the 1 who controls weather the ball rolls consistantly or not. The brace is only thier to keep wrist from having a lot of movement.

Zothen

jimlc2001
10-07-2012, 11:33 PM
It can. The brace limits movement, which should help repeating shots.

Keithalw
10-08-2012, 04:53 AM
I nver tried the scorpion or others like that but I have to say that I got an ebonite wrist brace that just keeps my wrist straight. I had a problem keeping it straight through my swing and release. It has helped improve my game a good bit

The German Shepherd
10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
They may imobilize your hand/wrist but I do not like them. They put added stress on my finger joints and creates pain after bowling.

Jay

bowl1820
10-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I like using the Moro Extended pro release, expensive but made strong and adjustable. The extended part backs up the fingers.

AZBowla
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Mine is uncomfortable, old and was a cheapie I bought just because I thought I needed one. My last couple of outings I found I did better without it. As with anything else, it's a personal choice. Best way to find out is to go out and get one and see if it helps. If so, great, if not, either return it to the store or sell it to someone.

billf
10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
They will make sure you keep your wrist in the same position each time. They will not determine if the release is on time of affect if you come around the ball the same each time. I used one to get use to keeping my wrist cupped and use it occasionally when practicing. I don't like how they inhibit the uncupping/uncocking of the wrist.

Siddy
10-11-2012, 01:26 PM
It helps me when i wear my Brunswick Power XXX . Some days I cant keep my wrist straight and end up not hitting my mark. When i put it on I helps me puts me right back on my mark. But its does get uncomfortable over time.

Big Nick
10-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I have a wrist support (a Robby's Cool-Max) that I bought back at the beginning of the summer before I really started bowling competitively. At the time, I was using a ball that was drilled conventionally and was on the lighter side. As such, I never really noticed much in the way of help with it so it was put into my bag and all but forgotten. About two weeks ago I got my first fingertip drilled ball, and I also stepped up in weight. Since then, my wrist has been quite sore and it feels as if I've lost a little range of motion due to the soreness. Then yesterday, my wife and I were practicing and I remembered that I still had the support in my bag. I put it on and I was amazed how much it helped. I was better able to relax my hand, which led to almost no wrist pain at the end of the day. My hand being relaxed also helped me with the timing of my release, and I bowled my best score ever in that particular house. Before yesterday I was of the macho mindset that I didn't need one, but after being able to bowl and not have forearm pain later I've decided I'm going to continue to wear mine for the time being. In fact, I'm thinking about getting an adjustable one to try and train my wrist for a more powerful release. That being said, I'm also going to start working on my wrist strength with some weight training so I don't become addicted to it either.

Doghouse Reilly
10-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Well going to try a Mongoose Lifter. A freind gave me his he got it as a gift and hardly used it. Wll let you know how it works out, it fits good.

Doghouse Reilly
10-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Well going to try a Mongoose Lifter. A freind gave me his he got it as a gift and hardly used it. Wll let you know how it works out, it fits good.

That made a difference! yesterday bowled 149/157/172 total 478

Realy started gettng the feel for the "goose" the last gamee! Could tell that before using it ,I wasn't keeping wrist as firm as I should. I coud feel my wrist wanting to "Break" back, but the glove held itt steady.

Felt more conssitent on my shot, can't wait to bowl again!

nolegirl
10-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I have a Robby's Revs II and it helps a lot, but it isn't guaranteed to give you the same result every time. The wrist braces with hard metal that lock your hand in ensure your wrist is in the same position every time, but consistency includes the lift on your fingers and how much you follow through as well. I used to have a softer wrist brace, don't remember exactly what brand but it was similar to the Robby's Cool-Max Original, when I was younger and switching from throwing a back-up to a hook. Didn't give anywhere near as much support as I needed and barely helped at all.

BwlrChik68
12-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Hello everyone and Happy soon-to-be New Year 2013! As I am reading this particular section about whether wearing a wrist support will help, I am in the same dilemma as some. When I am ready to release the ball, my wrist either turns left or right, and there goes the ball down either side of the gutters! I have a wrist support but it's the cheap kind, but I think I will get a Brunswick Command X Positioner, which I am hoping it will help with this problem! My scores are so bad (as you can see in my profile) that it's disappointing and frustrating after I am done on Monte Carlo nights. Someone told me to think of a normal handshake you'd give to someone and it's helped some, but then when it's my turn I go again and turn my wrist! Any other advise would be greatly appreciated!

Keithalw
12-30-2012, 03:03 AM
I had very similiar problem but got a good wrist brace and basicly its been better since then... I have just a basic ebonite one I believe

MisterSinister
12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
I tried wrist braces a while ago, I didn't like them. They felt more restrctive than helpful. That being said, if my wrist was weaker, or maybe if I was older, and I had trouble holding position, then I think it would help.

scottymoney
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
I have had wrist issues the past 2 weeks. The brace I got was able to let me bowl pain free and I think I am a bit more consistent with it. The wrist pain is come and go lately and I am going to continue to use the brace for awhile and then will test to see if I can bowl without it and see the results.

Had my best game a 240 using a wrist support so I am leaning towards it being effective.

e-tank
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
It help me keep my wrist in position with either a hook ball or a straight ball. I also love the grips it has on the index and pinky finger

GeoLes
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I have seen some advise on some of the instruction videos that basically state they are a good training tool for developing a good wrist position, but not necessariy essential.

Tampabaybob
01-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Here's some advice from the Pros about wrist braces......

What is your opinion on wrist bands and how do you decide if you need one? What type would be best to get?

Steve Kloempken:
There are many different types of wrist sup- ports on the market. They come in different shapes and styles and often with different pur- poses. Soft in design, some are just gloves with added gripping material that fit over the hand and provide better control. Others are also soft in design but may support the tendons and ligaments in the wrist or elbow.
When most people think about wrist sup- port, they are usually considering one of the harder devices designed to keep the wrist from breaking backward into a weak position during the swing and at the release point. In fact, the Wrist Master® II by Master Industries was developed 45 years ago and is still going strong today. Why? Because many people with weaker wrists get added support that such a glove provides.
Just as technology has changed bowling balls, lane conditioners, and lane machines, technology has also impacted the design of wrist supports. Both the GadgetTM and GizmoTM by Storm Bowling Products allow you to dial in the specific wrist angle, both vertically and horizontally, to create the desired axis tilt and axis rotation.
So while there is no way to determine if you need one, the best suggestion is to go to your local pro shop and try one on the lanes to see if helps create a stronger ball roll and improves
your pin carry and consistency. What have you got to lose?

Bryan O’Keefe:
I’m not sure I have an opinion one way or the other. There are some positives and nega- tives for each side of the debate. Do I think they work for certain individuals? Yes. Do I think they work for everyone? No.
The positive can be that they help put your wrist in a stronger position at the bottom of the swing, generally leading to an increase in revolutions which, for let’s say, “rev chal- lenged” players, might be the little extra help needed to open up the lane.
Conversely, they can make it harder for a player to repeat shots consistently and become more versatile with their release. That’s extreme- ly important for the modern game. So, if you are contemplating trying one, my advice would be to try a few different styles and not only see if you can repeat your shot with it on, but also see if you can stay behind the ball or come around the ball more than your typical release. This way, you can decide if you are sacrificing versatility for just a little extra help in RPMs.

Kelly Kulick:
I DO believe in wristbands. They are use- ful in many ways. They allow the hand and wrist to hold a position throughout the entire swing and during the release. You aren't less of a bowler if you use a wrist aid.
I have advised bowlers with weak wrist strength to try them. Individuals with ar- thritis also find them beneficial. I have also referred young ladies to use them as well as bowlers trying to build muscle memory for the release. They can be an excellent training tool. Not everyone has strong grip pressure to allow flexibility at the release.
My first suggestion is to try a Robby's or Robby's Response. As an instructor, I always
take the bar in the middle of the palm out. I want the back of the wrist to be supported. A Mongoose is similar in design and provides the same outcome. If that is not enough, try upgrading to a Robby's Revs or VISE V1, V2, or V3. These types of wrist positioners will give you the release and ball roll you may be searching for. In the end, it is personal prefer- ence when choosing. If you score better and develop consistency, why wouldn't you use it?

Bill Hall:
I am not an advocate for “dependency” on wrist devices. They can help a player learn the basics of the feel of a release. However, they are more limiting as your game moves up to another level.
One thing to consider is that the majority of top professionals and amateurs alike do NOT use wrist devices. The overuse of wrist devices is one of the reasons, in my opinion, bowling does not belong in the Olympics. I realize that is not a popular stance to have, but it is my honest opinion.
When you look for a wrist device, choose the least cumbersome one you can find - one that aids you, but does not make you depen- dent on using it. Since I am not an advocate of wrist devices, it is not proper for me to suggest one to you since my knowledge on them is very limited, to say the least.

Hope this article gives some of you a better perspective on wrist braces.

MICHAEL
01-10-2013, 09:18 AM

I purchased a Mongoose from Bowlingboard.com, and have to say, (its a great training device!) Not like many other brands, its simple, but comfortable! It has increased my awareness , of not opening my wrist upon release of ball. I don’t have a weak wrist, in fact do curls with dumbbells with 55 lbs each hand. Its more a training device in my case! I like the Mongoose very much and would highly recommend it to bowlers that want to work on their release. I personally also found that I hit my mark much better with it on. I have the Mongoose Lifter! Get ONE,,, bowlingboard.com has the best price, and service.

remix
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Interesting to see the Pros take on these. I've been using a Columbia 300 glove with the wrist support for a couple of years. I like the extra contact from the forefinger and little finger added grip as well as keeping my wrist from breaking.

Tampabaybob
01-14-2013, 07:12 AM
I purchased a Mongoose from Bowlingboard.com, and have to say, (its a great training device!) Not like many other brands, its simple, but comfortable! It has increased my awareness , of not opening my wrist upon release of ball. I don’t have a weak wrist, in fact do curls with dumbbells with 55 lbs each hand. Its more a training device in my case! I like the Mongoose very much and would highly recommend it to bowlers that want to work on their release. I personally also found that I hit my mark much better with it on. I have the Mongoose Lifter! Get ONE,,, bowlingboard.com has the best price, and service.

Do you mean BowlingBall.com ??? Best site on the internet !

GeoLes
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow Bob. Great look at what some pros say about wrist supports. As I recall the pro bowling touraments I have seen, I do not recall seeing them in use on top level competition. I will continue to look for when in use by the pro, and what type. I personally am a little arthritic and my wrists ache when I begin to bowl. A brace helps. Also as it gets later, my wrist begins to fail me on releasee, robbing me of revs. So I guess I am an occasional use candidate.

Tampabaybob
01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
The pros don't wear them as much as they used to. Mostly, as I also do , is to wear them if you feel your wrist failing to stay firm through your swing. Over the last couple of years I've cupped my wrist, so it's easier to stay flat through the release. They're a device used to help you, so do not be intimidated to use one.

bobby_3_revs
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi All,

I've been using the Pro Release Extended wrist brace after reading a few posts. I have to admit that it's helped with consistency with regards to my release and it def added a lot more revs I put on the ball too. But I noticed that I was putting too much revs and the ball would hook insanely at the end sometimes hooking into the left gutter. I had to take it off so I can put less revs on the ball.

But I'm using it more for muscle memory sake.

Tampabaybob
02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Hello everyone and Happy soon-to-be New Year 2013! As I am reading this particular section about whether wearing a wrist support will help, I am in the same dilemma as some. When I am ready to release the ball, my wrist either turns left or right, and there goes the ball down either side of the gutters! I have a wrist support but it's the cheap kind, but I think I will get a Brunswick Command X Positioner, which I am hoping it will help with this problem! My scores are so bad (as you can see in my profile) that it's disappointing and frustrating after I am done on Monte Carlo nights. Someone told me to think of a normal handshake you'd give to someone and it's helped some, but then when it's my turn I go again and turn my wrist! Any other advise would be greatly appreciated!

First of all welcome to the boards. You'll find lots of great information here to help you as well as many of us that offer advice from having many years of bowling and coaching experience.

The wrist strap from Brunswick is as good as most. You can get really crazy with some of them, and really not gain a whole lot of extra benefit. One thing you can try is to remove the metal piece from the palm area of the glove if it's uncomfortable for you. The biggest help is the one for the back of your wrist for support. Because you are a newer bowler, if you would like some coaching advice, have someone shoot a short (maybe 2-3 frames) of you throwing the ball. We're always glad to help. Good luck and welcome.

explorer05
02-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I used for a couple of years to learn how to throw a hook. They kept me from topping the ball. I am good now so i haven't used one in 10 years but when I started to throw a ball with out it took about 3 months of work but I am good now.