PDA

View Full Version : Restarting bowling after 20 years

Scojoy
10-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Hi all, I haven't bowled in 20 years and had about a 150 avg in the day, nothing special. My 15 yr old started on the school team and we went out fri night and I had a blast, I have to start bowling again. I need to get an opinion on getting him his first ball and after throwing my old blue 16 lb angle, my wrist is still killing me. With all the new technology out there I wanted to see opinions on a nice middle of the line balls for both of us. I throw a good hook ( try to), and with him never bowling, he just trying to throw a straight ball. I was thinking about going with a light (14lb?) ball so my wrist doesn't kill me. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks to all.

eugene02
10-08-2012, 01:08 AM
14lb would be good to start with again... than slowly move up to 15lb if your able to.. but.. take your time.. it doesn't really matters alot... any brands of balls you would like? or rather side with? myself, i'll go with DV8! :)

Zothen
10-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Welcome back to bowling!

I would suggest getting a wrist brace and dropping to 15lb. As for balls Brunswick C-(System)Maxxed Out,Roto Grip beserk or Shatter,DV8 Murader,Columbia Violent Eruption,900 Global Sure Thing,Hammer Purple Taboo,Ebonite Endure,Storm Fire Road,Maniac or frantic,Motiv Primal Scream. These balls are for Medium-Medium Heavy maybe Heavy oil.

Zothen

Keithalw
10-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Welcome back to bowling and as Zothen has said maybe a wrist brace would help... If I had to offer a brand I must say that I have the dv8 Murader and am so happy and pleased with it. I know my friend bowls with the beserk and he loves that ball. I actually have to say that most the balls Zothen mentioned are good and I say most cause I never seen anyone roll Motiv or 900 Global at my house ...but not saying that these arent good balls.

got_a_300
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
First off Welcome back to bowling,

I'd have to say with todays technology a 14lb. ball
hits just as hard/good as the old 16lb. balls did way
back in the day. I just started back bowling myself
last fall after a 12 year hiatus from bowling because
of back problems.

I used to throw only 16lb. balls back then but had to
drop down to the 14lb. balls that I use now. I haven't
noticed a lot of difference in my pin carry now days
from back then when I was using the 16 pounder balls.

Most of the ball suggestions that have been made already
and getting yourself the wrist brace will probably work out
for you and your son.

billf
10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
If your son is bowling on a high school team (as opposed to a school club sport) he will be bowling on sport oil patterns. With that in mind I would suggest the very versatile DV8 Terror to start with. They will have him throwing a reasonable hook in no time and this ball has a ton of back end designed into it.
As for a ball for open bowling when the lanes are dry, Brunswick Slingshot. DV8 Marauder if your center actually puts oil out for open bowling. The Marauder is a medium to light oil ball with a symmetrical core that is designed to go long and hook with a good entry angle when it hits the dry back end.

Tampabaybob
10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Bill, a DV8 Terror, really? That's one of the highest rated hooking balls on bowlingball.com. As a new bowler, I would think a middle of the ball would be better until he "learns how to control it". There are guys, I've seen bowl for years that can't control something that aggressive. What about a misfit or a reckless?

Bob

AngeloPD
10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
maybe a dv8 marauder to start with then move up to nightmare :)

billf
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Bill, a DV8 Terror, really? That's one of the highest rated hooking balls on bowlingball.com. As a new bowler, I would think a middle of the ball would be better until he "learns how to control it". There are guys, I've seen bowl for years that can't control something that aggressive. What about a misfit or a reckless?

Bob

Bob, if this is a high school TEAM and not just a club sport, then yes, a Terror. Very versatile ball and would work well on sport shots. Club sports don't usually travel or shoot sport patterns. In that case it would be too strong. That's why I asked if it was a team or club sport ;)

Tampabaybob
10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, here we have to agree to disagree. If the kid had been bowling for a while, even 6 months, and with a coach, then ok maybe that aggressive of a ball. But a new bowler, no. I would never recommend a ball that aggressive for someone just starting out.

How 'bout a second opinion.........Bowl1820, where are you? What do you think?

Bob

Zothen
10-10-2012, 10:43 PM
If he's never thrown a hook ball he needs to start out with a Slingshot or Cyclone. If you give him a massive hooking ball,he'll get frustrated and quit. Start him out slow till he gets a consistant avg of 140 with the hook ball,then gradually move him into a more hooking ball.

Zothen

MICHAEL
10-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Too tough a question for bowl1858, so maybe I can help! I have a DV8 terror, and I can handle its magnificent power, and I just turned 64, and started bowling at 61! Sure, some might say, (you’re a super hero, and only half human), but to them I say, and your point is???? I have the DV8 terror, and the marauder, and to be honest I personally see little difference in them. They both kick like a Missouri Mule in Spring! Both have late, great entry into the pocket! I think the main question in getting a ball is this: What is the style of the bowler! I think many bowlers get the wrong ball, thinking it will do what a Pro does with it in the demo films, or even Iceman! Yes I do have a video on U Tube, that has had many hits! Your delivery is crucial in selecting how aggressive a ball you need. A good young man I bowl with, let’s call, The Dude, is a HIGH Rev bowler! He gets lane burns on his balls due to the incredible rev rate! He can on oil throw a plastic ball standing left, and shooting right and hit the pocket! So style of bowling is very important! Then choose your balls to adapt to THAT Style,,,, cranker, stroker, ect..ect..

Scojoy
10-11-2012, 11:57 PM
My son has no experience other than about 10 games. While I'm sure he will want to throw a hook, he currently has no technique down pat. I don't want a junk plastic ball, maybe a middle of the road reactive. I myself, while all the DV8's look great was thinking about the Storm Fringe. Looks like its versatile, will work in a dryer or wetter lane, and doesn't have an insane hook that would make me throw it only in heavy oil. But I don't know. Still looking for suggestions.

Keithalw
10-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I have the dv8 marauder and will say I love it but the fringe might not be a bad choice either. Also c300 freeze is a good ball to.

Tampabaybob
10-12-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm glad you decided on a more realistic approach for your son. With a very aggressive he may have ended up getting frustrated because it would have been harder to control being a new bowler. My suggestion would be to go to www.bowlingball.com And check out the perfect scale. This is their rating system of how aggressive balls are. For a new bowler look at something in the range of 160 to 190. You can set the parameters to just look at those categories on the site. It's an excellent way to judge what might fit his abilities. There are also videos of most balls so you can judge the reaction you think he can handle. Good luck, let us know how you and your son make out. We're here to help.

Bob

billf
10-12-2012, 10:29 PM
How about a Storm Hy-Road for your son. It's a very versatile ball that even after he learns to hook and use finger tip grip will give him many years of use. Please tell me this is a club sport.

Scojoy
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I'll look at this storm for sure. What do you mean about a "club sport"

J Anderson
10-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I'll look at this storm for sure. What do you mean about a "club sport"

When bowling is an official team sport, it is overseen by the same state and local groups that regulate Football, track & field, Baseball, soccer, and basketball. Club sports are more loosely organized, and much more dependent on parents footing the bill. As for bowling, an official team is much more likely to face sport conditions, a club team will most likely be bowling on standard house patterns.

billf
10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you John. If they will not be traveling to other schools to compete, then it is definitely a club sport. If they travel AND the school provides transportation, like the other sports, then it's school/state sanctioned.

Scojoy
10-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Guys, from what I understand it is a club, they will bowl against other schools but I will take him or other parents will. He will go to other houses though.

billf
10-13-2012, 10:35 PM
The fact that they will visit other houses is great. He will face different oil patterns but nothing too horrible at that level. Given that information and his inexperience, the Storm Hy-Road would be the way to go. Just be prepared to purchase a couple of more balls for next season.

Scojoy
10-13-2012, 11:10 PM
I'd be so happy to get him involved in something worthwhile, I'd buy him a new ball every month!

Demoman
10-14-2012, 12:38 AM
If its available in your area find a pro shop within a alley and have the owner or tech watch your son bowl and make some recommendations based off his style. Many people I know do this and it's great for how the ball is drilled and often helps in choosing a proper ball. I have suggested this on these boards before and was pointed out this is not available in all areas but our local pro shop offers a variety of balls to demo in a low pressure atmosphere. I hope something similar is available in your area and if so strongly suggest to take advantage of it. There are many dv8 supporters here and I admit they have me thinking about getting one but in my opinion the best thing to do is to get him whatever brand he wants - I say this because in my opinion all of the higher end brands have similar results and if he wants something that jumps out at him brand wise it can't hurt the mental aspect of the game.

Scojoy
10-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Agreed, at this point any ball is better than no ball, for him and for me. thanks for the input and I do like the DV8's and the Storms.