PDA

View Full Version : sliding foot pointing right?

sukeetoshyoo88
10-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Hello everyone,

Im new to the boards and would like some advice on technique.
I've noticed that almost every pro, if not every pro has their sliding foot pointing straight forward at the foul line.
When a friend and I record ourselves bowling, I noticed that my foot slides at an angle and points right.( right handed)
I've tried to correct this for a few frames, but it seems like Im completely off balance and awkward when "trying"
to do this.
It also puts a bit more stress on my knee, like a twisting sensation.

How important is it to have your foot pointing straight when sliding to the foul line?
And what exactly does it promote? balance?

thanks,
Vance.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fbGeX-1K8

one more in link form since i can only embed one per post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYd_05u9eJs

only been bowling since feb/march, and i know theres alot im doing wrong.
so any advice is welcome.

Zothen
10-08-2012, 02:20 PM
It's all about balance at the line. I point my foot right after slide. I think we do this beacuse were afraid our foot will hit foul line. I tried correcting this and felt awkward. If it works for you and your balanced,then don't change it.

Zothen

kurowah
10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
There's a twisting sensation when you try to point it straight?? If you are already consistent and comfortable, I would say to just stick with "your'" style. :)

billf
10-08-2012, 10:52 PM
If it hurts, don't bother with it. The 'new' technique being taught and what some of the younger pros have been doing is pointing towards their target. Given the amount of movement some of them get it may only be a board or two. I have bad knees and have had to alter some mechanics to keep the pain and strain to a minimum.

sukeetoshyoo88
10-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
Guess I'll just stick to what i do.
Im not really sure if my foot is pointing to where my target is, as I dont really think about it.
and I actually didn't even know that I slid as far as I do until we got it on tape.

hopefully can get some more footage soon.

Tampabaybob
10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Hello everyone,

Im new to the boards and would like some advice on technique.
I've noticed that almost every pro, if not every pro has their sliding foot pointing straight forward at the foul line.
When a friend and I record ourselves bowling, I noticed that my foot slides at an angle and points right.( right handed)
I've tried to correct this for a few frames, but it seems like Im completely off balance and awkward when "trying"
to do this.
It also puts a bit more stress on my knee, like a twisting sensation.

How important is it to have your foot pointing straight when sliding to the foul line?
And what exactly does it promote? balance?

thanks,
Vance.

Vance, depending how much your slide foot is pointing right it may not be of concern. However, and I have several teen boys in the youth leagues that I have been trying to break of the habit, if the turn is excessive, i.e.; ending up on the side of your shoe, then I would say try to change it.

Here's what happens. If you have a video, notice that when you turn the slide foot too much it will make your torso face too far to the right. Like maybe 6-12 lanes to the right. What that can do is force your swing arm too far away from your body. Now, I'll agree with a few of the other comments that a small amount of turn, maybe towards your target, won't hurt. But too much forces your right shoulder to turn away from the pins and it allows the arm to get too far away from your body. "IF" you can maintain your arm swing next to your body, and still be accurate, then I would say continue with what you're doing.

What I have my bowlers doing is to attempt to actually slide their left foot a little to the right at the line. This will not open your shoulders in that direction as the weight and momentum of the ball will still keep you positioned correctly. When you say you try it and end up off balance, are you falling to the right or left? Falling to the right is an indicator that your feet are a bit to fast and vice-a-versa if you fall to your left. If you're falling to the right, you're getting to the line before the ball, and in order to finish your arm swing you're pulling the ball through forcing your body off balance. If that's the case try slowing your first step down just a bit and that should get you back on balance. Sliding straight, 'should not' be felt in your knee joint. There may be something else, balance wise, causing that pain. If you do have or take a video, please upload it so we can visually see what going on.

Bob

sukeetoshyoo88
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
put a two vids in the first post .

what do you guys think?

J Anderson
11-13-2012, 09:03 AM
put a two vids in the first post .

what do you guys think?

I don't think your slide foot position is bad at all. Your body is lined up to swing the ball out to the right and your foot is in line with the rest of your body. Don't forget that a lot of bowling advice that's still being given dates back to when almost all good bowlers were strokers and you wanted everything parallel to the lane.

scottymoney
11-13-2012, 09:33 AM
The one thing I will mention and only some advice on style. And just form observation is that you are basically standing in the gutter. From what I have heard from some pros and things I have read. That you don't want to start completely to the left as you have no place to go when your line breaks down. This is probably more for league/tournaments thing but it makes sense that if you are already in the gutter you don't have anywhere to move left to change your line. This is all speculation as I don't know if you normally play this line the entire time. My advice would be to start a bit more right (5 or so boards) and work on getting a different line. You may just need to move your target a bit to the left. But in time if you start out there you will be able to adjust through your games.

In the end this is all just an observation as maybe your lanes don't change all that much.

sukeetoshyoo88
11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
J.Anderson.
Thanks for the insight on body positioning that's kind of what I wanted to hear. Although I have been working on making it straighter. In guessing that when I play up the 10 or 15 im going to want to parallel everything up more?

Scotty.
Sundays are usually really wet so I'll play right foot. On 15. And try to swing it out a little. But I guess since. It was veterans day week end everyone was bowling that day. And the lanes were beaten up when we got there. I was thinking of lofting but I haven't really done it before. What so you guys so when you run out of lane with your weakest ball?

scottymoney
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Sukee,
I am not sure what to tell you in that case. I play all of the right side of the lane. My normal line is standing around 15 and throwing 10. I never usually have to move past 20. maybe someone can help you with that. But was also thinking the move right at the end with your sliding foot might be because you are afraid to fall in the gutter? You seem to move it right at the end when you get to the line.

Tampabaybob
11-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Now that I can see your video, your slide foot is ok. When you swing the ball, as you're doing, it's good a practice to point your toe towards your target. And you're doing that. What you need to work on, is keeping that left leg down, left toes on the floor. This is for balance. Also your left arm needs to be out straight, again for balance. Where you want to get to, is completely balanced on just your slide foot, and be able to hold that position until the ball falls off of the deck. This will improve your accuracy, leverage at the line and also of course your balance. Try this and put another video up in a week or so after trying it.

Bob

sukeetoshyoo88
11-14-2012, 03:38 AM
scotty,
i have no clue why my foot does that.
i did foul a couple times that night, so maybe subconsciously?
i do notice that i slide a a couple boards right though.

tampa,
thank you for the pointers.
i will definitely try to work on the arm and leg being straighter and to the floor.
if i can get a video next week or the week after i'll post it up.
i'll probably be throwing plenty gutters the first few games. haha.

Tampabaybob
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM
scotty,
i have no clue why my foot does that.
i did foul a couple times that night, so maybe subconsciously?
i do notice that i slide a a couple boards right though.

tampa,
thank you for the pointers.
i will definitely try to work on the arm and leg being straighter and to the floor.
if i can get a video next week or the week after i'll post it up.
i'll probably be throwing plenty gutters the first few games. haha.

Good, look forward to seeing the new videos. Don't concern yourself about the gutters, just concentrate on getting the ball to you're target....forget the gutters are even there, just watch your spot.

Bob