PDA

View Full Version : Opening up

Keithalw
10-09-2012, 03:46 AM
I have heard the phrase from a fellow bowler who is getting the deep purple and heard it on there video saying that its a good ball to open the lanes up with. What exactly do they mean by that?

bowl1820
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
In the simplest terms, "opening" the lanes up is where your trying to make the shot easier.

It's where a team or a single bowler attacks the lane in a systematic manner to breakdown the track area of the oil pattern. Which will help give them a little swing area to the right and some hold oil to the left.

Zothen
10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Think of miniture golf! Notice how some holes have a line grooved in the carpet going to the hole and if you hit it right,it will hit the line and roll right into the hole. Same is true in bowling,provided your line doesn't get messed with.

Zothen

Davec13
10-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Think of miniture golf! Notice how some holes have a line grooved in the carpet going to the hole and if you hit it right,it will hit the line and roll right into the hole. Same is true in bowling,provided your line doesn't get messed with.

Zothen
Nice analogy. I wish Friday nights were so easy. I bowl second shift and I think everyone on the first shift throws a straight balls. Then the one team on second shift is all straight ball throwers. Last week I had so much trouble trying to find any line to play on. Finally went to the last resort and played on the 2 board. I used to fear that shot, but lately it's been my only option so i'm getting used to it.

Zothen
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks Davec13! I sometimes take my spare ball and stand on 15 board and throw over 13 board. Amazing how a spare ball will hit the pocket!

Zothen

Keithalw
10-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Ok I was thinking that might be what it was but was not for sure so I thought I would ask

Tampabaybob
10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
When I was bowling in the National tournament regularly, all 5 of our team members would shoot the same exact shot and when it broke down we all would move to the same board. That opened up the shot for us easier than everyone shooting where ever they wanted. The team always made money, usually enough to pay for our trips.

Bob