PDA

View Full Version : New Guy on the Lanes

Viper
10-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Hello!

New to the site and just checking-in. Relatively new to ten-pin bowling having started four years ago. I bowled duck pins decades ago. Love the sport and bowl whenever I can. I put a lot of effort into the game--lessons, practice, books, videos, etc.--and I'm always on the lookout for some new insight and improvement. Looking forward to participating.

Viper

J Anderson
10-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Hello!

New to the site and just checking-in. Relatively new to ten-pin bowling having started four years ago. I bowled duck pins decades ago. Love the sport and bowl whenever I can. I put a lot of effort into the game--lessons, practice, books, videos, etc.--and I'm always on the lookout for some new insight and improvement. Looking forward to participating.

Viper

Welcome!

You have duckpins in Virginia? Or are you a transplanted Yankee?

billf
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading your posts.

AngeloPD
10-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Welcome to bowlingboards! i remember playing duckpins when i was about 8 years old.

Keithalw
10-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Welcome to bowlingboards... I seen videos of duck pin and if I am ever near a place that has it I want to try it lol..

Basisud
10-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Duckpin and Candlepin look like a lot of fun but not a sport that I would be able to seriously get into. If I ever have the opportunity, I will try duckpin or candlepin.

bowl1820
10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.

hehateme
10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Viper
10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Re the duckpins, last house closed in Richmond over a year ago. In the DC area, when much younger, duckpins was all that you could bowl that I remember. Never experienced candle pins (although I'd love to try it). Not sure why duckpins wouldn't be considered a sport--no one yet has bowled a perfect game in duckpins--but it certainly has died out in many locations. Regardless, it's all about the ten-pin game now!

GeoLes
10-17-2012, 03:11 PM
We bowled duck and candlepin bowling when we visited New England on vaction once. It is a much more subtle discipline. I wonder why it is not popular South of New England. It is ideal for kid's parties. The ball weighs considerably less and is about the size of a softball. When I think of it, there is no reason a little kid should have to try throwing a ball that weighs amost as much as he weighs. It makes good sense, but may not translate into dollars for a local lane. Although, many lanes do quite a few bowling parties.

Viper
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
GeoLes--I couldn't agree more. This kind of bowling takes the dynamics of today's modern ball out of the equation, that is, you get no help from core/coverstock--it's all about accuracy and repeating the shot. As I said, no 300's to date in duckpins. I'd add the senior bowlers. I think they would enjoy being to continue bowling using a much smaller and lighter ball. And you get three tries per frame! I think it would translate into $$ for the lanes; you'd only need a few on one side or the other. Kids would love it, and the younger folks who come in a night would enjoy it, too. And whatever house opened a few of the lanes, would immediately have at least one small (ten teams) league to help support it here in Richmond. I know I'd bowl in it.