PDA

View Full Version : Flat Throws

Greenday
10-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Last night, in my league, something changed in my throw and my hook became flat. It didn't feel like my arm was going out. I moved one board right and all of a sudden my hook came back. I except more hook when I move right, but throwing from the 20 board and hitting the second arrow was getting the correct amount of hook in the first game. Why did it all of a sudden stop working in the second game? I was able to move back to the 20 board from the 19 board beginning the third game and things worked as normal.

Any idea what kind of small changes I could have done to cause a lack of hook? My loft (Or really lack of) didn't change. For some reason, the ball just seemed to skid outwards instead of hooking through as usual.

Tampabaybob
10-11-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to visualize your line. You were dropping the ball on 20 and going out to the second arrow or you were standing on 20 shooting the second arrow?

If you were standing 20 and shooting 10 (2nd arrow) you'd probably be dropping the ball around 12 maybe even further right depending on how far you normally set your ball down from your leg. Then you said you moved one board right. With your feet or your target? If you moved one with your target, then I would say the edge of the oil is on 10 and after you moved your ball was now in the drier are on the lane and hence giving the ball some are for it to gain traction.
Most THS shots are of a Christmas tree shape and the second arrow in to the middle is your heavier oil area. With that said, next week, start off where you're dropping the ball on or about 10 - 13 (give yourself about a 3 board +/- area) and shoot just to the right of the 2nd arrow. That will get the ball down into the oil, and swing it out to the drier area where it will go into the hook phase then roll. See if that works.
I think you were just in the heavier oil to start then when you moved right your ball then got into the drier area.

Bob

Greenday
10-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I moved my feet and started on the 19th board and still continued to aim at the 10th board.

It had no problem dealing with the oil in the first game. So I'm not sure what changed in my throw that made it flatten out. Some change in my hand maybe? I don't know.

Greenday
10-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Hm, had bowling lessons today. Apparently when I've been throwing the ball, my hand has been bending backwards, which sends it into a roll too early and takes all the power out of it. Within two throws, I was properly holding the ball and my hand was following through the ball instead of being so far behind it. Holy crap did that make a difference. Ball skidded longer then slammed into the pocket. Destroyed pins.

billf
10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I would bet it was a hand or wrist issue. That's one of the few things I believe would come and go like that.

Tampabaybob
10-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Definitely, a wrist issue. When you break your wrist back, you're actually going to flatten out the ball. I purposely do this when I'm shooting the 10 pin so it won't hook. Try to feel your wrist sating flat through the back swing. If you feel it break, slap on a wrist guard until it feels strong enough to keep it straight. Good observation by your coach. Money well spent.

Bob

Greenday
10-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Definitely, a wrist issue. When you break your wrist back, you're actually going to flatten out the ball. I purposely do this when I'm shooting the 10 pin so it won't hook. Try to feel your wrist sating flat through the back swing. If you feel it break, slap on a wrist guard until it feels strong enough to keep it straight. Good observation by your coach. Money well spent.

Bob

Yea, once I figured out how to keep my wrist straight, it made a load of a difference. I've never seen my ball hit with such power.

Tampabaybob
10-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Some bowlers are fortunate to have very strong wrists that will allow them to continually hold it straight throughout the backswing. Sounds like you're one of those people. For some with weaker wrists, they can always go to a wrist guard for support to keep it in a proper position. There's a thread going on right now about those and I definately approve of bowlers using them when needed.

Glad you were able to feel and see the difference it makes. Depending on what sort of line you normally play, once you get really comfortable with locking your wrist, try changing your hand positions to effect a different roll of the ball on different conditions. Good luck.

Bob