PDA

View Full Version : Does experience gained from other sports.....

Doghouse Reilly
10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
--if you played another sport--

Do find the expereince gained from it help s you with your bowling?

AZBowla
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Golf might be a good one for your mental game, as nothing will get your goat faster than hitting a nice solid drive right into the trees or the pond, lol. I learned from trying golf that I'm much better at bowling (so you can just about imagine how horrible of a golfer I am, lol).

Besides, as Jim Gaffigan says, what other sport is there out there where you can eat some nachos while you play? Come on, that's one of the reasons why bowling is so much better than other sports. :)

Greenday
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Maybe Golf in that it's not about trying to swing/throw hard, it's about the smoothness and repetition of the throw/swing.

Definitely nothing helps from my time playing soccer, football, or baseball.

AZBowla
10-11-2012, 07:37 PM
How about Skee-ball? Sounds silly, but if you could sink that little wooden ball into the 100,000 point chute every time in Skee Ball, then I bet you could hit that lousy 7 or 10 pin every time too. ;) The plus side of that one is that most bowling alleys have skee ball machines, so you could practice in the same place, plus if you have kids like I do, they enjoy cashing in all those tickets you win for them. Of course (he says afterwards) all those quarters spent playing skee ball haven't paid off yet in my bowling game, but I think the theory is solid...

Davec13
10-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I was in track in high school ran a little but mainly threw shot and discus. The footwork transferred nicely, also a big thing with shot and disc was fluid motion which also helps out in bowling.

I'd be willing to bet curling would transfer skills nicely ;)

Davec13
10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
How about Skee-ball? Sounds silly, but if you could sink that little wooden ball into the 100,000 point chute every time in Skee Ball, then I bet you could hit that lousy 7 or 10 pin every time too. ;) The plus side of that one is that most bowling alleys have skee ball machines, so you could practice in the same place, plus if you have kids like I do, they enjoy cashing in all those tickets you win for them. Of course (he says afterwards) all those quarters spent playing skee ball haven't paid off yet in my bowling game, but I think the theory is solid...

Definitely a no with skee ball. I have a 13' skee ball machine in my home arcade and I play way more than most people and I don't think it has helped me at all

Greenday
10-11-2012, 08:27 PM

I don't think skeeball has helped me at all with bowling. Bowling has definitely made skeeball harder though. I keep hooking the ball...

AZBowla
10-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Well I guess it was just a theory, lol. I thought the skills might carry over but apparently not. I guess that explains why it hasn't helped my game any lol :D

billf
10-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Football and baseball helped with the focus and having a training plan. Also helps with team events, having to do your part all for the betterment of the team. Plus bowling for 8 hours doesn't have squat on two a days plus the training I did on my own between them.

snugbucco
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Going back to the skiball thing. I do believe there is a "touch gene" and If you have it you can transition easier into different sports. even tho skiball isnt a sport! but you know what I mean, some people just have great touch.. :)

coachkapps
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Ask WRW....he'd say horseshoes.

snugbucco
10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
i guess anything that involves hand eye coordination can attribute towards bowling, and horse shoes is a perfect example. I forgot WRW said that helped him transition into the sport when he was like 10 and a world renown horseshoe player.

Thats one reason I was looking into putting horse shoe setup in my back yard this past summer. That and my pops thinks he is god at horseshoes, gonna have to pwn him!

Tampabaybob
10-13-2012, 08:09 AM
My Dad was also a golfer and always wanted me to play. When I did, and actually hated it, I learned one very valuable lesson. I prefer a sport where my balls come back to me !

Bob

bowl1820
10-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Golf has gone hand in hand with bowling for years. Since golf involves lots walking and that strengthens the legs, a lot of bowling is centered on the legs so helps there.

There was a golf & bowling league here, something like shoot 9 holes and then go bowl 3 games.

Davec13
10-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Golf has gone hand in hand with bowling for years. Since golf involves lots walking and that strengthens the legs, a lot of bowling is centered on the legs so helps there.

There was a golf & bowling league here, something like shoot 9 holes and then go bowl 3 games.

Are you sure it's the leg strength connection or could it be both games used to advocate drinking and smoking? I mean if it's nice outside you go and hit a few balls have a few beers and a cigar and if it's crappy you can go to the lanes throw a few balls have a few beers and a cigar. ;)

martinezsam2495
10-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Cross Country, has definitely helped me on my mental game. I can stay calm, unlike some people.

billf
10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
When I attended my bronze certification course I had the privilege of working with a young lady named Regina for my final. She had been bowling for 8 months, threw a straight ball (or tried to) and had horrendous form. Regina's background was in dance and gymnastics. That meant she was use to taking different sections or steps and adding them together. At the end of the session she was able to stand on 20, throw her Cyclone out to 8 and have it come back to the pocket. Her finish position was picture perfect (I caught her working on it during the lunch break) and her speed went from 8 mph to 14 mph.
Her training growing up helped tremendously. She worked hard because that's what she new and said her gymnastics training taught her that relentlessness. I was impressed that she took notes and had a list of questions when she came and a list of what she wanted to accomplish in our session.