PDA

View Full Version : 14lb/more revs vs 15lb/less revs?

Ball99999
10-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm kind of curious what might be the best way to go?

billf
10-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Depends. What's the difference in revs? Are you sure you will have a difference? My rev rate stayed the same going from 16 to 15. My speed went up slightly so it was closer to being matched.

Ball99999
10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Just practicing at home I can get more revs on my 14..
Not a huge difference but something

billf
10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Don't get caught up with the rev game. Revs are nice but too much of anything is not a good thing (other than sex). Other than that, try it and see if you like what you end up with.

bowl1820
10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm kind of curious what might be the best way to go?

Without knowing what your trying to accomplish there would be no way to answer this question.

Dropping one pound in weight would only give you about a 4% gain in rev's. If the core changes in dynamics, that difference can be exaggerated or reduced.

Ball99999
10-12-2012, 09:17 PM
It feels easier to bowl with the 14 lber but I have no problem bowling with a 15 lber.
I'm wondering if 15lbs would be better for ball speed since the heavier something is the faster it'll fall.

bowl1820
10-12-2012, 09:33 PM
It feels easier to bowl with the 14 lber but I have no problem bowling with a 15 lber.
I'm wondering if 15lbs would be better for ball speed since the heavier something is the faster it'll fall.

The heavier something is the faster it'll fall?????

Ball99999
10-12-2012, 09:46 PM
The heavier something is the faster it'll fall?????

Would it not?

billf
10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
When objects fall on Earth, they accelerate at 9.8 meters per second per second -- or 9.81 meters per second squared (m/s2 or ms-2) -- which is known as the acceleration due to gravity. The mass (or weight) of the object does not affect the rate of acceleration; all objects accelerate downward at the same rate. exept for certain objects that have a higher air resistance and lower mass E.g. polystyrene and feathers (unless it is in a vacuum- look below)
The above is true for objects falling in a vacuum, which is rarely the case on Earth, where air resistance works against the object and prevents it from picking up more speed. On the moon, which has no atmosphere and is a virtual vacuum, objects accelerate much more slowly than on Earth -- only 1.6 m/s2 -- but achieve much greater velocities in free-fall because there is no air resistance.
More discussion

The above is explaining the acceleration due to gravity. The model for the time it takes for an object to fall from rest under uniform gravitational field is: SQRT(2h)/a), where h is the height of the object and a is the acceleration due to gravity, wherever you may be in the universe. (On Earth, a = 9.81m/s2).

If there is a changing gravitational field -- that is, if you are really far from a massive object, such a planet or star -- then it involves calculus and integrals.
There is a good explanation of how fast things fall on this web site: www ae911truth org
Littlegeek's explaination:
It probably depends on gravity more than weight because a guy once dropped a lage object and a small object (the large object was heavier). They landed on the ground at the exact same time. "

bowl1820
10-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I'll just say this: You can throw a 14 pound ball faster than a 15 pound and leave Newtonian Physics and such to others. Which I see billf has done.

billf
10-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Here's a question lol
If a true free arm swing just uses gravity and momentum, how does a lighter ball go down the lane faster? Why wouldn't the heavier ball go faster given the gravitational pull would be stronger?

Ball99999
10-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I'll just say this: You can throw a 14 pound ball faster than a 15 pound and leave Newtonian Physics and such to others. Which I see billf has done.

I'm trying to avoid throwing the ball.

I hate being wrong so I'm doing more research :P

billf
10-12-2012, 10:10 PM

I haven't met anyone yet that liked being wrong yet. Some just handle it better than others, but I'm not one of them :P

Greenday
10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
It probably depends on gravity more than weight because a guy once dropped a large object and a small object (the large object was heavier). They landed on the ground at the exact same time. "

Technically, an object with more mass would have a higher gravitational pull. The only problem is, the weight is the balls aren't different enough for it to be relevant.

Tampabaybob
10-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Wow......now we need to start DR. BILL, PHD LOL

Bob

billf
10-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I said before I'm a science geek. My specialty is Quantum Physics. The hard part is putting it in terms everyone can grasp instead of just using formulas most people don't recognize.

billf
10-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Technically, an object with more mass would have a higher gravitational pull. The only problem is, the weight is the balls aren't different enough for it to be relevant.

Correct, mass not actual size determines the gravitational pull. Gravitational pull is what determines weight (on Earth with no vacuum). The point being though is no matter the pull or size, objects fall at the same rate when the friction from air is removed. The larger object would naturally create more friction from dispersing a higher volume of air.

Tampabaybob
10-14-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm trying to avoid throwing the ball.

In my many years of coaching, I can tell you one way to judge this. Many times bowlers with good strength, throwing a lighter ball will over throw the ball. In other words sometimes, actually many times, a little more weight will stabilize a persons swing plane. I see it all the time with younger players, and all you have to do is move them up a pound or two. A lighter ball allows more speed and revs, this is true, but the arm swing will also be able to pull the ball easier, too.

If you can throw throw a 15 and not experience any discomfort, I'd say stick with that. Remember you're rolling that ball against over 35#'s of pins. Advantage.....15 #'s !

Bob

billf
10-14-2012, 08:45 AM
At the ideal weight you will control the ball, not the ball control you. Also you want to be able to roll the ball with the correct timing. Too light and it will be thrown, too heavy and you can't control it. Too heavy and the end timing is usually too early, too light and it ends up late. This happens because when it's too light you have a tendency to muscle it more trying to create more speed and revs. Muscling the ball actually causes the swing to slow down a few thousandths of a second.

GoodGorilla
10-20-2012, 03:29 PM
I can tell you this much. My lil bro uses 14, and I use 15. His ball deflects alot more than mine, I've seen shots of his that would have been strikes if it was 15 pounds. But if you can't throw it with accuracy, there is no point in having a heavier ball.