PDA

View Full Version : Elite?

Demoman
10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone - I was wondering if anyone around here has or does use elite products and specifically elite balls. There is not much reviews available around the net and none on these boards for any of the recent releases.I understand it's probably because of the price point but there are a few sites that have them around the normal high perf price of $130-150 and had thought about trying one out at a demo at the least.

billf
10-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Never heard of them before and no info about the company on their website either.

Demoman
10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Really? I remember the original alien being the hot ball 5 years ago. They now have the red and black alien and the reviews I seen are good but there is not many of them. The platinum is always the highest marked ball in any pro shop or site I have seen at $300.

billf
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Dude, I'm in the Mid-West. We get everything last lol
I've been here ten years but from what I can remember, everything was more expensive in Massachusetts. So your $300 ball might be $200 here (just kidding. Ball prices are suppose to be regulated).

Example of the price difference. I sold my 1500 sq ft house in Brockton for $180,000. Bought a 3600 sq ft house here for $109,000 and it came with 5 acres of land. That was all in 2002 before the housing market took a dump.

eugene02
10-12-2012, 10:30 PM
bill.. a 2200 sq ft penthouse for condominiums in my country cost 1.5mil SGD. so.. hmm...

bowl1820
10-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Billf Elite has been around for several years and depending on who you ask. They are either overlooked premium balls for the "Elite bowler" or overpriced hype.

There are very few people around that use them. I've only see maybe two at out of all the alleys I've ever been to.

Bowling this month has only reviewed 7 of them in 4 years.

Demoman
10-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Bill I lived in Cleveland area for two years - moved there for the low home costs so I know what your talking about! I could not handle the slow atmosphere and it taking two hours to get a pound of cheese so I moved back to mass but have nothing but great respect for the mid west as I overall enjoyed my time there. I noticed one of the moderators here (or former cant tell if he's still around) worked or works for elite so I posted in another topic asking if he still gets discounts.

On the topic of elite balls as bowl1820 expressed I have not seen any on the lanes in years also and wondered how they progressed. That's Basicley why I was asking here to see if anyone uses them. I would never pay $300 for any bowling ball but I see them around for a more reasonable rate now and wondered if that spiked any interest in the brand and some reviews.

Davec13
10-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Really? I remember the original alien being the hot ball 5 years ago. They now have the red and black alien and the reviews I seen are good but there is not many of them. The platinum is always the highest marked ball in any pro shop or site I have seen at $300.

One guy on the Friday night leagues was telling me he just bought an alien. I haven't seen it yet, but if he brings it i'll try and steal a couple of shots with it.

Demoman
10-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Hey Davec - any luck with trying out the elite?

Davec13
10-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Hopefully tonight, We went out of town last week and the week before he wasn't there.

Davec13
10-27-2012, 04:40 PM
got a chance to throw it a couple of times. It was way to much ball for second shift THS. It seemed nice enough, but until I could actually throw it on decent conditions I can't really give a good review.

Demoman
10-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks davec! Im probably not going to get a elite, if I do buy it will be a dv8 to see what all the hype is about around here.

Davec13
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Well for the price of the elite you could get 2 DV8 balls. I think the elite is one of those balls that would be awesome if you bowled in a ton of tourneys on heavy oil, but it's way to much ball for your average league.

The DV8 balls in my opinion are way more versatile and can be used anywhere (as you see by all the glowing recommendations). Like I said though i threw the ball on way less than optimal conditions.

Ball99999
10-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone - I was wondering if anyone around here has or does use elite products and specifically elite balls. There is not much reviews available around the net and none on these boards for any of the recent releases.I understand it's probably because of the price point but there are a few sites that have them around the normal high perf price of $130-150 and had thought about trying one out at a demo at the least.

They seem pretty lame to me. "Look we'll charge double so people think if they pay more they'll get a better ball"

Demoman
10-28-2012, 09:37 PM
The one I was looking at was a blemished elite gold for $100. Also while yes most sites have them up to $300 I have found a good number of them that are at normal high perf price point. It's hard to know for sure without trying a ball out for yourself. While dv8 gets glowing reviews on these forums I can't say that I know anyone is any of my leagues that has one and the one person I did know says it died after 30 games even with a pro shop cleaning. There is also a few similar reviews online about dv8 balls dying quickly. With elite I have never even seen one and reviews are even harder to find. I'm happy with my purple taboo but looking for something for medium oil so I was thinking about the blemished gold or a marauder madness.

Davec13
10-28-2012, 10:02 PM
You are going to have a few dud balls out there that will wear out premature, just like anything sold sometimes people get a dud. Did the person you know who had the problem try and call DV8? They have a wonderful customer service dept and will go out of their way to make things right (just ask bill). Dv8 is also a new spin off of brunswick, and for awhile (after moving to Mexico) brunswick got a bad name. People are still associating that bad rep with DV8 and are sort of unwilling to try them out. DV8 also doesn't pay for space at pro shops like some of the other manufacturers do. So if you start asking at a pro shop you will get steered towards the ball they make more money off of (unfortunately). You have seen the amount of support DV8 gets at this site and there is one good reason for that support, the balls work well. In the end though it's your money and your choice as to what you throw. I wouldn't let a few bad online reviews scare you away though. I have convinced a few local people to switch the DV8 and not one of them has be disappointed and most of them thanked me for getting them to try the ball.

Demoman
10-28-2012, 10:27 PM
You are going to have a few dud balls out there that will wear out premature, just like anything sold sometimes people get a dud. Did the person you know who had the problem try and call DV8? They have a wonderful customer service dept and will go out of their way to make things right (just ask bill). Dv8 is also a new spin off of brunswick, and for awhile (after moving to Mexico) brunswick got a bad name. People are still associating that bad rep with DV8 and are sort of unwilling to try them out. DV8 also doesn't pay for space at pro shops like some of the other manufacturers do. So if you start asking at a pro shop you will get steered towards the ball they make more money off of (unfortunately). You have seen the amount of support DV8 gets at this site and there is one good reason for that support, the balls work well. In the end though it's your money and your choice as to what you throw. I wouldn't let a few bad online reviews scare you away though. I have convinced a few local people to switch the DV8 and not one of them has be disappointed and most of them thanked me for getting them to try the ball.

Yeah I knew dv8 is a spin off Brunswick which is kinda why I had reservations. Not to long ago I got the nexus p&r and 4 games into it the ball cracked badly and deeply. That's how I ended up with the purple taboo which I'm overall happy with until the lanes break down and it's just to much ball - its a hook monster! With all that said I know it's a few and far between thing and I agree that I should not let it scare me and that's why the marauder madness is at the top of my list right now. Thanks for the info I will keep you updated and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a dv8