PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Goals for Lower Average Youth Bowlers

nolegirl
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi all,
I coach the age division that is right after the kids are off bumpers. They range in age from 7 to 11, and in average from 50 to 120. The kids don't have much focus, so I thought this season I would try a sticker chart as an incentive to get specific goals. I'm having trouble thinking of multiple different achievements that would be good for all of the kids. Thought some fellow youth coaches or parents might have some suggestions :)

martinezsam2495
10-13-2012, 08:43 PM
1. Make a spare
2. Get a strike
3. Get a double
4. Get a Turkey
5. Get a 4 bagger
6. Get 5 in a row
7. Get 6 in a row
8. Get 7 in a row
9. Get 8 in a row
10. Get 9 in a row
11. Get 10 in a row
12. Get 11 in a row
13. WOW YOU BOWLED A 300
jk
in all seriousness, you should do up to number 5 I believe, and set up goals that involve fun. Because at that age, most don't take bowling seriously and just do it to have fun, heck I'm 17 and I still do it to have fun haha
But start off low, and have some things like if you bowl a 100 you get a candy, then after that add another 5 pins to get another candy, so they would have to hit 105, if they bowl another 100 it doesn't count.

billf
10-13-2012, 09:15 PM
I hate to say it but with some, I celebrate just hitting the pins. Seems some have left the bumpers too soon. It does get difficult with such a large gap in averages. Multiple marks in a game, sportsmanship of the day, double, no gutters.

jimlc2001
10-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I would say hitting their target and having a consistent approach and delivery.

nolegirl
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I think my final thing that I'm going to try is to do 2 kinds of sticker charts. One is going to have behavior, sportsmanship, and special achievements (multiple strikes, multiple spares, no gutters, converting splits, clean game). The kid with the most stickers on this one at the end of each half of the season is going to get a prize, haven't decided what yet but I'll most likely do something from the pro shop. The other chart is going to be a team effort -- it'll have a spot to place a sticker every time someone gets a strike, and after however many strikes (right now I'm thinking 25 between 7 of them, maybe more though) I'll do a group prize like a pizza party or something. Just thought I'd share the idea =)

75lockwood
10-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Some other goals could be high game/series instead of just marks, things like:

50 game
75 game
100 game
125 game
etc

200 series
250 series
300 series
etc

i beat my average,

50 over average
100 over average

i beat my coach

bowler of the month (bowler with highest pins over average)

first spare
first strike
first double
first turkey

clean game

remember, its about having fun, make it as fun as possible for them.