PDA

View Full Version : Kegel- middle Road

Hot_pocket
10-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey guys its been a while since iv'e been on ....laptop problems. But anyway in the past 3 weeks iv'e bowled twice as a sub in a sport shot league and the shot we were on was middle road. I couldnt seem to find the line which really killed me i didnt break 500 either night that i bowled. I also know even though i average between 200-215 on a house shot that on a pattern im probably more like 185-200 (thats me being generous to myself) lol. The question is has anyone bowled on it and what was your scores and experience on it? What line / lines did you play?

Zothen
10-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I believe their are several of those patterns. Rule of thumb is to subtract 31. If the pattern is say 35',then your line should be 4 board.

Zothen

bowl1820
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
The subtract 31 formula just gives the exit point of the oil pattern. Mid. road length is 39' so the exit point would be the 8 board.

Using Mo's breakpoint formula
Mo: "Read the pattern pdf and find the corner of the highest red bar. Subtract 3 and that's where your breakpoint should be to start. Take the length of the pattern minus 31 rule and shove it. Not accurate."

For Middle of the road the corner of the highest red bar is on 14, that put's your starting point for the breakpoint on 11.

I'd say start there and take your benchmark ball throw it and make any necessary adjustments (Ball, line etc.) from there. Most talk about that pattern have put the breakpoint around 7-8 just past the end of the pattern.

Hot_pocket
10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
ok i never actually heard of 31 formula

billf
10-21-2012, 01:24 AM
I played it this way; lay down at 20, cross 13 at the arrows with a break point of 7. I used the Nexxus the first two games then the Reckless and Misfit. 201, 199, 204
I had to go in my bag and dig out my notepad as I wasn't even sure if I had played this pattern. Turns out it was June 6th of this year. If you're curious, my speed was 16.9-17.2 on strike shots. I was on lanes 7 & 8. The weather was 87* but humid. That's about all my notes had other than in big letters "KEEP THIS LINE"

bowl1820
10-21-2012, 09:04 AM
ok i never actually heard of 31 formula

The 31 formula (Pattern Length - 31 = Exit Point) is from the article Advanced Targeting by Joe Slowinski

you can read more about it here:
http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=46

The original formula was (pattern length - 35 + 4 = where the ball should exit) but was shortened. But the formula has a flaw when dealing with short patterns.

The break point formula is from Mo Pinel

GeoLes
11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
The subtract 31 formula just gives the exit point of the oil pattern. Mid. road length is 39' so the exit point would be the 8 board.

Using Mo's breakpoint formula
Mo: "Read the pattern pdf and find the corner of the highest red bar. Subtract 3 and that's where your breakpoint should be to start. Take the length of the pattern minus 31 rule and shove it. Not accurate."

For Middle of the road the corner of the highest red bar is on 14, that put's your starting point for the breakpoint on 11.

I'd say start there and take your benchmark ball throw it and make any necessary adjustments (Ball, line etc.) from there. Most talk about that pattern have put the breakpoint around 7-8 just past the end of the pattern.

Bowl1820, you must be an electrician, because the light bulb just went on. That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanx.

Ludeth
12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Bowl1820, you must be an electrician, because the light bulb just went on. That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanx.

I will not lie, I am very new so most of this went over my head.. but I laughed pretty hard at this one liner.