PDA

View Full Version : Had my first tournament today

martinezsam2495
10-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Today was.... I would say different. The lanes weren't what I expected them to be, which is a good thing. But I had trouble finding a line to play by. By the 2nd game I was playing towards the middle because the ball wouldn't hook and if it did, it would leave a nasty split. The tournament was a no tap, and I had fun, I got some good strikes in there, as long as some (no tap) strikes
First game was 150
2nd game was 234
3rd game 195
I'm glad to have this experience, and I need to learn to cope with the pressure, One of my friends who works at the bowling alley, bowled with his daughter, (it was a youth and a adult bowler pair tournament) He bowled a 300 first game 300 2nd game, and a 297, ouch haha Everyone was watching at the end of their seats and on his last throw, it looked like a strike shot left him a nasty split. I'm pretty sure he won some scholarship for his daughter. His daughter is only 8 and she bowled good as well! She averaged around a 135,
This tournament came to show how much more practice I need playing at different lines.

Davec13
10-15-2012, 10:22 AM
The last no tap I shot in I was either striking or hitting 8 :mad: That was the only time I was literally hoping I would leave that dang 10 pin.

Sounds like you had fun though and in the end that's all that matters.

J Anderson
10-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Glad you had fun. Getting used to the pressure is really a matter of you deciding how much pressure to put on yourself. A few butterflies are usually a good thing, just enough adrenaline to be ready to execute good shots. Bill Russell, without a doubt, one of the greatest centers in pro basketball, was supposedly so uptight that he would throw-up before every game. You will find out how much stress is best for you and develop techniques to keep you at that optimum level.
When it stops being fun, take a break from the sport for awhile.

billf
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
No tap is a trip. For some odd reason my average is usually the same. Instead of 9/ I end up with 8/. It's a foucs thing because you know you only need 9. Glad to see your second and third games were a lot better than your first. Keep entering all the tournaments that you can. They get easier to deal with. My league games are usually 50 pins over my practice for score games and tournaments are 20 over league.

Basisud
10-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't bowl in the local 9 pin tap tournament anymore. It turns out to be a drunk fest that I don't partake in. It can be fun though losing with an 800 against someone that shoots nearly 900 or does shoot 900.

Davec13
10-16-2012, 05:17 PM
No tap is a trip. For some odd reason my average is usually the same. Instead of 9/ I end up with 8/. It's a foucs thing because you know you only need 9. Glad to see your second and third games were a lot better than your first. Keep entering all the tournaments that you can. They get easier to deal with. My league games are usually 50 pins over my practice for score games and tournaments are 20 over league.

I think it all depends on who I'm bowling against to how good I score. It kind of makes me mad at times. We bowl a blind team and you just have to shoot average. Those nights I seem to struggle. I don't know if it's the timing or lack of competition, but I just suck those nights. When we bowl against the good teams or go head to head with someone my scores are always higher. It makes no sense though as it's always the same shot, so theoretically I should bowl the same all the time, but I don't :mad:

J Anderson
10-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I think it all depends on who I'm bowling against to how good I score. It kind of makes me mad at times. We bowl a blind team and you just have to shoot average. Those nights I seem to struggle. I don't know if it's the timing or lack of competition, but I just suck those nights. When we bowl against the good teams or go head to head with someone my scores are always higher. It makes no sense though as it's always the same shot, so theoretically I should bowl the same all the time, but I don't :mad:

I think that as humans we are wired to compete, and the presence of an opponent prompts a bit of fight or flight response, letting us perform at a higher level.

billf
10-16-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm with John on this one, Dave. I too struggle more against a lower average opponent or worse yet, the vacant team. That's what has me worried for Saturday. Struggling so far this week and we bowl the vacant team and are tied for first. Not a good time to be bowling under average.