PDA

View Full Version : Need Help playing around middle arrow and past mid

GoodGorilla
10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
I just started trying to play the middle part of the lane. What are you suppose to change besides your ball speed and revs? Feet position? Shoulders? Axis of rotation? Different ball layout? Walk path? Increased hand rotation? Something I havn't mentioned? For me I was playing around the third arrow and starting with my right foot being on the center dot, I also only do one cross overstep at the first step which I may want to cange in the future. I was using a 15 pound IQ ball and just throwing it around 14 mph which I normally throw around 18. I also make sure I get under the ball and get a good release on it, and that's about all I do. My break point was hitting around the 10 board or so, and my results have been mostly 9 hits. There have been a few releases where the ball would grab around the 5 board but not often. The way I am throwing it, it seems impossible to play the arrows past the middle arrow.

J Anderson
10-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I just started trying to play the middle part of the lane. What are you suppose to change besides your ball speed and revs? Feet position? Shoulders? Axis of rotation? Different ball layout? Walk path? Increased hand rotation? Something I havn't mentioned? For me I was playing around the third arrow and starting with my right foot being on the center dot, I also only do one cross overstep at the first step which I may want to cange in the future. I was using a 15 pound IQ ball and just throwing it around 14 mph which I normally throw around 18. I also make sure I get under the ball and get a good release on it, and that's about all I do. My break point was hitting around the 10 board or so, and my results have been mostly 9 hits. There have been a few releases where the ball would grab around the 5 board but not often. The way I am throwing it, it seems impossible to play the arrows past the middle arrow.

It would be helpful to know where you are at the foul line. Actually, where is the ball at release?

Guessing from your break point and target you don't have a lot of hook. When you move closer to the middle, especially on fresh oil your angle to the pocket will decrease, resulting in less pin carry. When I practice 3rd 4th or 5th arrow its more about getting used to hitting a different target than getting strikes. Hopefully when the conditions are right for playing deep inside I will be ready. More axis rotation should help. You also need to open your shoulders more to match the angle of the line you are playing.

Zothen
10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
For me I usually play anywhere from standing on the 22 board-17 board and throw over 8-13 board depending on where the dry line is. It's easier if your a down & in as oppose to coast-coast player.

Down & In=Throwing over say 10 board and it curves to pocket

Coast-Coast=Throwing over say 25 board and ball rolls over 10 board and turns and hooks to pocket after making stop at 8 board.

Zothen

billf
10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
How are your feet in your starting stance? Are they together or is the slide foot slightly ahead? The crossover step is to help align your shoulders to your target. Playing inside you no longer want to be totally square to the foul line. Increase your axis rotation if you can. You can always back it off if need be. Up your rev rate too. I usually start people off with balls drilled real strong with pin down to help them out until they get the hang of it. You will also eventually be able to throw at your normal speed.
You're getting 9 counts. any pin in particular that you are leaving?

Ball99999
10-16-2012, 01:20 AM
In all my time bowling I notice my biggest "this is too easy to strike" runs are when I'm standing on 30 and go over 2nd arrow.

GoodGorilla
10-16-2012, 06:35 AM
How are your feet in your starting stance? Are they together or is the slide foot slightly ahead? The crossover step is to help align your shoulders to your target. Playing inside you no longer want to be totally square to the foul line. Increase your axis rotation if you can. You can always back it off if need be. Up your rev rate too. I usually start people off with balls drilled real strong with pin down to help them out until they get the hang of it. You will also eventually be able to throw at your normal speed.
You're getting 9 counts. any pin in particular that you are leaving?

Mostly ringing 10's. I could have made a small adjustment, but I was trying to focus on getting further out. I read in a book that strokers have a hard time playing out that far, which I find myself being a stroker without having measured my revs. My feet are side by side. That makes sense not being square at the foul line, my IQ ball that I was using has the pin below the ring finger, and the center of gravity is not far below that, I can't recall the pin distance I think it's 3 to 4 inch. Yesterday I wasn't practicing playing deep, I was throwing my nomral game which I did well. I normally stand with my left foot on the center arrow and throw at the second arrow after taking one crossover step in the approach. Today I'll practice playing deep and trying to not square away, while having my right foot slightly behind my left. I forget, I think I heard norm duke say something like not squaring your shoulders on the stance also for playing deep.

Tampabaybob
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Good, I also was a stroker then changed a few things and now I guess I'm what you would call a power tweener. It is difficult for strokers to go inside because of the changes you need to make in your entire approach. I agree with john that your shoulders need to be open more at the line. Your torso should be facing the area of your break point so that the swing plane of your arm will swing towards that area.

Speed wise, if you're having trouble getting the ball back from the middle arrow (at 14 mph), you're probably crossing thru a lot of oil. Two things you can do....change your roll axis and crank the ball for more revs, and/or get a much more aggressive ball. You may even have to do all three. I have difficulty shooting deep inside also, so I usually stay right of third arrow and swing somewhere between 1st and 2nd arrow.

Bob

billf
10-16-2012, 10:41 PM
The hardest part is going from one extreme to the other during the same game.

GoodGorilla
10-17-2012, 08:10 AM
I practiced playing deep last night and I did great! There was one game I had a 4 bagger and a turkey or two in the same game, high 200's. The first game I noticed that it was going to go well after I was really focusing on having my shoulder's face the break point, and my right foot starting by my left ancle. I was standing with my left foot on two dots left of the center dot, and I was making the ball cross just inside the third arrow, the ball was breaking somewhere before the 10'th board. The ball was just hammering the pocket. After the lane broke down while playing with my brother, the ball wasn't being very predictable, and I tried to move deeper out, but wasn't successful. I wasn't really focusing on my speed to much, I was just trying to train myself to not square my shoulders which I did anyway a few times by accident that resulted in brooklyn strikes. It is difficult to repeat having your shoulders not squared. I mean, it's easy to remember to have your shoulders line up with the foul line.