PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a harder time than I thought distinguishing balls.

Ball99999
10-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Ok I have a 15 lb Modern Marvel, 15lb Misfit and a 14lb Damage.

I feel like release has a lot to do with it. I think if I come around the side of the ball too much (and really not THAT much, I'm not going around the front of the ball) I might be spinning it. So I'm thinking just a slight turn and then coming through the ball with my fingers.

Now I know that I probably can't go straight with the Modern Marvel. I was actually having a little bit of decent play by throwing it over third-middle arrow tonight and standing far left. I feel like I don't see a massive move though, it doesn't snap back. I don't see it hooking a lot. Release problem?

Now obviously the Modern Marvel and Damage are different I can tell that. But not sure about Modern Marvel vs Misfit.

The German Shepherd
10-17-2012, 08:06 AM
If you are throwing over the 3rd and 4th arrows, you are playing in the deepest concentration of oil, so you shouldn't expect as much break as if you are playing outside. If you do come around the side a bit, you can expect more hook from the outside.

Jay

GeoLes
10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
As I understand it, you achieve spinning by releasing the with hand above the ball, rather than behind or under the ball. There are release drills that can make you aware of what happens at the point of release. If you release each ball the same way at the same target, in an isolated drill, you can experience the difference in reactions.

billf
10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Is there a reason you insist on playing so deep? Is it just a preference?

Ball99999
10-18-2012, 01:59 AM
As I understand it, you achieve spinning by releasing the with hand above the ball, rather than behind or under the ball. There are release drills that can make you aware of what happens at the point of release. If you release each ball the same way at the same target, in an isolated drill, you can experience the difference in reactions.

I definitely don't come up the top of the ball so that's good.

Ball99999
10-18-2012, 02:00 AM
I definitely don't come up the top of the ball so that's good.

I'm trying to play where the ball will hit the pocket. I would prefer to play straight.

GoodGorilla
10-18-2012, 08:22 AM
You also have to have your shoulders not squared away at the foul line. Then your shoulders need to be facing where you want the ball to break. If you want the ball to hook more you got to have the break point somewhere before the 10th board. You also got to rev it real hard, and or throw it slower.

Tampabaybob
10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm trying to play where the ball will hit the pocket. I would prefer to play straight.

If your preference is to play a straighter line ( & I'm with Bill here) why then are you playing deep inside? Are the lanes you're shooting on that dry between the 1 & 10 board or what? What's the shot/oil pattern like at this center? If you're throwing the ball "outside" and coming straight up behind the ball what type of reaction are you getting? It's tough to say exactly what's happening from this vantage point, without knowing a few of the specifics of what you're up against. Let us know and we'll see if we can help you figure this out.

Bob

Ball99999
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes very dry lately. I've bowled on fresh oil and this is worlds different.

Anyway I was thinking of going back to a up-the-back of the ball release. Is that a bad idea? I saw that pros use it with cocked wrist and still get a hook. Will I lose too much energy? I kind of want to switch for consistency reasons

billf
10-21-2012, 01:01 AM
I would like to chime in with one thing I keep hearing or reading about playing deep. "Slow the ball down". That's BS plain and simple. If you can't get the ball to hook hard enough off the break point at your regular speed then you have an issue with either lane conditions or the ball. If you are slowing the speed down then you are counting on being more rev dominant than prior to get the hook. I know personally some great bowlers who average 20mph at the pins and play deep. Do you think Tommy Jones, Sean Rash, Jason Belmonte or Osku Palermo slow the ball down to make it hook? If you're ball is matched to the lane conditions and designed and layed out to play deep, then you can keep the speed at your normal rate.
Hey, Jason JaMu24, you can't play that deep. You throw the ball too fast. Guess you will have to give back those 300s.

Stormed1
10-29-2012, 04:12 AM
KEEP IN MIND THE THE BASIC REACTION SHAPE OF THE mODERN mARVEL IS AN ARCING MOTION AND NOT A "hokey stick" kind of motion

Ball99999
10-29-2012, 08:21 AM
My MM can definitely hockey stick tho

75lockwood
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM
My MM can definitely hockey stick tho

on extremely dry lanes any ball can do this, on a very dry shot you can try lowering your rev rate or going to a much weaker ball (urethane or a spare ball).

try going to a ally just after they oiled the lanes, see how your ball does.

Ps. are the lanes you play on wood?

Ball99999
10-30-2012, 05:09 AM
on extremely dry lanes any ball can do this, on a very dry shot you can try lowering your rev rate or going to a much weaker ball (urethane or a spare ball).

try going to a ally just after they oiled the lanes, see how your ball does.

Ps. are the lanes you play on wood?

Possibly some. Different alleys and I do see different reactions.

Now when I bowl, the lanes are usually dry. I barely ever see oil rings on my ball. I feel like if it was heavy oil THEN maybe it would arc since I wouldn't have to throw it as fast?

When I throw my Brunswick Damage, a pearl ball, I do see more of an arc sometimes.