PDA

View Full Version : Average house oil conditions

Scojoy
10-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I know I could ask my local bowling manager but how often do most houses oil the lanes? Any idea what he most common patterns would be? Looking for a ball that might be versatile enough for the majority of lanes around me but it would seem that you'd need a few balls to really be ready for anything but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tell what I'd need.

J Anderson
10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I know I could ask my local bowling manager but how often do most houses oil the lanes? Any idea what he most common patterns would be? Looking for a ball that might be versatile enough for the majority of lanes around me but it would seem that you'd need a few balls to really be ready for anything but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tell what I'd need.

My local center claims, and I have no reason to doubt it, that the lanes are oiled every day. I know they oil every Saturday before the youth leagues and I often see them being oiled if I practice on a weekday afternoon.

75lockwood
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
My center also oil's every day (seen it) as for the oil pattern, its hard to say the exact pattern without speaking with the owner, but unless it's a sport league its most likely going to be a THS around 38'

billf
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Most places oil before each league. I know of 4 patterns that are typically used as house shots. They are christmas tree shaped meaning there is more oil in the middle, less on the outside edges and usually dry to the fifth board.
I would suggest a symmetrical core ball for medium oil lane conditions. These tend to be more versatile to help cover the majority of the conditions you would face outside of tournaments. The DV8 Marauder is a ball that fits this category.

Ball99999
10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
My local alley doesn't oil very much apparently. I never see oil on my ball lately during league.

Greenday
10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
The place I practice near me seems to oil the lanes every day at 4pm. Not sure when else. I'm doing a tournament there this Sunday at 11:30am so I assume they'll be oiled up for that.

The place I bowl my lessons at...I have no idea. I saw them oil the lanes once around 4pm. But when I go for lessons at noon, they are usually pretty dry.

For league, I don't know. They were drier this week. It was lame. But they are usually oiled pre-league. Keyword is usually.

Scojoy
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Most places oil before each league. I know of 4 patterns that are typically used as house shots. They are christmas tree shaped meaning there is more oil in the middle, less on the outside edges and usually dry to the fifth board.
I would suggest a symmetrical core ball for medium oil lane conditions. These tend to be more versatile to help cover the majority of the conditions you would face outside of tournaments. The DV8 Marauder is a ball that fits this category.

Bill, I think you just read my mind on the new ball I'm going to get. I've got about 6 bowling centers within 10 miles and thats why I ask about the oiling topic. Seems to me if one house was really slacking or cheap, they'd oil less. Thanks for all the feedback.

The German Shepherd
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
As far as I can tell, your typical house shot will be anywhere from 38-41 feet in length and be approximately 5:1 in oil concentration inside to outside. Just exactly what volume of oil used varies from house to house. My Wednesday AM league pattern changes very little compared to my Monday night league. For example, the only changes I generally need to make during a three game set on Wednesday is with my feet - gradually moving left and finding my feet 4 or 5 boards left of where I started. On Monday nights I am moving left AND changing balls. I am left to think that perhaps the oil volume is lesser on Mondays.

Jay

MisterSinister
10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
My local house oils before every league. I heard a guy badmouthing the house when I was at a pro shop in another location. He claims they only oil on Monday and Thursday. Thats funny cause I was in a league last year on Wed, and I would always walk in and see them laying down the oil. Some people just need excuses, and want to hate someone or somewhere else.

got_a_300
10-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Our center oils the lanes right before the leagues starts
but the oiling pattern is not real constant from league to
league. Just like The German Shepherd said the oil volume
is lesser sometimes especially on the senior shot because
we have several shots programed into the oiling machine
that can be used for different leagues.

We have everything programed in to the oiling machine from
a super dry house shot all the way up to the super flooded PBA
animal shots.