PDA

View Full Version : First Real Tournament - No Tap

Greenday
10-18-2012, 09:30 PM
This weekend I'm doing my first no tap tournament. Knock down only nine pins? It's a strike. 85% handicap based on USBC average (220 average if you don't have one). I've got a 177 average so I figure that'll help. You bowl three games, four bowlers with highest series go into a playoff series.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm suffering right now from destroying my hand this week. Monday I tore a small piece of skin on the inside base of my thumb. Tore some skin from my ring finger today just below the nail to the side. And I also got cheese from a pizza fresh out of the oven on the back of my bowling hand.

My coach told me to bowl two games to warm up on Saturday. He said to go with what's been working for me and we'll continue to work on other stuff later so it won't throw me off during the tournament.

75lockwood
10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Geeze, you seem to be torturing your hand, for the tournament, just relax and have fun with it and don't kill your hand to bad before then lol

Good luck! I'm sure you will do great

bjeffe1234
10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I agree. Just relax. Focus on your mark and the other basics so that you can hit the pocket. I don't know if it's too late to get a bowling glove. It would cover/protect most of those injuries.

Greenday
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I agree. Just relax. Focus on your mark and the other basics so that you can hit the pocket. I don't know if it's too late to get a bowling glove. It would cover/protect most of those injuries.

I have one for my thumb actually. I'm trying to get away from it though since my thumb shouldn't be ripping. We ovaled my thumb hole out and that's eliminated one of my chafing areas. But the lip is still rough so that's hurting the base of my thumb. When I get my ball drilled right, it should eliminate the problem. Not much I can do for my ring finger. Just going to throw new skin on it and pray.

Davec13
10-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Just hit the pocket and hope you get good pin action if you miss. Every 9 pin I've bowled in I either strike or hit 8, and spares don't win 9 pin. The scores are also going to throw you off a bit, you could bowl a high 700 series and easily be in the bottom of the pack.

It also sounds like you need to take care of your hands a bit more.

billf
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Have fun, enjoy the experience and don't have any expectations. Like a lot of things in life, this too will be a learning experience.

Doghouse Reilly
10-20-2012, 07:19 AM
No tap s are great fun, good luck and have fun.

Greenday
10-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I decided not to bowl today so I wouldn't aggravate anything. It's three games tomorrow with a possible two extra games. I don't want to make it worse. The way it is now, I feel I should be okay to bowl tomorrow as long as I throw new skin on it.

Also, we are getting lunch with the tournament. Good deal.

billf
10-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Shoot, if I coach for a soda you can only imagine what I do for food!
That's cool that it includes lunch. Good luck and have a blast! Don't think 9-pin or you will hit less. Think like any other time you bowl.

Greenday
10-21-2012, 02:02 PM
I came in sixth place out of about forty people. Bowled a 196, a 215, and a 264. I'm really upset about that 264. I had six strikes to start, but then in the seventh I had double wood. One pin wobbled but refused to fall. Then I striked out the rest of the game. Should have been a 300. If I did get that 300, I would have been in third and in the playoffs.

The oiled the lanes right before we started. It was nice. But the oil broke down super fast on me. The third game, everyone moved to the third arrow so I had the second arrow all to myself and was crushing it.

billf
10-21-2012, 03:01 PM
6th...not too shabby. Congratulations.

Greenday
10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
It's bittersweet. I did well, but had I picked up two spares (I had a few splits that hurt me in my first two games), I would have been in the top four.

forhuskers
10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I bowled my first one earlier this year. Shot a 3 game 842 including a 300 game!

Got hot at the right time.

edpup316
10-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I find that those 170-190 avg bowlers always do well at the no-tap tournys. They have it figured out enough to be around the pocket so if they get lined up soon they will have all those good scores to go along with that handicap.