PDA

View Full Version : drawing oil out of your ball

maximumslinky
10-19-2012, 11:10 AM
im fairly new to all of this. this is only my 3rd year bowling leagues and i bowl twice a week. i asked my brother about getting oil out of your ball. he told me he just takes a small cardboard box and cut a hole in it to fit a hair dryer. he puts his ball in the box and turns the hair dryer on and comes to check on it and wipe the oil off ever 5-10 minutes. does anyone do something similar to this?

MICHAEL
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
WARNING Fire Hazard!! WARNING!!

75lockwood
10-19-2012, 01:27 PM
WARNING Fire Hazard!! WARNING!!

Michael is right, high heat + cardboard isn't a good combo a easier and much safer way to draw the oil out of the ball would be to fill a tub/large bucket with hot but not boiling water and a degreasing soap and give the ball a rub, don't let the water get to hot, you can risk damaging the ball. the say would go for the hairdryer, that much focused heat could be bad.

got_a_300
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I use a ball ring to set the ball on and then I use a really
small portable electric heater set to low heat and I just
keep the ball sprayed with ball cleaner and keep it wiped
down and rotated every few minutes until there is no oil
coming out of the ball any longer.

Zothen
10-19-2012, 01:44 PM
If you want to get oil out,take it to your pro shop and they will properly extract the oil from the ball.

Zothen

Greenday
10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
If you want to get oil out,take it to your pro shop and they will properly extract the oil from the ball.

Zothen

I kind of have to agree with this. They have tools to properly heat the ball safely without damaging the ball and will extract all oil from the ball. Soaking your ball in water just doesn't seem like the best idea, nor does concentrated heat.

75lockwood
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I kind of have to agree with this. They have tools to properly heat the ball safely without damaging the ball and will extract all oil from the ball. Soaking your ball in water just doesn't seem like the best idea, nor does concentrated heat.

Yes, going to a pro shop and using proper equipment will always be the best idea and most effective, however the ball in water method while wont do as good of a job as the pro shop method it is still safe, and best of all free.

got_a_300
10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
If you want to get oil out,take it to your pro shop and they will properly extract the oil from the ball.We do the same thing in our Pro shop and that is the
portable electric heater trick and we've never damaged
a ball yet but I guess there is always a first time for
everything but hopefully not though.

75lockwood
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
We do the same thing in our Pro shop and that is the
portable electric heater trick and we've never damaged
a ball yet but I guess there is always a first time for
everything but hopefully not though.

Its all about the Temperature, as long as you avoid the 130f you should be fine, but to play it safe i would say a max of 100-110f

Davec13
10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
In the summer I set my balls out on the back patio on top of a big coffee can that's in a pan. It usually takes like an hour or so, but the balls just drip oil. I never worry about the heat because it's very rare we see a 100 degree day.

Like others have said though a trip to the pro shop will save you a potential headache.

billf
10-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I soak my in hot water with dawn dish soap. I have heated them in the oven but the wife doesn't like me doing that. The pro shop uses an oven that goes to 130f so what's the difference?
A friend puts his in a bag of automotive floor dry. His way takes longer. If you're afraid water will damage your ball then don't ever get it resurfaced.

eugene02
10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
how will water damage the ball bill? if there's a way for the water to get into the core.. I'm sure there's a way for it to come out..

billf
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
It won't damage the ball. I never, ever, said it would.

Ball99999
10-19-2012, 09:50 PM
im fairly new to all of this. this is only my 3rd year bowling leagues and i bowl twice a week. i asked my brother about getting oil out of your ball. he told me he just takes a small cardboard box and cut a hole in it to fit a hair dryer. he puts his ball in the box and turns the hair dryer on and comes to check on it and wipe the oil off ever 5-10 minutes. does anyone do something similar to this?

And Darwin award goes to...

AngeloPD
10-22-2012, 03:07 AM
is it okay to use a heatgun then soak it in hot water?

bowl1820
10-22-2012, 08:12 AM
is it okay to use a heatgun then soak it in hot water?
A Heatgun!! No that's way too much heat.

The German Shepherd
10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
A Heatgun!! No that's way too much heat.

Bowl1820, have you ever used those Powerhouse Adrenaline Ball Steroid wipes? What is your opinion of them??

Jay

slowfaller
10-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I use a cleaner after every game and, when I feel like it, I'll wash them with dish soap and hot water, then rub them with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

slowfaller
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I use a cleaner after every game and, when I feel like it, I'll wash them with dish soap and hot water, then rub them with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

Correction, after every session. It's against league rules to alter the ball during league play

bowl1820
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Bowl1820, have you ever used those Powerhouse Adrenaline Ball Steroid wipes? What is your opinion of them??

Jay

No I haven't used them and I don't think any of the pro shops I go to here, even carry them (not that I have noticed anyway).

The two cleaners I use right now are "Tac Up" for cleaning at the lanes and "Clean'N Dull" for a deeper clean.

I don't bother with soaking my equipment, I have so little oil in my equipment (and I have 100's of games on mine) there's no point. even my ball sweater brings up nothing.

Now I've done others balls and they look like ice cubes melting in the sun.