PDA

View Full Version : High POLISH

MICHAEL
10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
500 Siaair Micro Pad; Rough Buff; High Gloss Ok, getting ready to go work on the DV8 Terror! I have a spinner, and all the other goodies!

What is High gloss! Does that mean several coats? Or rather going up a 40 story building, and then applying the polish! I must be doing something wrong,,,, it dosen't have the kick it use to have on fresh oil... I use the 500 abrian pad, and apply it revolving it 4 directions, then use the stuff that came with my spinner, called ( Extreme dull, by Pro's Choice) it came with the spinner. I then use factory finish Brunswick High gloss polish! Yes,,, I know High gloss, Brunswick, but can you use too much?? Ball seems to go too far down the lane before making a move. Could it be that in my case it might be BETTER TO LEAVE THE high polish off?? I am an average speed Stroker.

DanielMareina
10-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Polish is a tough thing to get right. Some polishes are better left to spare balls, and others are great for what you are trying to do. First of all, you can polish the ball too much. My first guess is that you are not putting enough pressure on the 500 grit abralon pad, or too much pressure with the extreme dull. Your base coat, in this case 500 grit should be with firm (not jamming) pressure. Every step after that should be with very light pressure. I like Storm Step 3 polish for my high gloss finish. I hit it with 500 grit 4 sides, a very light 1000 on 4 sides, and then step 3 polish on two sides only. This gets the clean front end, clean mid lane, but doesn't sacrifice back end reaction.

Zothen
10-19-2012, 01:52 PM
High gloss is like a mirror like finish,which is very shiny. I do know if you polish ball by hand it will leave a satin or low shine finish as oppose to polishing in a spinner. Back in the late 80's and into the 90's I used to use carnuba car wax to polish my balls and it worked great. i would try ball without high gloss polish if it's going to far or try hand polishing it!

Zothen

got_a_300
10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Ball seems to go too far down the lane before making a move. Could it be that in my case it might be BETTER TO LEAVE THE high polish off??
MICHAEL if it is going too far down before it makes its move
then I would have to say yes just cut back on the polish just
a little bit. You can get too much polish on a ball and it fills
in the little ridges/valleys on the ball that grabs the lane and
makes it hook on the back ends.

A lighter coat of polish might be better than say a high gloss
burned in heavy coat of polish unless you are looking for more
length and less overall hook but that doesn't sound like what
your looking for out of the ball.

billf
10-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Mike, Mike, Mike. Use less polish. I know you're using too much. The high gloss had additives that help it give a shinier appearance. I would bet Joyce's paycheck that you are trying to get it too shiny and using way too much polish. Follow Dan's advice (he is right 99.9% of the time. The other .1% he didn't post lol)
Learning the proper pressure to apply and amount of cleaners, polishes, etc. takes time. It's all trial and error.