PDA

View Full Version : Alone on the lane ? Advantage or ???

dutchlefty
10-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Hei hei,

Today i played my first tournament after seasonstart. As their was a uneven number of participants and i was the last one to registre i had to play alone on the lane.
Being the only lefthanded player in this mornings group of bowlers i might have an advantige plus that i could throw in my own pace.

But does being alone on the lane have disatvantages ???

I did miss that competitive feeling a bit. The feeling that you're bowling against, and at the same time with, someone. Also the social aspect matters to me. You share things, give some pep-talk if you're 'opponant' nedds it.

What do you prefer ?? Alone or together ?

The tournament itself was a 6-series european rules with hdc. I went home feeling good.. with a league average of 181 i scored 1187 today. So an average of nearly 198 gives me a reason to smile.

Be Good and Bowl Well..:) Dutchlefty

TheSheibs
10-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Being left handed, I prefer to bowl with other people. I tend to practice on lanes by myself and bowling with people makes it more fun while remaining competitive. Averaging 198 in a tournament is something that would make me smile and make me go "wwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!" all the way home.:cool: congrats on the games.

J Anderson
10-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Being ambidextrous I prefer to have at least one opponent on the lanes with me. Even a team or doubles event, I hate not having an opponent.

Glad that you bowled well.

striker12
10-20-2012, 07:07 PM
it is fun to bowl with a few people but ik this if i bowl alone i can focus on my game but also know that someone else wont be on my line or to the left of my line(im righty), soo i have a better chance of adjusting properly and keeping those strikes rolling i have been in a turnny with the lanes to my self once and avg 229 but mostly in the turnnys with alot of people and a few on my lane i ended up avg 201 witch was good but not my best with a 169 game in there.

billf
10-20-2012, 11:51 PM
When it matters, I prefer with at least one person. The better the bowler the more it will push me also.

dutchlefty
10-21-2012, 05:31 AM
An opponant is nice but it can also psych you out.. Depends on how good you are handling pressure. If you are on top you have to stay on top. When you're behind it's all about filling the frames and step-up when your opponant leaves som pins.
Alone it's just yourself you have to struggle with..

got_a_300
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
The main thing I hate about bowling on the lanes by myself
is I have the tendency to bowl way to fast and lose most if
not all of my focus and concentration when I start getting all
hot and sweaty. Another thing is if you are bowling all alone
by yourself on a rough shot you do not have anyone else there
to help you break the shot down.

I would rather bowl with 9 other people on the lanes than to
have to bowl on them alone but that's just me. I guess it can
be a blessing to not have any other bowlers on there messing
up your shot also if you have a great shot to start with.

SSG
12-02-2012, 06:31 AM
I prefer to bowl with people, rather then alone. I find that I rush myself when I bowl alone, and it takes me completely out of rhythm. I need that time in between shots to go and have a drink of water, and socialize with friends to get my mind off of scoreboard watching.

noeymc
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
When it matters, I prefer with at least one person. The better the bowler the more it will push me also.

agreed i bowl better with someone who's better then me like i always tell vince i am going to beat him he says bring it on i lost to him last night by like 20 pins ill get him i beat him 2/3 games but he bowled like a 190 198 a 268 so yeah not sure on excat scores but somthing like that

billf
12-02-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm expecting my best series of the season tomorrow. I'm going against a much better bowler who is averaging 248 this season. I won't panic but will just keep telling myself what I've been saying the past few months, "quality shot."

noeymc
12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
yeah ever since i started my goal to beat vince i been very consistent with my first shot i missed my mark 3 times by more then 5 boards but everything else was with in a board or 2 so it wasn't to bad i am going to take cones to the lane and work on bowling thur the cones

ArtVandelay
12-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Always with others, for me. I enjoy the company. It's a social sport.

In a league I'm in, all the lanes on the left side of the house are empty for the first 30 minutes we are bowling. It's so eerie if you're on the far left lanes. Weird feeling.

BrandonKR
01-02-2013, 01:38 AM
I'm left handed too, but I definitely prefer having people bowl with me, even though the majority are righties. When I'm alone my tempo is always fast and I get a bit erratic. In a team of 4 in tournament or league play, the tempo is set nicely and nothing feels rushed.

MisterSinister
01-02-2013, 09:53 PM
The good thing about bowling alone is the oil breaks down less quickly. Makes your moves more predictable. Other than that, it stinks. You have to have people around. If it's friends just to have a laugh, or competition to push you, either way it's just better.