PDA

View Full Version : When to clean your ball?

ILike2Bowl
10-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I recently got a new bowling ball.. After Learning the hard way of getting a ball that is oil saturated :(. Good thing it was cheap!! But the new Taboo deep purple cost me $200, so I would like to keep this ball for a good amount of time ha ha ha. I got done with my league today, then bowled about 5 more games, so a total of 8 games. I did not bring my microfiber (I know make it a habit) so when I got home I did the soak with dawn soap method. Would you recommend me to soak it after every time I bowl that much? Or a certain day in the month... The ball is have a very nice grip now, like out of the box. I don't know what finish the Taboo deep purple has, and I'm really new to the sport.. What spray do you guys recommend I spray on before and after games... Or after a deep wash. I think I'm going to try to fix my old ball now that I know this. By the way... I rolled my first 4 banger today!!!!!!

bowl1820
10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
See the ball cleaning thread it will get you started.
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/10288-Bowling-Ball-Cleaning-and-Maintenance

ILike2Bowl
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
So what cleaned do you recommend that I spray on my ball?

billf
10-20-2012, 11:45 PM
I have been using a spray by Kegel and surprisingly like it. Storm's reacta-clean and Brunswick's clean-all have also worked well for me in the past.

J Anderson
10-21-2012, 08:54 AM
I recently got a new bowling ball.. After Learning the hard way of getting a ball that is oil saturated :(. Good thing it was cheap!! But the new Taboo deep purple cost me $200, so I would like to keep this ball for a good amount of time ha ha ha. I got done with my league today, then bowled about 5 more games, so a total of 8 games. I did not bring my microfiber (I know make it a habit) so when I got home I did the soak with dawn soap method. Would you recommend me to soak it after every time I bowl that much? Or a certain day in the month... The ball is have a very nice grip now, like out of the box. I don't know what finish the Taboo deep purple has, and I'm really new to the sport.. What spray do you guys recommend I spray on before and after games... Or after a deep wash. I think I'm going to try to fix my old ball now that I know this. By the way... I rolled my first 4 banger today!!!!!!

If you wipe the ball after each shot, you only need to use one of the spray on cleaners at the end of your bowling sessions. The deep cleaning should only be necessary after 30 to 40 games.

bowl1820
10-21-2012, 09:10 AM
So what cleaned do you recommend that I spray on my ball?

It would depend on what your pro shop has available, unless your going to order something. I like Hook-it, Tac-Up, Reacta Clean.

Zothen
10-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I wipe my ball after every game and I clean it with a 50-50 mix of alcohol and simple green when I get home.

Zothen

billf
10-21-2012, 03:21 PM
I wipe before every throw and clean after each series. If it's a heavy pattern then I will clean each game and maybe even during the game. I deep clean every month.

ILike2Bowl
10-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Will it damage the ball if you deep soak to much?

billf
10-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Not that I can tell. Most of us would probably do it more often if we had more time or weren't so lazy.

J Anderson
10-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Will it damage the ball if you deep soak to much?

Only if the water was too hot.

75lockwood
10-21-2012, 10:25 PM
130 F is the temperatures that ball maker's normally say to stay below, but to be safe i never exceed 110-115 when cleaning, i also tend to heat gradually, i soak in room temp water first, then slowly increase temperature each soak.

AngeloPD
10-22-2012, 02:59 AM
i wipe my ball before i take a shot, then clean the ball with powerhouse energizer ball cleaner, or clean n dull every session. then i deep clean my balls every 1st day of the month.

ILike2Bowl
10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
alright, I've been soaking it after I get home. Thats usually 10 games, and when I take it out for the next game, I can get a beautiful hook out of the ball. I think I need to buy that Clean n dull stuff. Does it work?

GeoLes
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I was advised by a pro shop to use denatured Alcolohol. (Think distilled rubbing alcohol). I wipe before each roll. A small spray bottle into a cloth and wipe after each bowling session is about all you need for average ball maintanance. My wife was not a fan of regular cleaning until recently. She just had her ball baked and they extracted enough oil to make fried chicken. :) Now she gets it.

panbanger
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I wipe with a microfiber between frames, and clean with TacUp when I get home after league, or sometimes the next day. I dunno about all that bucket of warm water and capful of Dawn stuff, especially after 1 day of bowling. I think if I ever get that worried about oil on my ball I'll take it to my pro-shop and let them give it the "deep cleaning" if they even offer that kind of service lol

75lockwood
10-24-2012, 02:28 PM
So i gave my ball a nice deep cleaning 2 days ago, and wow what a difference, on a low oil open bowling shot i had to move out to board 30 and roll over second arrow to hit pocket lol, to put this in prospective, i bowled on the same conditions a day before the cleaning and was on board 17