PDA

View Full Version : ILike2Bowl is my grip right?

ILike2Bowl
10-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Also, (this is kind of off topic) on my layout, the thumb hole is directly under my middle finger. Is that normal? My other ball isn't like that and I'm finding it difficult to use my wrist support with it.

bowl1820
10-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Without seeing a picture of the balls side by side to compare them and knowing the span measurements. It would be hard to give a opinion.

Depending on how you look at the ball the thumbhole position can look different.

Here's example (thanks to striketheory).
"This is the same ball. You will notice in one pic, the thumb appears to be offset (under the middle finger). It only appears that way from the optical illusion created when you line up the fingers to a basic T shape."
http://forum.bowlingchat.net/download/file.php?id=1451&t=1&sid=ea412907fb1d45100321e2afb0636d2e

The bottom picture shows how the ball was actually drilled, and the appearance of the offset is from the variance in span.
http://forum.bowlingchat.net/download/file.php?id=1450&t=1&sid=ea412907fb1d45100321e2afb0636d2e

ILike2Bowl
10-21-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks for pointing that out bowl1820, as for the tracking over the thumb hole, that was Brother_jd's post. I'll have to post a video of my form to have you guys evaluate it. I'm having terrible strain in the bottom joint of my thumb. Maybe because this layout leaves no space in my palm? I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you guys!

Zothen
10-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I would take it to a pro shop and have them recheck your hand span.

Zothen

ILike2Bowl
10-21-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm going later today to get it checked out, the base of my thumb is killing me! Do you guys have your balls drilled with a bit of a gap in your span?

ILike2Bowl
10-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Just got back bowling 8, the base of my thumb is killing me and a bit black and blue. I'm going to take it in Wednesday, what's some of the things they could do to fix it?

bowl1820
10-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Just got back bowling 8, the base of my thumb is killing me and a bit black and blue. I'm going to take it in Wednesday, what's some of the things they could do to fix it?

Possible causes:
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fig6.jpg
1-Span Too Short or Too Long(fix plug and redrill)
2-Hole Needs More Bevel
3-Hole Too Big (fix plug and redrill)

billf
10-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm going later today to get it checked out, the base of my thumb is killing me! Do you guys have your balls drilled with a bit of a gap in your span?

Your span is from the fingers to the thumb so I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're talking between the finger holes, most manufacturers will void the warranty if that bridge is less than 1/4"

ILike2Bowl
10-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Like, on my old ball, the span was shorter and my palm didn't rest on the ball completely. Do you guys have yours drilled that way?

striker12
10-22-2012, 07:31 PM
my span is shorter then what my hand is but my fingers can't fully on the ball or it hurts soo i got abit of a gap from my fingers to the ball and i also got my thumb drilled under my middle finger and it works great for me i have a clean release and create more revs then i use too. i will get a picture of hand on the ball to show you how my hand is.

ILike2Bowl
10-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Alright, I got back today from the pro shop. The dude was really shocked at how he drille the ball. He said it was way to far and even trying to stretch it wouldn't fit. So he beveled It a ton then had me throw it on the ground. I wasn't so relaxed and was gripping the ball. So I had a hard time releasing it onto the plain carpet. The thumb definatly comes out was smoother now and I can rest it fine. I didn't get to bowl because leagues were going on. So I'll get back on that

bowl1820
10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Alright, I got back today from the pro shop. The dude was really shocked at how he drilled the ball.
He was shocked at how he drilled the ball? was he high when he drilled it and doesn't remember that he did wrong?

He said it was way to far and even trying to stretch it wouldn't fit. So he beveled It a ton then had me throw it on the ground.

If it was that far off that stretching it wouldn't fit, he should have plugged it and redrilled it to the proper span, Not just bevel it a ton.

billf
10-24-2012, 10:15 PM
So basically he screwed up the first time, was called out on it and then his fix was to screw it up even more? If it's too far that you can't stretch then, in my opinion, beveling a ton to make it work, actually changes the pitch. Once a hack, shame on him. Twice a hack, find another driller.