PDA

View Full Version : This seems odd to me....

AZBowla
10-21-2012, 12:44 AM
While I'm waiting for my new DV8 Marauder to arrive, I have been working on my form and physical game. Did lots of reading and watching videos, and finally got the chance to put it all into practice during some open bowling with the kids today.

One of the things that I noticed that I was doing before today was that I was not making use of my balance arm. Usually when I throw the ball, my other arm ends up in my lap, with my hand resting on my thigh instead of out and away from me like it should be. So today I made a conscious effort to keep my balance arm out instead.

I'm sure my form looked much better but I actually noticed a decrease in hook and pin carry than when I throw the ball my old quirky "wrong" way which is not what I was expecting - I'd be OK with missing my mark until I get used to throwing the ball the "right" way, but I thought the point of putting my balance arm out was to open my shoulders up and impart more energy to the ball, resulting in more hook.

Is it just because I'm not used to doing this? I'm sure it will just take some practice before I don't have to make the conscious effort to stick that balance arm out there instead of bent up in my lap like a chicken wing, but I thought I'd ask the experts in here if they've noticed the same thing, or maybe had some pointers for me to help improve.

Then again, my poor beat up 10+ year old never been resurfaced old ball might just be showing it's age and when the new one arrives I'll notice a difference. I guess I'll find out later this week when I get the new ball drilled. Anyway just thought I'd ask and see what you folks think.

billf
10-21-2012, 12:48 AM
My balance arm is the key to my game. When I lap it, as you described, I get crap for carry. Were you putting it out to the side or did you put it out in front (thumb down) and then swing it to the side?
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/june09_article.pdf

I had to learn to release the ball earlier doing this and then the movement and carry were phenomenal.

AZBowla
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM
My balance arm is the key to my game. When I lap it, as you described, I get crap for carry. Were you putting it out to the side or did you put it out in front (thumb down) and then swing it to the side?

I had to learn to release the ball earlier doing this and then the movement and carry were phenomenal.

Ahhhh, that's the problem - I was putting it out to the side instead of in front of me. (smacks forehead) I know better than that! Ugh, OK that explains it. I'll have to practice that some more. Gotta remember: 1. Out front 2. Thumb down.

Thanks! I feel like a dunce now, but that makes total sense.

GoodGorilla
10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
slowinsky rocks. Anyhow, how far forward should your balance arm go forward? And, how high do you raise the balance arm at release? My balance arm has been going forward and staying there until rotating backwards at release, but I have not given it any thought. I am definitly not raising the balance arm at release right now, I probably should.

dutchlefty
10-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the link Bill.. usefull information. I'll keep that in mind next time practicing and i'll watch my own recordings once again. Keep it comming.. :)

MisterSinister
10-21-2012, 09:38 AM
There is a pro here in NY, who doos not extend his balance arm. It ends up on his leg, and from what you are describing your arm does the same thing. His name is Brian Zeisig, he is considered to be one of, if not the best bowlings in NY. He has even won a PBA tour title.

billf
10-21-2012, 10:33 AM
There are exceptions to every rule. So for each of us, personally, we must decide, can we be the exception or should we go with the conventional wisdom to improve in our sport of choice?

AZBowla
10-21-2012, 12:24 PM
There is a pro here in NY, who doos not extend his balance arm. It ends up on his leg, and from what you are describing your arm does the same thing. His name is Brian Zeisig, he is considered to be one of, if not the best bowlings in NY. He has even won a PBA tour title.

Interesting! I'll have to take a look at his style to see if it's similar to mine.

GoodGorilla
10-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Today I went strict on slowinski's suggstions. I have no idea how it affected my game, but I did get a 200 and a 242 today out of 3 games. The second game my line broke down and it took me the rest of the game to find another line.

rab91787
10-21-2012, 05:20 PM
I open my shoulders up a ton and my left arm naturally starts out in front and then ends up to my side. I could see that if you didn't have it offsetting your right arm that you would lose a ton of leverage and have difficulty maintaining your balance. 200 and 242? Nice bowling!

GoodGorilla
10-22-2012, 08:03 AM
My hand aches alot more than usual. This seems like evidence that pulling the balance arm up is putting more power on the hand at release. I wasn't rotating my shoulders past the desired location (either squared or pointing at breaking point), I think this is what Slowinsky was saying to do.

Hammer
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I saw this youtube video of pros where it shows different things happening in their approach. One of them was what the balance arm does As they take the first step of a 4 step approach it is a crossover with a push out of the ball. As the ball is going into the back swing the balance arm goes from their side to the front of their body thumbdown. When the swing comes back down towards the release their balance arm goes to the side and up and back through release. The rotation of the torso doing this is supposed to put more energy into the ball at release. I have been practicing approach style lately plus dropping my ball arm shoulder and letting the ball get closer to my ankle at release. It isn't as easy as you think. On some approaches your body wants to do the wrong thing. You have to concentrate on one thing at a time.
Eventually you will be able to do it in your sleep.

GeoLes
11-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I find that when I let my balance arm go, I begin gradually pitching further and further forward with my right shoulder in finishing position. The balance arm keeps my shoulders generally square. Arm out, thumb down and everything is hinged like a pendulum.

Tampabaybob
11-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Today I went strict on slowinski's suggstions. I have no idea how it affected my game, but I did get a 200 and a 242 today out of 3 games. The second game my line broke down and it took me the rest of the game to find another line.

Slowinsky is one of the best coaches in the business and without exception, totally analyzes every motion a bowler will make. Sometimes his articles have driven me crazy (crazier actually) because he gets so in-depth. But following his advice, or at least trying it to see if it will fit your bowling style, will never hurt. As Bill mentioned, every bowler is unique and not every square peg will fit into that round hole. Try these different techniques, and if they help you improve, as it appears it did for you, Gorilla, then that's great. Keep up the good scoring.

Bob

GoodGorilla
11-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Slowinsky is one of the best coaches in the business and without exception, totally analyzes every motion a bowler will make. Sometimes his articles have driven me crazy (crazier actually) because he gets so in-depth. But following his advice, or at least trying it to see if it will fit your bowling style, will never hurt. As Bill mentioned, every bowler is unique and not every square peg will fit into that round hole. Try these different techniques, and if they help you improve, as it appears it did for you, Gorilla, then that's great. Keep up the good scoring.

Bob

Yeah, I have kept strict on the balance arm since then and my scores have been higher. It's hard to see the difference on the ball when it is traveling down lane. Also, on my spares I tend to rotate my hand behind square, I watched some Walter ray yesterday, and it seems he does that aswell for his spare shots.

GoodGorilla
11-26-2012, 08:05 AM
I am still pulling my balance arm back like slowinsky says to. However there are many times where the balance arm is not above shoulder height, sometimes it is level or below at the end. Is this wrong?

Hammer
11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
When you think about it major league pitchers use this technique with the balance arm forward when throwing the ball. When you have your throwing arm going forward
and your balance arm going from out in front of you to your side you can feel that it adds extra power into the throw. So in the same way as a pitcher we should do the same thing when we are throwing a bowling ball. The balance arm going from front to the side in our swing adds power to the shot. Try throwing a ball leaving your balance arm in front of you or throwing a ball with your balance arm pointing away from you before you make your throwing motion. You can not only not get good power behind the throw but you might hurt yourself also. So it seems like common sense that your balance arm moving from in front of you with thumb down to the side of you as your swing starts to come down will add power to the shot just as that same motion works to give power to a pitchers throw during his torso rotation.

billf
11-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I am still pulling my balance arm back like slowinsky says to. However there are many times where the balance arm is not above shoulder height, sometimes it is level or below at the end. Is this wrong?

Not at all. Ideally it should go lower and lower as your follow through goes higher and higher, like a see-saw.

GoodGorilla
11-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Not at all. Ideally it should go lower and lower as your follow through goes higher and higher, like a see-saw.

Interesting, now that you mention it, when my back swing is high for speed it seems like my balance arm ends high, and opposite for the slower ball. Yesterday bowling I discovered this. It's just on Norm Dukes bowling dvd, when he was talking about it he was like "I want your arm up here". I watched some bowling on Youtube, and most of the balance arms were ending low, and varied.

jbeck
11-27-2012, 08:03 PM

This article helped me out a good bit today! I never realized how important my balance arm was even though I use to pride myself in throwing a strike in baseball and a good lobbed spiral in football when I was a kid! I always pointed at my target with my left arm as I followed through my pitches and throws. Really good article!

Tampabaybob
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
This article helped me out a good bit today! I never realized how important my balance arm was even though I use to pride myself in throwing a strike in baseball and a good lobbed spiral in football when I was a kid! I always pointed at my target with my left arm as I followed through my pitches and throws. Really good article!

Very good analogy, with baseball and throwing the football. In almost every sport, it requires some sort of a follow thru motion. You're paying attention and that'll help you a lot. Good job.

Bob

GoodGorilla
11-29-2012, 07:17 AM

I'll have to keep this in mind the next time I bowl. I'm actually unsure of what ratio I have.