PDA

View Full Version : Can a urethane ball act like a reactive resin ball on league alley oil?

Hammer
10-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Yesterday our league had a bowling night. I have a Raw Hammer Anger urethane ball with the pin not far from my ring finger. I am a lefty by the way. I started out with my sliding foot(right foot)on the center dot on the approach. I have a 5 step approach. My second step is my crossover step and also when I push the ball out from my body.

My target was the second arrow on the alley from the left side. My wrist is straight and my palm facing the pins. When I would throw my ball it would hook to the brooklin side of the head pin. I moved a couple boards to the left with my sliding foot still using the second arrow from the left on the alley. Still not good enough. I ended up with my sliding foot on the dot to the right of the center dot. Still using the second arrow from the left for my target.

The ball was still hooking hard to the pocket as if I was using a resin ball. I don't know if those lanes we were on were dry or what. As far as I know my Hammer is a symmetrical urethane ball. Couldn't get the ball on a consistent line to the pocket.

The day before I had the pro shop in our bowling alley get my ball cleaned by giving it a box finish. I always thought that a middle of the road ball like mine would not hook like it was doing. I was going to try and stand to the right gutter side for my approach and see how it would hook from there but I have no experience in bowling like that.

Maybe I will try that in practice during the week when the alleys are dry and not set up for league night. Sorry for the long winded story. Can I get some thoughts on this and what I could have done technique wise to handle this over hooking urethane ball?

Anyone else have a Raw Hammer Anger ball? My ball is 15 pounds by the way.

bowl1820
10-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Maybe I will try that in practice during the week when the alleys are dry and not set up for league night. Sorry for the long winded story. Can I get some thoughts on this and what I could have done technique wise to handle this over hooking urethane ball?

Anyone else have a Raw Hammer Anger ball? My ball is 15 pounds by the way.

While moving your feet was okay, you didn't move your mark also. You needed to move your mark right also, so you would be in the oil longer to get more length.

Zothen
10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes a urethane ball can act like a reactive resin ball under the right lane conditions.

Zothen

Hammer
10-21-2012, 12:53 PM
While moving your feet was okay, you didn't move your mark also. You needed to move your mark right also, so you would be in the oil longer to get more length.

Therein is a problem in my game. I have to learn how to adjust for lane conditions pn the night that I am bowling. Is it possible to keep my sliding foot
where it is at and throw the ball one to two boards left or right of the second arrow to find more oil or do the feet have to move also? Also can you just move your feet one or two boards to the right and still throw over the second arrow to belly the ball more to the left gutter to cut the hook to the pocket? I am thinking about taking an hours worth of lessons just for targeting for different conditions so I can adjust quicker for different lane oil. Plus it would be good to have someone watch my approach and swing to see if things are okay there. Could I have adjusted by keeping my second arrow from the left and my sliding foot on the center dot and just open my upper body a little to let the ball belly out more to the left gutter? Getting instruction in targeting for bowling is in my future. I think it would be worth while instead of guessing.

striker12
10-21-2012, 01:41 PM
ok im trying to figure out one thing u sead at the start.-(I have a Raw Hammer Anger urethane ball.) one thing i do know is the raw hammer anger is not a urethane ball and it hooks hard cause i use to throw my buddy's on all oil conditions.

Hammer
10-21-2012, 02:17 PM
ok im trying to figure out one thing u sead at the start.-(I have a Raw Hammer Anger urethane ball.) one thing i do know is the raw hammer anger is not a urethane ball and it hooks hard cause i use to throw my buddy's on all oil conditions.

So my hammer is a hybrid or a reactive resin ball? Maybe a new ball is in my future. What would be a good middle of the road ball for dry league alleys? I thought when I bought my hammer 4 or 5 years ago I asked the shop guy for a urethane ball. DOH!

billf
10-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Striker is absolutely correct.

Raw Hammer Anger X Out Specs
Product ID:6708
Brand:Hammer
Release Date:06/18/2007
Perfect Scale®:198.4
Performance:Advanced Performance(6)
RG:2.500
Differential:.050
Breakpoint Shape:strong and continuous hook motion in medium to hea
Lane Condition:Medium-Heavy
Finish:Matte
Coverstock:Reactive Resin
Coverstock Name:Max-Hook Reactive
Core Name:Raw Hammer
Quality:Second
Color(s):Blue,Silver

Brunswick Slingshot for dry conditions. (It is urethane lol)

Hammer
10-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Striker is absolutely correct.

Raw Hammer Anger X Out Specs
Product ID:6708
Brand:Hammer
Release Date:06/18/2007
Perfect Scale®:198.4
Performance:Advanced Performance(6)
RG:2.500
Differential:.050
Breakpoint Shape:strong and continuous hook motion in medium to hea
Lane Condition:Medium-Heavy
Finish:Matte
Coverstock:Reactive Resin
Coverstock Name:Max-Hook Reactive
Core Name:Raw Hammer
Quality:Second
Color(s):Blue,Silver

Brunswick Slingshot for dry conditions. (It is urethane lol)

Well call me stupid. Where the confusion came from is that the ball I replaced with this one was a urethane Hammer. The color was purple and it just had a hammer
engraved in it. I think they just called it the purple Hammer. All I know is with the Raw Hammer you do not have to cock or cup your wrist to make this thing hook on league lanes. I guess I better take lessons on how to throw this thing from the right side of the lane to the left to make this thing hook to the pocket. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the specs on my ball. Now I know what I have in my bag. Oh boy!

billf
10-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I've read some of your posts and was wondering how you were hooking it so much on oil. 25-15 is a line that usually works well for me.

Hammer
10-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Does this also mean that this ball is asymetric and not symetric?

bowl1820
10-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Does this also mean that this ball is asymetric and not symetric?

Raw Hammer Anger
Core Specifications
Core Type Symmetrical
Minimum RG 2.500
Total Differental 0.045

striker12
10-21-2012, 07:04 PM
the raw hammer anger is not that hard to cross boards with it i use to throw at 16mph and high rev rate and it was drilled weaker then anything i have ever thrown and i could get it to hook easyly it jsut depends on how you got it drilled and how you throw the ball to how it will move.

but i agreee with bill if you want a ball for dry lane conditions then the slingshot would be good unless u want alittle move then you could go to the c300 freeze.

EboniteKid299
10-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Ya, the Anger is deff not urethene, lol it's a very good ball none the less however I used to throw mine all the time before my hand grew and the pitch got messed up if you like Hammer stuff the Blue Hammer is a very good urethene ball with the same core in it as the Anger resin ball I like my blue hammer too used it today on very dry wood surface games 9-10

Hammer
10-21-2012, 08:55 PM
I think that I will check out the Slingshot, C300 Freeze and the Blue Hammer(for sure urethane) ball. Something with a little more controll on our league lanes which are
dry to medium dry lanes.

SnipingWaste
10-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Before buying another ball take it to a pro shop and get it polished. This should give you more length and still have a nice snap on the end. The main ball I use is a Hammer Taboo and stock is 500, 1000, 2000. The length was just too short for me but got it polished and it works great now for me. Getting it polished only cost me $5 too. It should only take about 5 minute to do the polish.

striker12
10-25-2012, 01:37 AM
if you are looking for a urethane ball then the storm natural pearl is a urathane but the c300 freeze will give abit of hook even on heavy oil if you want it to i got mine drilled pin down between fingers and it dose a great job i can hook it when i want to and make it go streght if i want to soo it jsut depends on how you get it drilled i did have a old urethane ball called the (ebonite nitro urethane blue/gold) but gave it to my brother and he used it know.