PDA

View Full Version : Do certain coverstocks match better with specific styles of bowling?

Bizwan65
10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Do certain coverstocks (Pearl/Hybrid/Solid) match better with specific styles (cranker/Tweener/Stroker) of bowling?

I was just curious. I have 2 balls that are basically drilled the same, a Storm Tropical Heat (Orange/Purple) with a pearl cover stock and a 900 Global Hook! (Red/Yellow) with a solid cover stock. Both balls are 14#.

I would classify myself as a stroker. Relatively low speed and low revs. I don't get a ton of hook out of either ball. Both balls have been used about the same number of games (about 75 games) and both could probably stand to be deep cleaned.

I've been keeping track of my scores in practice and league over the past year or so. I consistently average about 15 pins higher with the solid cover stock 900 Global Hook! ball than the Pearl Storm Tropical Heat pearl. This difference holds true across the 3 alleys I frequent. High game for both balls are the same (201).

Both balls feel the same. I don't think I do anything different when I bowl with one over the other. I have switched back and forth between balls in the same practice session and have used 1 ball for a few few sessions then switch to the other ball.

Trying to decide if this is just coincidence, confidence in the one ball or does the solid cover stock just fit my style better.

billf
10-21-2012, 02:58 PM
The polished solid could just fit you better, both mentally and physically. The polished solid should be more predictable than the polished resin. There may be something in your delivery or release that mentally gives you more confidence in how the solid will react. Could also be the core that is getting you two extra spares per series. Very minor difference albeit an interesting one. If you kept track of all the stats I bet you would find a single pin spare that you miss more often with the air freshener. Or it could just be you :p

Zothen
10-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes certain coverstock and/or cores may be more beneficial to a paticular type of player. For example I bowl much higher avg with a symmetrical core then asymmectrical. Yet I bowl much better with asymmetrcal core balls on sport patterns where I need the angular hook. As for coverstock I bowl just as well with pearls,hybrids and solids as i'm always changing them to fit my bowling needs.

Now some companies like Hammer for example made to identical balls,but,the Pursuit had asymmetrcal core and the Pursuit S had a symmetrcal core. The idea from what I have read was to give speed dominant players the Pursuit S because it was suppose to help maintain energy to the pocket. I'm sure someone will be more technical in this and that is how we learn!

Zothen

Ball99999
10-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Yes, it is much easier for me to use a pearl since it gets down the lane and preserves energy better. I don't throw very fast.

MisterSinister
10-23-2012, 07:16 AM
I am a two finger cranker, and my local pro shop told me that I should be using mostly pearl balls. He said because of my high rev rate a pearl ball will help it get further down the lane before hooking.