PDA

View Full Version : I am conflicted

Ball99999
10-22-2012, 04:38 AM
I bowled tonight for 2.5 hours at a different alley than I usually goto. This one felt better. No oil on the ball at all (so I guess no oil on the lanes?) but things felt better. The pins made a different sound too, more blocky, or woody.

Anyway I couldn't do the up the back release without the ball just going straight. I tried the suitcase grip and I felt something different, I felt my fingers come through the ball as if I was peeling a layer off the ball. It worked well and then I translated it into a regular release (turn from 7/6 to a handshake). So either one is ok for me.

At regular speed things were just like they usually are, kind of weak.

I think tried something different, I held the ball pretty high and pushed it away pretty high and got it into a nice big swing and at the end threw it. The ball held so well and then had more snap at the end. THIS is what I wanted but I can't get it without all these exaggerated motions. My heavy oil ball, the Modern Marvel, still worked well by doing this which didn't make sense since the lanes were dry.

Also the 14 LB Damage had such a different motion, it was more like a curve and it just looked better, I don't know why I can't do it with my 15 lb balls.

Zothen
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Sounds like the new armswing! I adopted a big armswing and found it to be much better and more accurate then my short armswing which was uncontrollable. Also big armswing seems to generate faster ball speed due to the inertia of the arm coming forward. Example-Think of your arm as a car and your ball as a person. When you bring your arm forward and stops,the ball flies of at a faster speed,much like a car hittng a wall at 10mph and the body moves forward at 20mph.

Just try bowling the suit case way without thinking about it and build up that muscle memory. You will eventually do it without realizing it!

Zothen

Ball99999
10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Yah it's much easier now I know how it is supposed to feel. It feels like the fingers are ripping a layer off the ball. And I know for the follow through to go up and not overturn the ball

J Anderson
10-22-2012, 06:56 PM
I bowled tonight for 2.5 hours at a different alley than I usually goto. This one felt better. No oil on the ball at all (so I guess no oil on the lanes?) but things felt better. The pins made a different sound too, more blocky, or woody.

Anyway I couldn't do the up the back release without the ball just going straight. I tried the suitcase grip and I felt something different, I felt my fingers come through the ball as if I was peeling a layer off the ball. It worked well and then I translated it into a regular release (turn from 7/6 to a handshake). So either one is ok for me.

At regular speed things were just like they usually are, kind of weak.

I think tried something different, I held the ball pretty high and pushed it away pretty high and got it into a nice big swing and at the end threw it. The ball held so well and then had more snap at the end. THIS is what I wanted but I can't get it without all these exaggerated motions. My heavy oil ball, the Modern Marvel, still worked well by doing this which didn't make sense since the lanes were dry.

Also the 14 LB Damage had such a different motion, it was more like a curve and it just looked better, I don't know why I can't do it with my 15 lb balls.

One, with more speed your ball has more momentum, hence more power.
Two, the big swing may be helping your timing, which usually improves your rev rate.

Ball99999
10-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Yah as much as I want to have a relaxed and free armswing it just never worked for me. With speed it felt like I got a big snap at the end and a ton of energy mixing the pins up