PDA

View Full Version : Bowling with Different Weights?

75lockwood
10-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey all,

I have been looking into getting a new ball for some time know, but was looking to perhaps increase the weight from 14 to 15 or 16lb. So my question is, is it ok to bowl with two balls of different weight? say i got a 15/16lb Marauder would it screw me up if i threw two differently weighted balls? should i consider completely retiring my old ball (coming up on 5 years lol)?

Thanks,

Ben

striker12
10-22-2012, 12:14 PM
lockwood i have a mostly 14lb balls but then i also got a 15lb freeze that i throw once and awhile and it dose not feel that much different but its up to you but if you want to go up in a weight it is better to go with a cheaper ball like te freeze or another entry lvl ball and get the hang of it cause the entry lvl ball's could be also used on most spare shots i use mine on the 9 and 6 pins.

DanielMareina
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Different weights for some people don't bother them, but I would suggest not doing it if at all possible. The key to bowling well is to be able to consistently throw the same shot, and make the right adjustments. If the right adjustment is to switch balls, it will be tough to throw a differently weighted ball the same as the original. Not impossible, but why make things harder on yourself then you have to. It is very hard not to throw a ball faster when you drop weight mid game. If financially it doesn't work to rebuild your arsenal at your new weight, you should be able to figure it out well enough though.

Zothen
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
I would not go to 16lbs unless your a really big guy(Belmo,Wes Malot,etc). 15lbs should be a good weight if you can handle it on a consitant basis. I use a 14lbs ball for spares only or if I have a minor injury(low back) where I need a lighter ball.

Zothen

Cochese
10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Glad this thread came up. I was actually looking at adding another ball for lighter oil conditions. I currently use a 15lb ball and was thinking of trying 14lbs. I was thinking of it as more of an experiment if the #14 would be easier to control.

75lockwood
10-22-2012, 02:50 PM
lockwood i have a mostly 14lb balls but then i also got a 15lb freeze that i throw once and awhile and it dose not feel that much different but its up to you but if you want to go up in a weight it is better to go with a cheaper ball like te freeze or another entry lvl ball and get the hang of it cause the entry lvl ball's could be also used on most spare shots i use mine on the 9 and 6 pins.

Thats a good plan striker, i think i'll get myself a 15lb spare ball to start with (was planning on getting one anyway) so i can see how the weight is before committing to a $200+ performance ball, when i originally got my 14lb ball i switched from a 12lb plastic ball, it was tough to get used to but i'm glad i increased the weight.

Different weights for some people don't bother them, but I would suggest not doing it if at all possible. The key to bowling well is to be able to consistently throw the same shot, and make the right adjustments. If the right adjustment is to switch balls, it will be tough to throw a differently weighted ball the same as the original. Not impossible, but why make things harder on yourself then you have to. It is very hard not to throw a ball faster when you drop weight mid game. If financially it doesn't work to rebuild your arsenal at your new weight, you should be able to figure it out well enough though.

Alright, so that makes a lot of sense, and my old Brunswick rattler is getting quite old (and dinged up) so once i get the hang of the new 15 lb ball(s) in practice i'll go ahead and retire the rattler to my bedroom lol.

I would not go to 16lbs unless your a really big guy(Belmo,Wes Malot,etc). 15lbs should be a good weight if you can handle it on a consitant basis. I use a 14lbs ball for spares only or if I have a minor injury(low back) where I need a lighter ball.

Zothen

Yea, as i said above, i'll definitely go with the 15 lb ball, the 1lb jump shouldn't be to big of a difference, but hopefully will increase carry.

Thanks guys!

striker12
10-24-2012, 01:42 PM
lockwood its better then me when i irst started i went from a 11lb ball to a 15-16lb balls cause the 11 was too light but the 15-16lb balls was good untill i got wrist problem to i went down to 15lb then more wrist problems and know 14lbs

75lockwood
10-24-2012, 02:16 PM
lockwood its better then me when i irst started i went from a 11lb ball to a 15-16lb balls cause the 11 was too light but the 15-16lb balls was good untill i got wrist problem to i went down to 15lb then more wrist problems and know 14lbs

do you use a wrist support striker? i think this would benefit you greatly, also you should exercise your bowling wrist daily to strengthen it.

MisterSinister
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I know a few people, including myself, who use a 15# strike ball, and a 14# spare ball. It helps me throw the spare a little faster, and a little straighter.

striker12
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
i don't use a wrist support cant handle it on my wrist feels so weird to me but manly from wrist problems is from when i was in high school playing football and i work on my wrist every other day so i work on my wrist for awhile then it has time to rest but i dont do nothing with my wrist on thurs and friday's cause i bowl on saturdays.

also when i bowl my wrist in cupped to where the ball is touching my fore arm(thing that's how you spell it) cause its the only way i can hold my arms my lowest.

75lockwood
10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Have you tried a wrist sweatband? it may not seem like much, but the gentle pressure does help to support the wrist, and its a lot less bulky than a full wrist support.

you gotta stop hurting yourself striker, take care of yourself lol

J Anderson
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
fore arm(thing that's how you spell it)

Correct except its one word; Forearm