PDA

View Full Version : good average to to start tournament

shannon
10-22-2012, 10:37 PM
What is a good average to start a tournament? i average 148 but not sure if that is good enough to start trying tournaments?

billf
10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
If the tournaments are handicap tournaments then it's more than enough. Tournaments are fun and a good learning experience. If it's a scratch tournament, it's up to you but to be honest, that average wouldn't make the cut. So if you don't mind paying the fee to bowl just the first round then go for it.
As for doubles tournaments, if they are handicap then you would actually be a plus to have with a top level bowler.

martinezsam2495
10-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd say go for it,
the experience you'll gain will be worth it. You never know until you try.

Davec13
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
As for doubles tournaments, if they are handicap then you would actually be a plus to have with a top level bowler.

For sure. I bowled a little local tournament last year with a person who had a 111 book average. The tournament was 100% of 200 handicap. ;) we finished 3rd.

shannon
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
thanks guys i guess im just scared to go for my first tournament lol...ive been bowling for about 3 years and im on my 2nd sanction league so i guess im just nervous

Davec13
10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Don't be afraid just look at it as practice. The worst thing that can happen is you lose a few bucks for your tourney fee. At best you can bowl a really good game and walk away with some cash.

shannon
10-23-2012, 08:23 PM
been thinking about joining one think im gunna look into it thanks

Davec13
10-23-2012, 08:39 PM
If you can find a handicap tourney with say 100% of 200 you'll have an extra 156 pins. That is like you getting to bowl 4 games and everyone else only gets to bowl 3. If you go into it with that in mindset that your getting a free fourth game the pressure will melt away and you can relax and have fun.

billf
10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Naturally you're nervous. It's human nature to be nervous when thinking of attempting the unknown. You will be nervous the first handful of tournaments you enter. It's normal and so is bowling bad (comes with the nerves). Don't get discouraged just keep bowling.

MisterSinister
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
If you want to bowl a tournament, then don't worry about your average, just do it. Most handicap tourneys around here, it doesn't matter what your average is, to win it you have to bowl out of your mind anyway. It's about the experiance, and having fun.

Mike White
10-24-2012, 11:44 PM

I just have to question the logic on this one.

If the top level bowler benefits from having a 140 bowler, wouldn't the 140 bowler benefit more by having another 140 bowler rather than a top level bowler?

If instead it's the 140 bowler that benefits from having the top level bowler, then the top level bowler benefit more from having another top level bowler?

I don't see why a top level would benefit from having a 140 teammate if there are other top level bowlers available.