PDA

View Full Version : Little adjustments can mean a lot in bowling.....

Hammer
10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Today I had to go out and practice a few things that I needed to get used to doing. Things like crossover step, second step ball pushaway, balance arm
and hand positions. A guy practicing next to me said he noticed my slide step is too far from the foul line. He said doing that is making my ball hit right over the foul line which is a dry area and making my ball hook to early and missing the pocket. I was like a foot and a half from the foul line. I counted five steps and a half from the foul line and that put me on the dots closest to the foul line. Now with the correct hand position and my slide foot maybe only 6 inches from the foul line I shot a 4th game of 212. My ball had a nicer hook to the pocket not laying it early on the heads. The problem we had at the alley today was we had a warm day in the upper 70s and it was humid because of the rain which meant slide foot sticking on the approach. The other thing I wanted to practice was a faster approah to the foul line but I canned that because of the sticking slide foot. I wasn't ready to blow out my knee. So little adjustments in this game can mean a ball going a lot better to the pocket and more strikes and higher games. I didn't change anything with my feet when I made this change. My slide foot was on the board next to the center dot and I was throwing over the second arrow.

ILike2Bowl
10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Amazing isn't it? I had tons of problems with my feet and drifting, that was all fixed to holding it the ball at my side and pushing out. Practice and experimenting with stuff will get your score up a ton! I love bowling next to people that are knowledgeable in the sport and will help you out if your struggling.

Hammer
10-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Amazing isn't it? I had tons of problems with my feet and drifting, that was all fixed to holding it the ball at my side and pushing out. Practice and experimenting with stuff will get your score up a ton! I love bowling next to people that are knowledgeable in the sport and will help you out if your struggling.

The guy next to me was named Mike. He was a young guy of 42. He was young to me because I am 65 and very close to 66 which I still can't believe. He gave me a few other pointers on technique. Talking to him I felt like I knew him for a long time. He has a 191 average. I noticed he had 4 balls with him so he must be hooked.
He took some lessons which he said that maybe I should look into to get things ironed out. He said they definitely help out. It was nice talking things over with him. At first I was hesitant to bother him because he was practicing also. He just said no problem. He said he likes to help bowlers out if they want help. Some nice people in this sport.

Davec13
10-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Most of the people you will run into at an alley will definitely stop what they are doing to give you some pointers. The trick is distinguishing which ones are good pointers and which ones are bad. ;)

Tampabaybob
10-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Hammer, good choice on having Mike help you out. He's correct, a couple of lessons with a certified coach could help you out. If you have the time, they usually have the talent to see things you cannot and can get you pointed in the right direction. Good Luck

By the way, don't give up for a second because of your age. I'm the same age, averaged 217 last year, and love to kick butt on these younger guys. Did it last Thursday night and plan on doing it again this thursday !!

Bob

MisterSinister
10-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Nice to hear that a fellow howled helped you at the lanes. Around here you don't always see that. I give some tips here and there to fellow bowlers if I notice something. Doesn't always work out. Every now and then I get a "yeah I know" or even a dirty look. Whatever dude, just trying to help u.

Tampabaybob
10-26-2012, 12:17 AM
MinisterSinister, I know what you're saying. I've been coaching over 30 years and have run into many situations where someone has reacted that way. I learned the hard way. I never offer, unless the person starts asking questions. I will "always" be happy to help other bowlers if requested and spend some time explaining things. But you have to be careful offering unasked for advice.

Bob