PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good average to start for high school?

ILike2Bowl
10-23-2012, 06:32 PM
I am getting extra training and practicing a ton. I average 140 but I dont think that that score is good at all. What is a range to get into?

J Anderson
10-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I am getting extra training and practicing a ton. I average 140 but I dont think that that score is good at all. What is a range to get into?

I think that for most of us on BowlingBoards, at least those of us who post more than we lurk, we feel that our average could be 10 or 20 pins higher than it is. To not be happy with your average is normal when you've been bit by the bowling bug.

As far as what range you should get into, for years 200 was a great average for an amateur. If you have dreams of becoming a pro someday you should be aiming for for averaging 220 on a typical house shot.

What I would recommend is not setting an average as your goal but to set goals for different aspects of your game that will lead to higher and higher averages. For example, your average is 140, so you must miss about 5 spare attempts each game. Since you probably get an occasional strike or two, you only make 40% of your spares. First goal might be to practice spares until you make 75% of them. You can set similar goals for hitting your target, hitting the pocket etc.

billf
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
John listed some great things. Now if you want to know to see where you stack up, research the stats from last year. See what the highest and lowest averages were. The varsity team here was 206 & 158. What pin(s) are you missing the most?

75lockwood
10-29-2012, 12:05 PM
To Add to the above, you should not let your average stop you from trying to get into high school bowling if you want to bowl then go bowl! your average will raise with time and practice. Don't get discouraged.

MisterSinister
11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Just being on the team will help. The team obviously has a coach, and he or she can help you get better. Your teammates can also be a big help. Talk to the coach of the team, tell them were you are at, and what you want to do and see what they tell you.