PDA

View Full Version : What is this weight hole some guys talk about on here?

Hammer
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Sometimes when talking about the PAP, pin and cg of a ball they sometimes mention a weight hole. What is this and why is it put into a ball sometimes?
Never heard of this before.

bowl1820
10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Sometimes when talking about the PAP, pin and cg of a ball they sometimes mention a weight hole. What is this and why is it put into a ball sometimes?
Never heard of this before.

A balance hole is a hole drilled into a ball to either make it legal for static weight or to change the dynamics of the balls reaction.

billf
10-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Here's a good article on them http://www.morichbowling.com/Education/GradientLineBalanceHole/GradientLineBalanceHole.htm

Hammer
10-24-2012, 08:49 PM
A balance hole is a hole drilled into a ball to either make it legal for static weight or to change the dynamics of the balls reaction.

Can't you change the balls dynamics with different layouts and pin placement?

billf
10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes and change them even more with the balance hole placement. That's how I ended up with a Hell Raiser Revenge that I can't use at my home center. Stupid strong ball drilled strong with a P3 balance hole. That ball hooks so much I was given a ticket for illegal u-turn. It's too strong for our old wood lanes but great for tournaments at other places.

Zothen
10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a neXus solid that I can only use on lanes where the oil is at least 44'+ and heavy oil,otherwise the ball just over hooks no matter where I stand or weather I put polish or surface change to 4000.

Zothen

GeoLes
10-25-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a neXus solid that I can only use on lanes where the oil is at least 44'+ and heavy oil,otherwise the ball just over hooks no matter where I stand or weather I put polish or surface change to 4000.

Zothen

Excuse the dumb question (I am still a newb to a lot of this stuff), but what happens when you throw the ball with a flat release? When have too much hook to find the pocket, a flat ball down the first mark usually does it for me. Granted it is an exercise in ball placement for me because a miss too far right puts me in the gutter, but that which does not kill me only makes me a better bowler.

J Anderson
10-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Excuse the dumb question (I am still a newb to a lot of this stuff), but what happens when you throw the ball with a flat release? When have too much hook to find the pocket, a flat ball down the first mark usually does it for me. Granted it is an exercise in ball placement for me because a miss too far right puts me in the gutter, but that which does not kill me only makes me a better bowler.

A flat release gives you very little axis rotation and tilt all of which reduces the amount of hook. Some nights that's what it takes to find the pocket.