PDA

View Full Version : Why does cupping work to get more revs?

Ball99999
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand the technical reasons

bowl1820
10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure I understand the technical reasons

When you cup the ball, you place your fingers further under the ball. So The fingers will stay in the ball longer and travel from further underneath the bowling ball.

The purpose of cupping the wrist during the swing is purely to shorten the length of the swing, increasing the rev rate to ball speed ratio. Today, with the high tech cores and coverstocks, cup is no longer necessary.

Also if you don't unload the wrist at the right time you risk injury to the wrist. If you watch the pros that cup the ball, they also uncup the ball at the release.

A more modern release would have more wrist cock entering the release and minimal wrist cup.

This eight minute video takes you from stance through release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3WQeNFHTasI

The German Shepherd
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Love that video. Thanks for posting that...

Jay

GoodGorilla
10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
When you cup the ball, you place your fingers further under the ball. So The fingers will stay in the ball longer and travel from further underneath the bowling ball.

The purpose of cupping the wrist during the swing is purely to shorten the length of the swing, increasing the rev rate to ball speed ratio. Today, with the high tech cores and coverstocks, cup is no longer necessary.

Also if you don't unload the wrist at the right time you risk injury to the wrist. If you watch the pros that cup the ball, they also uncup the ball at the release.

A more modern release would have more wrist cock entering the release and minimal wrist cup.

This eight minute video takes you from stance through release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3WQeNFHTasI

I cup on the way down the backswing. Is that bad? I remember trying to keep it cupped the whole time, but it puts alot of stress on my wrist.

bowl1820
10-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I cup on the way down the backswing. Is that bad? I remember trying to keep it cupped the whole time, but it puts alot of stress on my wrist.

No a lot of the pros cup on the way down, but they uncup (unload) toward the release.

Kudu22
10-27-2012, 05:03 PM
That video was great. I had been looking for something like that.

Rdmonster
10-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I cup on the backswing and have no idea what i do on my release. No wrist problems to speak of though. I cup because it gives me the same feel on every backswing.