PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

mgame2k
11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
So again I did the ABT’s this last weekend. Pattern was said to be like nationals 41ft flat. Currently I have Storm Rapid Fire, and a Columbia 300 Momentum. Momentum drilled pattern 1, the Rapid FIre close to pattern 1 the pin is slightly above and to the right of the middle finger.

This equipment just can’t work on these long and flat oil patterns. I basically stood at 30 on the approach and rolled as accuratlely as I could for 15. The shot of safe and didn’t leave me to bad of a spare to shoot. However, the ball just wasn’t driving through the pocket enough. I could only manage 170’s all 3 games. That’s 15 pins lower on my current league averages.

So back to the question. Which ball would you buy for this? I really like storm right now. They won me over with the Rapid Fire it’s my best ball in league. I’m looking at the Hy-Road and Dimension. Any recommendations are fine. Such as, Hammer, Roto Grip, so on and so on. I would just like a ball that can get off it’s *** and work for me.

zefolantar
11-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Being a ball driller, I've had many opportunities to try out different layouts for tougher / sport patterns.
Usually the layouts that work best for these pattern are the ones that flare less and control the entire
lane for you. The RICO layout is very good for doing this as are pins that are located on your grip line, whether that be slightly below or above your fingers. Stacked leverage layouts or NOT good for tougher
patterns because they flare too much and kick hard at the breakpoint.

The Storm Dimension is a great ball as is the new Gravity Shift. Try either ball in box condition since a dull
surface will give you a smoother reaction than a highly polished surface.

Besides Storm, because I'm a huge fan of Lane #1, I have to recommend the BuzzBOMB or the new
Chain-Saw. The BuzzBOMB is for heavier oil and the Chain-Saw has very low flare, is polished and is very
smooth at the breakpoint. It'll be a killer for you on tougher conditions where you're required to play the
lanes a bit straighter.

Remember though......the layout is critical when you're trying to conquer tougher conditions. Talk to your
ball driller. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some good advice on this. ;)

mgame2k
11-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the advice man. I'll check those out. I'm doin a PBA experience league for the first time this coming Monday. Should fun and a learning experience for sure.

onefrombills
11-13-2008, 02:36 AM
the glass if 1/2 full here

Please remember just cause they put 41 feet down dosent mean it will go 41 feet.

Ok im sure I just confused a few people so heres the deal. lets say we have 2 bowling centers and center A has worn out lanes and in bad shape that 41 feet may play like 32 feet (just throwing out a number there ) now center B is brand new and the same oil is put on theses brand new lanes and will play like 40 ft

Any other questions just ask !!!!!

djbigsmooth
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM
the glass if 1/2 full here

Please remember just cause they put 41 feet down dosent mean it will go 41 feet.

Ok im sure I just confused a few people so heres the deal. lets say we have 2 bowling centers and center A has worn out lanes and in bad shape that 41 feet may play like 32 feet (just throwing out a number there ) now center B is brand new and the same oil is put on theses brand new lanes and will play like 40 ft

Any other questions just ask !!!!!

understood. you always should be aware of the lane surfaces that you play on. this can mean making the cut and cashing or packing your stuff and going home. well stated.

onefrombills
11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
understood. you always should be aware of the lane surfaces that you play on. this can mean making the cut and cashing or packing your stuff and going home. well stated.
Thanks DJ and I know bout packing up and going home

JAnderson
12-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Also - you can expect a huge difference between 41 feet on new Brunswick ProAnvilane and 41 feet on an older wood surface. The stripping of the lane also makes a big difference. When the back ends are clean, you can get a strong reaction despite the longer oil.

While I agree that layout is important, my opinion is that surface and surface preparation is even more important. You can drill a ball to go long and snap as much as you want, but if you take it down to 320 grit, you won't get length or snap.

Having said that, I agree that on tougher conditions, control is a must. Most people will offer that advice readily and quickly. Buy why?

It isn't that "control" equipment allows you to score higher or make mistakes, it is because it minimizes the effects of bad shots. That can be a huge score swing when "snappy", unpredictable equipment can help accentuate the effects of bad shots. We're human, not robots, we make bad shots. On forgiving conditions, we can line up to get away with them. Not so on sport conditions.

That's not to say equipment that goes long and makes a strong move is useless on sport conditions. Once the shot breaks down, you may need something different. If you've ever bowled the 11:30pm squad at nationals, you were probably forced to play in. If you don't have a ball that can give you some length and then turn the corner, you're going to leave a bunch of flat corner pins because the inside angle makes it more difficult to create proper entry angle.

Being able to make the appropriate adjustments with speed and release easily doubles or triples the equipment in your bag. Ditto with a ball spinner.

kev3inp
12-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Well said, sir. Clear, concise, and a cogent point of view. I can see you're going to be fun to have around.

Hey Brian, interested in a road trip to see him again? You only have to go to NC this summer. We've got one woman who flies from from CA. It takes us 12 hours of driving to get there, but we have a good time.