PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Coach...

75lockwood
10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey all, so i was speaking with the coach that runs the Saturday morning YBC League i'm in, and he was asking me what i thought about becoming a coach, i often help the younger bowlers during practice anyway so i thought it would be great, so i looked online and there is a Canada coaching program you need to complete to be a certified coach in Canada, then i would do a specialty program for bowling (my coach is looking into it).

I Think it would be a great experience to learn more about coaching and the sport of bowling, what do you guys think? those coaches among us (hi Bill) what was it like becoming a coach?

Zothen
10-26-2012, 12:20 PM
It's a great idea! Not only would you learn about coaching techniques,but,you might also be a better bowler as you would know aboutoil patterns and how to make adjustments to balls and where to throw them down the lane.

Zothen

billf
10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Go for it. Coaching is fun and you do learn a ton going through the process. It has helped my bowling tremendously. I have problems with my finish position due to bad knees. Showing so many the proper position has actually helped train my brain that I will be ok to go into that position while bowling. It's also interesting learning the hows and whys bowlers do some of the things that we do. Understanding the why we do things makes it easier to understand our own style and others.
Balls, lane conditions and adjustments weren't covered very well (in my opinion) for Bronze but are covered more heavily for the Silver. Unfortunately in the States they require one year at Bronze before you can attend the seminar for Silver.
To sum it up; it was a great decision and money well spent.

75lockwood
10-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Go for it. Coaching is fun and you do learn a ton going through the process. It has helped my bowling tremendously. I have problems with my finish position due to bad knees. Showing so many the proper position has actually helped train my brain that I will be ok to go into that position while bowling. It's also interesting learning the hows and whys bowlers do some of the things that we do. Understanding the why we do things makes it easier to understand our own style and others.
Balls, lane conditions and adjustments weren't covered very well (in my opinion) for Bronze but are covered more heavily for the Silver. Unfortunately in the States they require one year at Bronze before you can attend the seminar for Silver.
To sum it up; it was a great decision and money well spent.

a lot of good points there bill, after some more research i found that the next available date for the general Canadian coaching program is in January so i think i will go to that, after that i will figure out how to get the bowling specific training, regarding usbc Certified coaching, is that something that would be available to a Canadian citizen? i know i would have to go to the states for the seminar(s), but when i looked on bowl.com it required a American SIN.

Definitely looks like a great experience and opportunity to learn, are you going to go for silver soon bill?

billf
10-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I want to go for the Silver next year. I've taken all the courses other than the seminar. The big question is whether I will have the money for the course ($495), travel, gas, etc and can talk the wife into letting me spend that much on bowling stuff again.

75lockwood
10-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I want to go for the Silver next year. I've taken all the courses other than the seminar. The big question is whether I will have the money for the course ($495), travel, gas, etc and can talk the wife into letting me spend that much on bowling stuff again.

Lol ouch, that does sound a bit steap, maybe you could find out where the seminar is then see if your wife wants to go on vacation.... "and o btw honey there is a bowling seminar in town"

:cool:

Zothen
10-28-2012, 01:18 PM
@Billf-Tell the wife your are taking her on a mini vacation and when she hears your going to a coaching seminar for your bowling certificate,slip her a couple hundies and tell her to go shopping while you go to the seminar. If she's like most women,she'll get giddy,kiss you on the cheek and tell you to have a good time at the seminar while she goes shopping.

Zothen

billf
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
It's all day for multiple days. Not exactly relaxing vacation type days either. There was homework and crap just for Bronze so I would imagine Silver would be even more of it.

75lockwood
10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Drat, so what will it be silver cert or the complete dv8 arsenal?