PDA

View Full Version : Polished bowling balls

edpup316
10-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Silly question... maybe. So you polish a bowling ball because you want a smoother surface so it slides longer but wouldn't that same shiny surface maybe cause more deflection when it hits the pins then a matte finish ball? Cause its shiny and smooth. Just a thought let me know if im crazy or not.

Ball99999
10-27-2012, 05:48 AM
No wouldn't come into play when it hits the pins

MICHAEL
10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Call me crazy, but a slick surface, ( I would think ) is easy to deflect with pins. Would it not be the differance between a snow tire, and a slick tire on snow? c If your angle is not just perfect would it not be effected more with the slick surface vs non polished? Law's of physics! I think that was a good question!

bowl1820
10-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Deflection happens If the bowling ball is sliding through the pins or never quite grips the lane.

This can happen if it's a light weight ball or the deck is wet with oil or you have high enough speed going through the pins, any of which doesn't allow the ball to grip the lane in the first place will cause it to deflect.

This could happen with a sanded or polished ball.

One thing also a smooth ball makes more surface contact (Has a larger footprint) than a sanded ball. This generates more friction which would help reduce deflection.

Mikes tire analogy is close. (Also slick and smooth are two different things)

A sanded ball is like a tire with tread, the tread is meant to grip the lane through the oil.
A smooth ball is like a racing slick, it will slide on oil yes, but will have the most grip on the dry.

Old saying:
A sanded ball hooks less, but hooks earlier than a smooth ball.
A smooth ball hooks more, but hooks later than a sanded ball.

Also Deflection is neither good or bad, but you can have too much or too little.

MICHAEL
10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
One thing also a smooth ball makes more surface contact (Has a larger footprint) than a sanded ball. This generates more friction which would help reduce deflection.

I wonder HOW large of a foot print a ball actually has on a lane? How much surface is in contact with the lane? Has that ever been measured? When you use the word FOOT PRINT,,,lol,,,, maybe a medium, size fly with small feet? lol I would imagine it to be very small since the ball is round, and the surface flat.

bowl1820
10-27-2012, 01:10 PM

I wonder HOW large of a foot print a ball actually has on a lane? How much surface is in contact with the lane? Has that ever been measured? When you use the word FOOT PRINT,,,lol,,,, maybe a medium, size fly with small feet? lol I would imagine it to be very small since the ball is round, and the surface flat.

How much I don't know. But it's more than you might think, it depends on the hardness of the ball and lane surface. That's why they have rules on ball hardness, a softer ball would have even more surface contact and more friction.

Here's a graphic to illustrate the contact:
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=664&d=1351357440

bowl1820
10-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Did a quick look through my files, found this in the Matching Up- The Ball to the Bowler guide.

How the Surface Bumpiness (Surface Roughness) Affects the Roll of the Ball
As the surface bumpiness increases, the overall amount of break usually increases. This is
most easily seen as the sanding state of the surface of the ball. As the sanding grit number
decreases, the overall amount of break increases. In the published ball guides, balls are
sometimes listed with ratings for both the smooth and sanded state. The sanded state “almost
always” has more hook potential.
There are exceptions, however. When a bowling ball has too much roughness (traction), it will
do well in the early part of the oil but may not get enough friction (rubbing) at the rear part of
the lane. The result is that the sanded ball actually breaks less than the smooth surface ball of
the same type. This is especially true of an aggressive reactive resin ball. That type ball does
extremely well on the dry back end. And, it is mostly because of friction, not traction. If you
sand the ball, you decrease the total surface of the ball that makes contact with the lane surface.
Hence, the ball will break less, not more.

Zothen
10-27-2012, 01:40 PM
A polished ball has in my opinion has more hitting power then a dull ball. Also a polished ball will have more snap to the pocket then a dull ball.

Zothen

bowl1820
10-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I wonder HOW large of a foot print a ball actually has on a lane? How much surface is in contact with the lane? Has that ever been measured? .

Did some looking, it was measured. They used it in setting some standard for lane hardness. Don't have the numbers but it was measured.

Excerpt:
"That specification is a result of a new test procedure which analyzes surface friction and bowling ball footprint size in the readings"

billf
10-27-2012, 11:02 PM
ok, you're crazy. How's that for short and to the point :cool:

MICHAEL
10-28-2012, 12:53 AM
hummmm,,, I would think that style of bowling would make a HUGE differance in regards to how much energy/hooking power is lost when. Even how a ball reacts on the back end depends on Speed, Rev's, angle, so many things come to play when trying to figure out ((how to surface your Ball))! I would guess not one size fits all!! example: ( we have a lady on our leauge on mondays in her late 60's throws a old plastic ball, medium/slow speed, and on fresh house shot oil, hooks that ball LIKE a high Rev bowler.) One of the better women bowlers on that league. She gets this great hook by throwing it down the outside with counter clockwise spin on the ball! Her speed, and rev's work perfect for her! She has had that ball for several years, and has had nothing done to it. So again,,, you can do great things by simple mastering the use of almost any ball surface, if your smart enough to know how to use it!

I think the equipment is great we have today, but the key will always be perfecting your bowling skills, and knowledge,, I will put that up against any magic ball or surface texture! As I have said before, you can Give Jason/The Dude any ball,,,, AnY,,,,, ANY,,, and he can throw stirkes with it!! Knowledge/Skill will always win out over ball! IMHA!!

A weak stroker, like her, does great with her plastic ball!! Figure????