PDA

View Full Version : Hello, from NW Iowa

Mike1977
10-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and sorta of new to bowling. I bowled when I was in my teens, and am now re-entering the sport. I am currently bowling casually and haven't joined a league. I bowl with a Storm Marvel Pearl and tomorrow will be receiving a Pyramid path ball for spares. When I was in my teens I bowled a straight ball, now I am learning to throw a curve. Sometime soon I hope to have the spare ball drilled and see the difference on how it reacts compared to the marvel pearl.

I have had the pearl for about a year, but didn't get a whole lot of chances to bowl with it. I am trying to change that, by going at least once a week to my local bowling center.

I just received a wrist brace (Brunswick Powerkoil) and have bowled wearing it once. It was a very different feeling, and my scores were around 140 to 160 bowling with it for the first time. Without it sometimes I could bowl closer to 180 but after bowling I would have a lot of pain just above my wrist. I could bowl about 3 games before my wrist would cause me problems and could barely hold onto the ball. with the brace for the first time, I bowled 3 games without any pain after I was done. The lady at my local bowling center (the co-owner) made the comment to me when she saw the brace "that it's just a crutch and that I needed to bowl more." I am not sure if this is true or not, but my wrist is always tender after my job of being a large animal vet assistant. Some weeks working I give about 6000 vaccinations to animals and it isn't easy.

Anyhow I am getting a little long winded, I am glad I found this site. I will have more questions as a newbie. I hope to get to know you all.

Thanks from NW Iowa,
Mike

billf
10-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Welcome Mike. People who don't have physically demanding jobs have no clue so pay no attention to them. Obviously zero pain is better.

AngeloPD
10-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Welcome to the boards Mike!

Brother_jd
10-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Welcome. it has got to suck to stab animals 6000 times a week.

J Anderson
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and sorta of new to bowling. I bowled when I was in my teens, and am now re-entering the sport. I am currently bowling casually and haven't joined a league. I bowl with a Storm Marvel Pearl and tomorrow will be receiving a Pyramid path ball for spares. When I was in my teens I bowled a straight ball, now I am learning to throw a curve. Sometime soon I hope to have the spare ball drilled and see the difference on how it reacts compared to the marvel pearl.

I have had the pearl for about a year, but didn't get a whole lot of chances to bowl with it. I am trying to change that, by going at least once a week to my local bowling center.

I just received a wrist brace (Brunswick Powerkoil) and have bowled wearing it once. It was a very different feeling, and my scores were around 140 to 160 bowling with it for the first time. Without it sometimes I could bowl closer to 180 but after bowling I would have a lot of pain just above my wrist. I could bowl about 3 games before my wrist would cause me problems and could barely hold onto the ball. with the brace for the first time, I bowled 3 games without any pain after I was done. The lady at my local bowling center (the co-owner) made the comment to me when she saw the brace "that it's just a crutch and that I needed to bowl more." I am not sure if this is true or not, but my wrist is always tender after my job of being a large animal vet assistant. Some weeks working I give about 6000 vaccinations to animals and it isn't easy.

Anyhow I am getting a little long winded, I am glad I found this site. I will have more questions as a newbie. I hope to get to know you all.

Thanks from NW Iowa,
Mike

Welcome. No need to apologize, I need some thing to read before Sandy comes by and knocks the power out.

Sounds like you should look into exercises/stretches that would prevent or delay the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome.

75lockwood
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Welcome the the boards, have you tried some wrist exercises? stretching and/or using a stress ball helps the wrist

The German Shepherd
10-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the Boards!

Jay