PDA

View Full Version : Jim tomek jr. Leads tqr at chameleon championship

onefrombills
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Jim Tomek Jr.’s hard work has certainly paid off. Tomek Jr., who has been working closely with friend and exempt bowler Danny Wiseman on his game, led Wednesday’s Tournament Qualifying Round (TQR) to advance to the main field of the Chameleon Championship at Taylor Lanes.

Tomek Jr., 32, of Camp Hill, Pa. led the field with a score of 1,578, averaging 225.43 over the seven game block.

“I’m pretty familiar with the Chameleon (pattern),” Tomek Jr. said. “I’ve been working on my start, my push away. I was having a hard time getting into my swing but I’ve been working with Danny Wiseman to get my start better.”

Tomek Jr., a former PBA Tour exempt player, hopes to improve on his career-best PBA finish of third which he achieved in 2004 at the PBA Days Inn Open in Dallas.

“I’m just going to have to see what happens tomorrow,” he said. “The exempt guys will play the lanes different than the TQR so I’ll just go in there with an open mind, hopefully adjust and see what happens.”

The top qualifiers were all close as Troy Wollenbecker of Miami was right behind Tomek Jr., with 1,553 pins and once PBA Tour exempt player Brian LeClair of Athens, N.Y. finished third with a score of 1,551.

Also earning spots in Thursday’s Round of 64 were Jesse Buss of Wichita, Kansas with a score of 1,542, former PBA Tour exempt player and titlist Jeff Lizzi of Sandusky, Ohio with 1,540 pins, amateur and Saginaw Valley State senior Dan MacLelland of Windsor, Ontario at 1,530, P.J. Haggerty of Clovis, Calif. with a score of 1,523 and Jeremy Hunt of Sikeston, Mo. at 1,514.

Thursday’s men’s competition continues with the qualifying Round of 64, cutting down the field to the top 32 players. The women’s field will begin play on Thursday with its qualifying Round of 16, cutting the field down to 10.

Chameleon Championship Format:
The field of 64 players will bowl two, 7-game qualifying rounds for a total of 14 games on Thursday, Nov. 13 in which the top 32 players advance to match play. Bowlers making the cut return on Friday morning, Nov. 14 for the first nine games of an 18 game round robin match play schedule. The field will then be cut to the top 16 players who will return on Friday evening for the second round of match play competition. At the conclusion of match play, the top four finalists will advance to stepladder competition, i.e. No. 5 vs. No. 4, winner vs. No. 3, winner vs. No. 2, en route to championship match, aired live on ESPN on Sunday, Nov. 16 at 1 p.m. All times ET.
PBA Women’s Series Format
The field of 16 players will bowl two, 7-game qualifying rounds for a total of 14 games on Thursday, Nov. 13 in which the top 10 players advance to match play. Bowlers making the cut return on Friday evening, Nov. 14 for nine games of round robin match play competition. At the conclusion of match play, the top two finalists will compete in the championship match on Sunday, Nov. 16, aired live on ESPN at 1 p.m. All times ET