PDA

View Full Version : Dial a Wrist things??

MICHAEL
11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Do they Guarantee lots more rev’s,,,, or accuracy,,, I have been thinking about getting one! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Any certain one better then others, ect.. Have any of you purchased one, only to find out it was worthless, and go back to free hand?

Big Nick
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Do they Guarantee lots more rev’s,,,, or accuracy,,, I have been thinking about getting one! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Any certain one better then others, ect.. Have any of you purchased one, only to find out it was worthless, and go back to free hand?

I have one that I use when my wrist hurts. If you cup it a lot, it can add some more revs but I don't put it at the most extreme settings. I try to set it so that it helps me mimic my normal free hand release, but it isn't the same. Also, if you're going to use it to help cup the ball, you might have to have your ball re-drilled since they can shorten your span a little.

Zothen
11-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I have a Storm Scorpion and I have found that If I set it around 25(cupped)and 1 line left it helps me get side roll. I think it helps a bit for me in accuracy,cause my wrist is not moving forcing me to use my fingers for lift. If you have a good relationship with your pro shop,they will let you test out the brace for a game to see if it will work for you before you buy it.

Zothen

75lockwood
11-01-2012, 03:21 PM
I tried one awhile back, i personally didn't like it, it felt awkward, not saying it won't help you, i'm just weird like that :p

bowl1820
11-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Do they Guarantee lots more rev’s,,,,
YES & NO. They might give you some more if you don't have much to begin with do to a inconsistent release. But if your at a higher level you could lose some.

or accuracy,,,
YES & NO. If your having problem do to a inconsistent release it could help.

I have been thinking about getting one! Any information would be greatly appreciated!
There's no way to tell if you need one. The best thing thing to do is go to the pro shop and try one to see if it helps. Most shops will let you test drive one.

They help some people others they don't

Any certain one better then others, ect.. Have any of you purchased one, only to find out it was worthless, and go back to free hand?

I have tried many over the years, the one I like the best is the Moro Pro-Release (I use the Extended Vers.)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/ext_pro_rel.jpg

It's strong, simple to use, has easily replaceable parts (padding and straps) and has lasted years.

The main thing with these type braces is "Don't let it control you, you need to control it". You have to learn how to use it properly to get any benefit.

AZBowla
11-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Those things look like something the Borg or Judge Dredd would wear. :) I thought about getting one, but decided against it for now. I've already got a new ball to get used to, adding some funky robotic arm looking thing to the mix also would just be one more adjustment to make. I like the feel of not having anything on my throwing arm anyway - I have a very basic brace that I no longer use because it feels more natural to throw the ball without it, and I seem to get better results that way.

MICHAEL
11-02-2012, 07:20 AM
The two AMF’s in our area don’t have a selection of wrist braces, other then a couple very basic ones! Nothing like your RED WRIST Machine Bowl1820 LOL
How to you put it on? Looks like a full body astronaut space suit!! Lol. Would love to see a picture of it on your wrist! I noticed it was not a dial a position? Or at least I couldn’t see an adjustment for cupping.

bowl1820
11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Would love to see a picture of it on your wrist! I noticed it was not a dial a position? Or at least I couldn’t see an adjustment for cupping.
Okay heres a pic.

You adjust cup using a latch on the back, just lift it and move to position. it has 5 wrist positions from fully cupped to bent back.
You can adjust the cock of your hand by moving the hand piece, its on a tab.
It fits just about any size its adjustable.

Its easy to put on, the other side is open. The nylon straps hold it on very securely.
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=673&d=1351862831

(the green tape was so I could see position on video)

http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=675&d=1351866495

Scojoy
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks so much for the pic, I just bought one for my aching wrist

billf
11-11-2012, 11:21 PM
They can help. If nothing else they make a good trainer for a stronger wrist position.

bowl1820
11-12-2012, 12:27 AM
They can help. If nothing else they make a good trainer for a stronger wrist position.

The best wrist device for training to me was the non-adjustable cobra
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=686&d=1352696993

The thing was you had to learn how to use it. When most people first tried it they would top the ball really bad. Because they let it control their hand.

The trick was when you held the ball, to turn your hand till you felt weight of the ball sit on your index finger. Then hold that position through the swing. You do it right you had a nice roll and turn on the ball. You could hook the whole lane with that thing.

One thing you had to hook the ball at just about every spare, unless you took it off. ( You could suitcase the ball and get a pretty straight shot. That's how I picked up ten pins).

The worst thing was the cheap straps the Original black one had.

Once you learned it, when you tried without it , all you had to do was hold the same position the glove held you in and you could throw a pretty good shot.

MICHAEL
11-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Opppps!!! To late the Mongoose is on its way from Bowlingball.com! I have never used a training device, so looking forward to trying it out!
Thanks for all the advice, will let you all know how it works out!

MICHAEL
11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
my mongoose came today form Bowlingball.com! Can't wait to try it it, ((NOT THAT I NEED A WRIST THING))!! Not with all the 700's that have been coming out of me lately!!! BAREHANDED!! I might wear it to keep the score down when I bowl The Dude!!

MICHAEL
11-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Mine is here, can't wait to bowl that 775, with the help of MONGOOSE!! LOL Will let you know what I think of it! Thanks Bowlingball.com, quick delevery!

GoodGorilla
11-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a Storm Scorpion and I have found that If I set it around 25(cupped)and 1 line left it helps me get side roll. I think it helps a bit for me in accuracy,cause my wrist is not moving forcing me to use my fingers for lift. If you have a good relationship with your pro shop,they will let you test out the brace for a game to see if it will work for you before you buy it.

Zothen

Woah, I didn't know you could set a cock amount. Maybe a wrist device can act like training wheels.

75lockwood
11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Woah, I didn't know you could set a cock amount. Maybe a wrist device can act like training wheels.

I would be careful with with, yes it can help you find the correct wrist position, but you may find yourself becoming dependent on it....

its like using a crutch to take the weight off your leg, if you don't need it all it will do is make your leg weaker because its doing all the work as apposed to your leg

Bahshay
11-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I would be careful with with, yes it can help you find the correct wrist position, but you may find yourself becoming dependent on it....

its like using a crutch to take the weight off your leg, if you don't need it all it will do is make your leg weaker because its doing all the work as apposed to your leg

This, a million times. Unless your wrists are physically too weak to hold the ball, I don't recommend wrist guards. They merely hinder learning and eliminate hand adjustments.