PDA

View Full Version : Drilling layouts

Brother_jd
11-03-2012, 02:59 AM
I saw in a post Ubowling is getting a ball drilled 50x4x60 or something of that nature. Can someone explain to me what each of those numbers means?

striker12
11-03-2012, 06:45 AM
like go on bowlingball.com look up a ball that has layouts in it when you open the ball like lets say the brunswick nexxus or any of them and look at the layouts that's in there and look at the one that says maximum hook/arc and look at the numbers thats the numbers hes talking about i think cause if you look at the mid track i will try this but proably will get it wrong the numbers for the nexxus balls with the mid track and the numbers are.......45x4x70 (i think that's the way its said)

i only with the first layouts did not feel like looking at the other ones

but maby its another way but this is the way i think it is maby someone else will say that im doing it wrong and tell me the right way if im wrong.

bowl1820
11-03-2012, 11:00 AM
I saw in a post Ubowling is getting a ball drilled 50x4x60 or something of that nature. Can someone explain to me what each of those numbers means?

That's a dual Angle layout
Take a look at my blog post here
Basic-example-of-how-to-layout-a-ball-using-a-dual-angle-layout (http://www.bowlingboards.com/entries/494-Basic-example-of-how-to-layout-a-ball)

50 X 4 X 60 Means it has a:

1. The Drilling Angle: 50 Degrees
2. Pin to Positive Axis Point (PAP) distance: is 4 inches
3. The Angle between the Pin to PAP line and the VAL (Angle to the VAL): is 60 Degrees

Drilling Angle:
Small angles will roll the soonest, larger will roll the latest

Pin to PAP:
The pin to PAP distance is used to control the amount of flare.

Angle to the VAL:
Smaller angle the ball revs up faster and transitioning quicker (lowers RG, raises differential).
Larger angle the ball revs up slower and transitioning slower (raises RG, lowers differential).

Zothen
11-03-2012, 01:52 PM
@Bowl1820-What is the advantage/disadvantage of a dual angle layout? Can it be used on symmetrical and asymmetrical balls?

Zothen

bowl1820
11-03-2012, 07:25 PM
@Bowl1820-What is the advantage/disadvantage of a dual angle layout? Can it be used on symmetrical and asymmetrical balls?

Zothen

From the Manual:
The DUAL ANGLE LAYOUT TECHNIQUE works accurately for ALL bowling balls with the pin out at least 1½". It is also effective for balls with symmetrical or asymmetrical cores.

You can read about the Dual Angle Layout Technique Here:
http://www.morichbowling.com/Education/DualAngleSeminar/DualAngleSeminar.htm

The main advantage to the dual angle system is that it describes how each of the elements affect ball motion and how to apply that to the your delivery specs to achieve the desired ball reaction. It's pretty simple to layout on the ball too, you just need a quarter scale and pencil.

Not to say the other system's don't work.

Brother_jd
11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
What is more effective? This form of getting a ball drilled or the manufacter recomendation?

bowl1820
11-07-2012, 12:22 AM
What is more effective? This form of getting a ball drilled or the manufacter recomendation?

The layouts on the drill sheets are basic layouts for different reactions and can be fine general.

Think of the Dual angle system as a way of fine tuning the layout to match the bowler to the lane condition.

Brother_jd
11-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Would the pro shop guy know what I am referring too if i walk in and say i want a 50x5x50? I am in Okinawa and the on base pro shop has a japanese guy that drills the balls, or would he look at me like i have been sniffing too many Storm balls.

bowl1820
11-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Would the pro shop guy know what I am referring too if i walk in and say i want a 50x5x50? I am in Okinawa and the on base pro shop has a japanese guy that drills the balls, or would he look at me like i have been sniffing too many Storm balls.

That would all depend on how up to date he is on stuff. Just ask him.

noeymc
11-07-2012, 12:31 AM
so say i got the dv8 nightmare what drilling would give me the most backend at about 20 mph ball speed =D

bowl1820
11-07-2012, 12:48 AM
so say i got the dv8 nightmare what drilling would give me the most backend at about 20 mph ball speed =D

That I can't tell you And the one's that can really tell you (which I doubt are on here), Will need more info than 20 mph.

your: ball speed, Rev's, Tilt, rotation, if your speed dominate, rev dominate, matched

noeymc
11-07-2012, 12:59 AM
ok sounds good i dont think i am a rev guy as i prob only get 250-325 just a guess tho so more of a speed dominate person