PDA

View Full Version : Finally, finally finally, I figured out how to release a ball

Ball99999
11-03-2012, 07:29 AM
I figured it out. Finally.

Before, I THOUGHT the idea was to have zero, 0, zilch, grip pressure on the ball.
But when I started everyone said "thumb comes out first, then the fingers". I NEVER felt the distinction. I always just assumed it happened. But nope, it didn't. So I finally took all my tape out and on a fluke, using grip pressure I practiced and wow. I felt it. POP thumb comes out, fingers "catch" the grips (and now I can finally say I prefer ovals over lifts for the right reason), and voila spin.. revs.
After constantly getting my thumb stuck in the ball, overturning it, lofting it halfway down the lane etc.

I feel like I can FINALLY release a damn ball, easily, after all the hand exercises I did, I can get more revs, I can change axis rotation.. wow very exciting. I now GET why cupping works, it gives the fingers extra hang time. I finally get why accelerating through the release point gives more revs.
I haven't bowled this way yet but hopefully putting some grip pressure doesn't affect a free arm swing/ball speed.

After all this it was caused because of too much tape and no grip pressure. Not a problem you probably see everyday.

What I'd like to do now that I hopefully have this all fixed, is create an arcing, banana shaped motion with my balls. I feel that is more controllable, easier to adjust, is that right?

Tampabaybob
11-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Great to see the light bulb came on ! Now get out there and try it in practice. It'll work for you just be aware of your hand all the way through your delivery. In other words, FEEL IT>

Bob

The German Shepherd
11-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Ditto on the "light bulb" moment. You will find that kind of thing happening often (the light bulb thing) as you progress. One thing I have found is that if I concentrate on my release point (read - "feeling the release point") everything seems to work backwards from there. In other words, if you get to the foul line and feel that your release is oure and on time, then you know the rest of your delivery is well "in-sync." I hope I am making some sense here....

Jay

AZBowla
11-03-2012, 11:30 AM
It's always fun when you have that "aha!" moment and you finally feel like all the practice, reading, watching videos and frustration finally paid off.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, that's when I will finally be able to get some practice in. Going to be trying to get my ball speed up and try not to leave so many stone 7's. Hoping for a similar "aha" moment as well!

noeymc
11-03-2012, 11:45 AM
congrats!! lol

75lockwood
11-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Great to hear things "clicked" for you, the long banana motion is that of stroker, if you want this motion in general you should have a rev rate under 325, this gives the ball less "grip on the back end of the lane and instead of that quick snap you will get the nice arching motion. that being said, on a THS you don't have much hope getting a smooth arc with a ball like the nightmare or hrr LOL

Zothen
11-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Congrats on your Eureka moment! Now join a practice league and work on your game!

Zothen

75lockwood
11-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Congrats on your Eureka moment! Now join a practice league and work on your game!

Zothen

This.

Practice Practice Practice! if not in a league setting ally's often have very cheap bowling at off hours, great time to practice because the ally is often near empty and nice and quiet.

striker12
11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
grates on finaly figuring it out.

AngeloPD
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
awesome job ball99999!!

Big Nick
11-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Zothen

THIS!!!! If you really want to get better, join a league (if you aren't already in one). I've been bowling off and on since I was in college and never had much success. Since joining my first league earlier this summer, my average has gone up significantly. If you're lucky and wind up on a team with some good bowlers, you can learn a lot from listening to what they have to say and watching them bowl.