PDA

View Full Version : Mid to late 90s, what were the balls like?

Ball99999
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
How would you compare them to today's balls?
Would something in say a brand's entry line or midrange balls have been considered high performance?

Did they have as many balls and ball changes back then? Or did they rely on surface change?

Zothen
11-03-2012, 09:54 PM
In the 90's the AMF Bullwhip SE for example would have been their high performance ball. No comparison! Todays balls out perform the balls of yesterday do to improved coverstock technology and how the lanes are oiled. The balls then would be considered entry-mid level balls.

Zothen

billf
11-03-2012, 09:57 PM
I've heard but didn't get to experience this myself, that the particle cover stock balls would still out hook anything made today. The problem was they soaked up the oil and wouldn't release it as easily as today's balls so they died out too fast, were high maintenance and very hard to keep from over hooking.

bowl1820
11-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I've heard but didn't get to experience this myself, that the particle cover stock balls would still out hook anything made today. The problem was they soaked up the oil and wouldn't release it as easily as today's balls so they died out too fast, were high maintenance and very hard to keep from over hooking.

Particle balls were pretty powerful, which was part of the problem. They were so limited in use, nobody put out a shot that you could really use them on properly.

A lot of them did soak up oil, but there really wasn't that wide spread a thought on getting the oil out at first. That developed a little later as the trend of balls "dieing" started and it was determined it was do to the oil absorption.

Another problem was that most didn't know how to maintain the covers. They used different types of particles and if you sanded with the wrong thing. It would damage them and reduce the effectiveness.

I had several particle balls, like the Storm La Nina. That was like throwing a ball covered in sandpaper down the lane.

75lockwood
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Particle balls were pretty powerful, which was part of the problem. They were so limited in use, nobody put out a shot that you could really use them on properly.

A lot of them did soak up oil, but there really wasn't that wide spread a thought on getting the oil out at first. That developed a little later as the trend of balls "dieing" started and it was determined it was do to the oil absorption.

Another problem was that most didn't know how to maintain the covers. They used different types of particles and if you sanded with the wrong thing. It would damage them and reduce the effectiveness.

I had several particle balls, like the Storm La Nina. That was like throwing a ball covered in sandpaper down the lane.

interesting concept... is there a rule stating the grit restrictions on bowling balls? 50 grit sand paper....... LOL

Zothen
11-04-2012, 12:43 AM
50 grit sandpaper is way to harsh. I would suggest abarlon or sissar pads,but,you really should have a pro shop do it unless you have proper equipment and know what your doing.

Zothen

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 09:32 AM
50 grit sandpaper is way to harsh. I would suggest abarlon or sissar pads,but,you really should have a pro shop do it unless you have proper equipment and know what your doing.

Zothen

i know, i would never do it lol, but just imagine how much friction you would get from a ball like that lol

Zothen
11-04-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure you would get absorbtion as much as you would have scratch up ball.

Zothen

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure you would get absorbtion as much as you would have scratch up ball.

Zothen

meh, it would still be an interesting experiment with a old beat up ball