PDA

View Full Version : bowling release, My Ball is rolling over thumbhole

Ucci
11-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I am having trouble with my release. I had to stop bowling for a year due to work related injuries and I am finally being let go by the doctors. I went out and tried to bowl and my ball keeps rolling over the THUMB hole. I have no idea why. and I cant seem to fix it. Its tearing up my bowling game! can anyone help me, any ideas how to fix this???????????????

Ball99999
11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
do you turn your hand at all?

Ucci
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
during my push off and the rest of my swing path I am inside of the ball the at the bottom I come out of it as I usually do (but that's no the case). Its not forward roll really, it has side spin but it rolls all the way from release to pins with a constantly thumping noise. my hook potential has gone down due to this. I'm a cranker and I'm unleashing around 500rpms and playing 15 to 10 with 18miles/hour and its barely coming up. just so confused and fed up with it

75lockwood
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Edit: post made moot by your response before i posted lol

75lockwood
11-03-2012, 09:17 PM
during my push off and the rest of my swing path I am inside of the ball the at the bottom I come out of it as I usually do (but that's no the case). Its not forward roll really, it has side spin but it rolls all the way from release to pins with a constantly thumping noise. my hook potential has gone down due to this. I'm a cranker and I'm unleashing around 500rpms and playing 15 to 10 with 18miles/hour and its barely coming up. just so confused and fed up with it

is it possible that the ball is damaged? if the core is loose this could happen...

Zothen
11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Try slowing everything down and remember to lift the ball with your fingers at release.

Zothen

billf
11-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Being a cranker with reasonable speed and above average revs I would guess you were a high track player to begin with. Axis tilt is the leading cause of rolling over the thumb hole. Playing the inside part of the ball correctly you will have good side roll/rotation. Once you fix the tilt of your rotation the movement will return. Axis tilt is controlled by when and where the thumb exits the ball. High track players have less margin of error in this area due to the track being so close to the holes to begin with. Without any video my best guess would be your timing is a tick off. Most crankers are late to begin with so you're probably a millisecond earlier than you were before.

Ucci
11-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Would it do any help if I change the pitch in the fingers or thumb maybe? Just throwing out suggestions maybe. Because I tried bowling earlier today and slowing down and really trying to focus on my timing and what not but seems to still roll over the thumb.

Zothen
11-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I would go to your local pro shop and have them check your ball to see if core is intact,if it is I would have them measure your hand span,finger & thumb pitch.

Zothen

Ucci
11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Alright man, sounds good! thanks. . .However really hope its just my pitches or timing way off. Because all of my balls are rolling over thumb hole, I better not have all of my balls broken cores or loose lol

Big Nick
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I had a similar problem, albeit with a conventionally drilled ball, and it was all related to how my hand was positioned at the time of release. Make sure that you're staying behind the ball and not turning it too early. If I had to guess, you're tending toward a full-roller release. There's a video around here somewhere that demonstrates a drill to help with this problem. I'll see if I can find it.

75lockwood
11-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Alright man, sounds good! thanks. . .However really hope its just my pitches or timing way off. Because all of my balls are rolling over thumb hole, I better not have all of my balls broken cores or loose lol

Lol if it's happening with every ball you use there is no way its a broken ball, the only reason i said it was i saw a fellow bowler who has a loose core bowl and the thing was thumping down the lane lol (he had left the ball in the car over night in -30 degree weather and thought he would throw it the next morning)

billf
11-05-2012, 10:26 PM
There is also a chance the during the time you took a break and your return that your PAP changed raising your track. I also think a quick trip to the pro shop would help solve this. Is this the only ball doing it?

Tampabaybob
11-06-2012, 10:13 PM
My question would be where is the oil track on your ball ? Was it always in the same spot or did it change when you started bowling again? Try changing your wrist position, cocking it, so your fingers are at 9 or 10 O'clock under the ball. As Bill mentioned this will change the axis the ball is rolling on and "should" get it off of the thumb. If you're hitting the thumb on all of the balls you own, and they're all drilled a little differently, the I'd say it's your hand position at the point of release. Have someone watch your release (very closely) or video your approach and release and run it back in slow motion to see exactly where your hand is upon release. Stay in touch with us and let us know whats happening.

Bob