PDA

View Full Version : How do balls absorb oil?

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 02:59 AM
You know it's kind of weird that you see these really smooth balls, even at lower grits, and wonder how oil gets sucked up into these non visible pores but then you give them a bath and you can really feel the oil come out. I gave my ball a bath the other night and did again just now and still more oil.

Topic is: how often do you give your balls a bath

bowl1820
11-04-2012, 06:56 AM
Just curious, when balls uptake oil, is it because it lands on the oil and digs into the oil, pressing the oil into the microscopic pores?

No it's Mainly do to absorption, like when you set a sponge in a puddle of water.

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 09:23 AM
No it's Mainly do to absorption, like when you set a sponge in a puddle of water.

The Capillary effect!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

MisterSinister
11-04-2012, 12:23 PM
It's pure magic. That's some straight up David Copperfield stuff right there.

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 12:56 PM
It's pure magic. That's some straight up David Copperfield stuff right there.

LOL, david copperfield is nothing in comparison to magic bowling ball's

billf
11-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Actually it's fairly interesting and a good question. Maybe you could study it as a science project for school.

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 03:05 PM
The Capillary effect!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

I found a random document that briefly mentions capillary action :D

Leaching a Bowling Ball
Another example of how temperature affects a bowling ball is the process of “leaching” the oil
out of the surface of a bowling ball. There are several machines that automatically heat the
ball and rotate the ball at the same time and allow the oil imbedded in the surface of a bowling
ball to be extruded and deposited into a pan. The heat applied to the ball surface opens up the
porosity of the ball surface and allows the oil to seep out. It had been drawn into the surface
by capillary action at the surface of the ball.

http://www.bowlingcoach.com/CESept02.pdf

Googled.

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I have not been in school in a long time.

This topic was supposed to be about how often you give your balls a bath... not sure why it was changed?

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 07:12 PM

This topic was supposed to be about how often you give your balls a bath... not sure why it was changed?

you asked how balls absorb oil.....

when the ball rolls though the oil it acts as a sponge and sucks up the oil based on the capillary effect.

regarding how often to bath your ball, depending on how well you clean it between shots, and after each session this will vary. personally i do it monthly or sooner if i notice a drop off in reaction.

bowl1820
11-04-2012, 07:18 PM

The title was changed to reflect more what was in the post. Which are questions regarding how oil is absorbed into ball. There are none about how often a ball bath is done.

You know it's kind of weird that you see these really smooth balls, even at lower grits, and wonder how oil gets sucked up into these non visible pores but then you give them a bath and you can really feel the oil come out. I gave my ball a bath the other night and did again just now and still more oil.

Just curious, when balls uptake oil, is it because it lands on the oil and digs into the oil, pressing the oil into the microscopic pores?

this was added later

Post titles should reflect what your post is about. Most people read the body of the post and reply to it, not the title.

Accurate titles also help others find information they may be wanting.

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 07:25 PM
you asked how balls absorb oil.....

when the ball rolls though the oil it acts as a sponge and sucks up the oil based on the capillary effect.

regarding how often to bath your ball, depending on how well you clean it between shots, and after each session this will vary. personally i do it monthly or sooner if i notice a drop off in reaction.

that was just a side question. the main question was often people gave their balls a bath :/

bowl1820
11-04-2012, 07:29 PM
that was just a side question. the main question was often people gave their balls a bath :/

Then that should have been the first question in the body of your post.

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Then that should have been the first question in the body of your post.
but.. why repeat the topic title? I don't get it.

billf
11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Or just read the thread that was already started on the topic of how often. But anyway, I started doing them 50-75 games. Now it seems as the games pile up they need it more often. Given the high number of games on mine, I usually end up doing them once a week.

75lockwood
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM

essay writing!!!

Title

Thesis or topic sentence

Body

Restatement of Thesis

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
essay writing!!!

Title

Thesis or topic sentence

Body

Restatement of Thesis

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

We're not in high school, or writing essays..

MisterSinister
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Or just read the thread that was already started on the topic of how often.

That's what I thought as well.

Ball99999
11-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Sigh... ...you can't fix stupid.

wtf was stupid about what i said?

bowl1820
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
but.. why repeat the topic title? I don't get it.

Let's do a example:

Topic title:
How often do you put air in your tires?

Body of post:

"The other night I was putting air in my tires an I was wondering how the brake fluid worked the brakes. I was also curious how the fluid got pumped down the lines."

Now when people read that, what do you think they are to going reply to?

Most people will read that wonder why you titled it about air, then write about how brake fluid is pumped. Then they will reply about how the fluid is pumped.

The point is, your sending a confusing message about what your post is mainly asking about.

billf
11-04-2012, 08:20 PM
So you're not a youngster, no longer in high school yet seem to have a problem with proper composition. I'm not trying to be mean but given some of your replies on threads and inability to incorporate what people have suggested into your game leads me to a conclusion. Whether or not it's a fair conclusion, I do not know. Composition, comprehension and retention of written information is a weakness. It could also be part of what has led some people here to think you're just being a jerk on purpose when in actuality you just don't interpret what was said to you correctly, retain it properly and then answer in a manner that comes across as intended.
Everybody has flaws. Knowing and understanding their flaws helps to communicate with them in a way they can understand easier.