PDA

View Full Version : Joined and bowled in my first Amateur Bowlers Tour tournament this past weekend

slowfaller
11-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Decided to 'join the tour' haha and bowled in my first non no-tap tournament this past weekend since bowling a YABA coca-cola tournament probably 17 years ago. Got my butt kicked.

With my current avg and last years, the director calculated a 210 avg for me with 10 pins hdcp. The way they keep score is 200 = 0 so if I bowl a 150 plus 10 for hdcp my score would be -40. After every game you add or subtract pins based on what you bowled over/under a 200 score.

They had the pattern out to practice on and I rolled a 206 and was feeling good, my 2nd practice game I went for the 7 pin then would roll a pocket shot so score wasn't important in my 2nd game but again, was feeling good.

Then my squad started. I wasn't trusting my release and kept trying to guide the ball to the pocket which resulted in me pulling a lot of shots. Spares could've been way better too.

165, 175, 145 for a score of -85.

I decided not to bowl a Sunday squad and am kind of regretting not bowling, this stuff is tough but the more comfortable I become I will then see my scores rise hopefully.

Chris

Davec13
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Did you have fun at least?

For the first few tournaments (unless you get on a hot streak) I would chalk them up to experience.

slowfaller
11-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Did you have fun at least?

For the first few tournaments (unless you get on a hot streak) I would chalk them up to experience.

I was bowling so I had fun. There were only a total of four people per pair so the pace was fast but the other three guys were all good sports. I definitely will chalk it up to experience and want to bowl in more, but they can be expensive every weekend. These are something I think I could win at some point but want to sound confident, not cocky.

With this first tournament I would have settled to make the cut but that was +36. -85 wasn't doing it! :D
It came down to mechanics and thats where I failed. Balance and free arm swing would've helped me score better but my mind wasn't clear. First time jitters for sure.

Davec13
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
You have seen it posted here many times, consistency is the key to this sport. It doesn't matter if you bowl 20mph or 5mph have 600revs or 50revs all that matters is you need to hit your mark consistently and good things will happen.

I know what you mean about costs adding up too. That's why you need to look for tournaments that are more suited to you. If you are just starting in tourneys try and find some handicap tournaments that will at least keep you competitive.

AZBowla
11-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I'd love to try my hand at some of these but I know if I did it now I'd just be donating money to the winner. It's a goal of mine though to someday get good enough to enter tournaments and win some money so that my little bowling habit can become financially self-sustaining (would that be semi-pro, lol?).

As a general rule, when should a player consider entering tournaments? Should I target a certain average, have X number of leagues under my belt or just go for it once I feel confident enough? Curious what others think on that.

striker12
11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
its fun to bowl in turrnys you learn alot of thing and it helps in the future if you get into anymore but me i love bowling in turnnys as long as it is for money then i will bowl 200s easy idk why but it seems like when i got pressure on me i bowl better then anything.

billf
11-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Keep doing tournaments. With a 210 average you won't be getting much handicap in any of them. You don't have to do one each weekend. Go every 4-6 weeks. They will definitely help you improve. The first few a rough. Not just score wise but humbling as well. Even at -85 you succeeded. You at least tried and that's more than some are willing to risk. I'm not talking about anybody here. I know 220-240 average bowlers who won't do tournaments due to the differing patterns. Like there life revolves around their bowling average.

slowfaller
11-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Keep doing tournaments. With a 210 average you won't be getting much handicap in any of them. You don't have to do one each weekend. Go every 4-6 weeks. They will definitely help you improve. The first few a rough. Not just score wise but humbling as well. Even at -85 you succeeded. You at least tried and that's more than some are willing to risk. I'm not talking about anybody here. I know 220-240 average bowlers who won't do tournaments due to the differing patterns. Like there life revolves around their bowling average.

Thank you Bill, I'm going to be working on my mental game and plan to roll more tournaments since my membership in ABT is good until 11/30/2013. Ego schmego, I just want to be the best bowler I can be.

AZBowla
11-08-2012, 06:29 PM
How much was it to join? I'd like to do this too starting early next year. I gotta do something, I'm spending way too much money on bowling. I might as well start doing leagues and tourney's so that I can hopefully win some of it back. :D

75lockwood
11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
How much was it to join? I'd like to do this too starting early next year. I gotta do something, I'm spending way too much money on bowling. I might as well start doing leagues and tourney's so that I can hopefully win some of it back. :D

Just an FYI, unless you get lucky the first few tournaments will end up increasing your bowling expenses lol

billf
11-08-2012, 07:04 PM
AZBOWLA one way to make money open bowling....purposely wait until the teens are there with their 20something friends. Purposely bowl the wrong line, target practice. Let them see you suck. Then when they start talking trash offer to compete for three games at a $1 a pin.
It works well until everybody gets to know who you are although I did have one guy set his friend up. He did it just to be able to rub it in to his buddy for a few days. I didn't care, I won $140 lol

75lockwood
11-08-2012, 07:51 PM
AZBOWLA one way to make money open bowling....purposely wait until the teens are there with their 20something friends. Purposely bowl the wrong line, target practice. Let them see you suck. Then when they start talking trash offer to compete for three games at a $1 a pin.
It works well until everybody gets to know who you are although I did have one guy set his friend up. He did it just to be able to rub it in to his buddy for a few days. I didn't care, I won $140 lol

Bill your just plain mean! but this does sound like fun...

AZBowla
11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Ha ha, no thanks Bill, I've seen Kingpin enough times to know what a bad idea that is, LOL! I don't want to be the next Roy Munson.

slowfaller
11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

$30 a year to join the ABT but they have a guest member ship that lets you bowl until you cash then dues are deducted from your winnings.

Tournament was $55 walk on or $50 pay in advance and I think they vary but not by much. They waived my $5 walkup fee since I just joined.

Chris

AZBowla
11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Cool, thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna sign up next weekend and try my hand at a tournament that's coming up in my area on Dec. 1st and 2nd. That gives me this month to practice some and get my release and arm swing under control.

slowfaller
11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Good luck and also work on accuracy, you go in blind to what pattern is down. A beer and a shot helped after the slaughter ;)

AZBowla
11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Just an FYI, unless you get lucky the first few tournaments will end up increasing your bowling expenses lol

Quiet, you... my GF reads this board, lol!!

Good luck and also work on accuracy, you go in blind to what pattern is down. A beer and a shot helped after the slaughter ;)

I think I might try downing a Margarita before I begin, since my GF does the driving. That way when I lose I'll be happier about it, LOL!

There's one happening this weekend too, but I'm no where near ready and it's the week before payday so I'm broke. So we're just gonna go watch that one to see what it'll be like. Even though I'm sure I'm going to get my butt kicked in December, I'm still excited about it. Should be fun! If nothing else, maybe I'll convert a few more deviants with my shiny red and yellow ball. :D :D :D

AZBowla
11-10-2012, 08:36 PM
So I went down and checked out this ABT thing... pretty darned sweet! I stuck around and watched one of the qualifying rounds and talked with the director for a bit, and I think this is really something I'll enjoy doing! Doing them every weekend would be too expensive (unless I win a few - fat chance watching the competition today) but once a month won't break the bank and will give me some valuable experience. If I do happen to get lucky enough to win, I'll upgrade to a Gold membership which out here gets you a storm bowling ball for free plus a bunch of other cool stuff, so it's completely worth it (but don't worry fellow deviants, I will still be rolling DV8's down those lanes most of the time). Thanks slowfaller for the heads up on the ABT!

billf
11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
You could always trade the free air freshener for a real ball at the pro shop. Most shops are open to the idea as long as the cost for each is about the same (their cost) and the freshener is one people want.

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Quiet, you... my GF reads this board, lol!!

haven't you learned yet? since she joined i have made it a goal to mess with you. Mwhahaha LOL

You could always trade the free air freshener for a real ball at the pro shop. Most shops are open to the idea as long as the cost for each is about the same (their cost) and the freshener is one people want.

Geeze bill, your getting more outright everyday about the hatred of storm lol

billf
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Umm, actually I've toned it down quite a bit. At one time I offered a reward for every Storm ball destroyed. I even wrote them a real letter saying how sad it was and it was customer service of this poor nature that was allowing foreign companies to dictate trade overseas and proud Americans such as myself to have to spend their hard earned dollars with a company that makes their stuff overseas. But at least that other company will answer e-mails. Funny but Storm never answered that letter either.

Davec13
11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Umm, actually I've toned it down quite a bit. At one time I offered a reward for every Storm ball destroyed. I even wrote them a real letter saying how sad it was and it was customer service of this poor nature that was allowing foreign companies to dictate trade overseas and proud Americans such as myself to have to spend their hard earned dollars with a company that makes their stuff overseas. But at least that other company will answer e-mails. Funny but Storm never answered that letter either.

They must have been to busy coming up with the smurfberry scented ball to answer you. :p

slowfaller
11-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks slowfaller for the heads up on the ABT!

You're welcome, knock 'em dead

Tampabaybob
11-15-2012, 07:18 AM
So I went down and checked out this ABT thing... pretty darned sweet! I stuck around and watched one of the qualifying rounds and talked with the director for a bit, and I think this is really something I'll enjoy doing! Doing them every weekend would be too expensive (unless I win a few - fat chance watching the competition today) but once a month won't break the bank and will give me some valuable experience. If I do happen to get lucky enough to win, I'll upgrade to a Gold membership which out here gets you a storm bowling ball for free plus a bunch of other cool stuff, so it's completely worth it (but don't worry fellow deviants, I will still be rolling DV8's down those lanes most of the time). Thanks slowfaller for the heads up on the ABT!

AZ.......You need to just go ahead and jump in and shake the uncertainness you have. Having bowled in hundreds and hundreds of tournaments, I came to the realization that if you can't go in with a positive attitude that you can win/cash, then stay home and watch some TV. You'll save some money on the entry fee and aspirin for the headache you'll have afterwards. Always have a positive attitude thing you are the best in the house when you start bowling these tournaments and you've come to kick a** and take names. Then just get inside your own game and don't worry about what other guy's are shooting around you. Shoot your own game not theirs.

Tournaments are fun, you get to meet a lot of interesting people, but when you step up on that approach, you need to take a headhunter attitude.
Good luck, I'd love to know how your first one goes.

Bob

slowfaller
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Did an ABT practice squad this past Saturday.
Pay $20 and roll two games, if you make the cut you win entry into the main squad (to have to make the cut again)
For two games I rolled a lousy 344 plus 20 pins (10 each game)
The pattern was long and played like shark and I had a difficult time staying that close to the head pin without pulling it just a bit to go through the nose or cross over. Carry was miserable for me and the other three on my pair. Finally found a line/release combo with good results in the 10th frame of the last game.

Oh well, it was a nice way to spend a late morning and I knew the guys I bowled with so we all had fun. After the tournament I was close to a favorite Chicago hotdog/italian beef joint so I stopped in for lunch, made the pain go away ha.

Chris

explorer05
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
I bowl that couple times a year. I will bowl it more this coming fall.

BigErn32
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I read all these posts and it feels nice to see that im not the only one with some cold feet when it comes to tournaments. Im glad to say that I will be in my first state tournament this weekend! (Michigan). A little nervous, but at the same time excited to see if I can hang with the big boys in the state. I've been shooting 680's the past month so that feels good going into this thing.

BigErn32
04-08-2013, 10:13 AM
My scores from this past tournament were... Doubles 624... Singles 644... and team 550. Those sunday lane conditions were tough. It took me a little over a game to be able to hone into my "spot". Had fun and feel I learned some things but for sure feel better about getting in more tournaments down the road!