PDA

View Full Version : Middle and ring finger pain

Gmjmma
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
When i pick up my ball i get a pain at the first knuckle of my middle and ring fingers. Does anyone know what causes this?

Zothen
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Possibly their to tight? I had the middle finger that was tight found a painful bump on my first knuckle. Since I went to a slightly larger grip the bump and pain went away.

Zothen

75lockwood
11-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Like Zothen said, i would got have the span checked, it may be a bit off

Gmjmma
11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
no the span is supposed to be right according to the pro shop guy. someone said somthing about the pitch may be off i dont know what that means and i think my pro shop guy is a little slow even though hes the owner until a week ago i found out that my ring finger was drilled just a tad to long

Gmjmma
11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
possibly to tight? I had a bump on first knuckle of middle finger and pain beacuse my grip was to tight. When I went to a slightly larger grip,the bump and pain went away.

Zothen

i can still move my fingers alittle in the holes if anything i figured they were streched out

UBowling
11-06-2012, 12:36 PM
The biggest factors are going to be first the hole size, and then the span and then the pitch.

When you put your fingers in the holes without your thumb, is it too tight at all? Does it rub a lot when you put the fingers in?

To check your span, put your thumb in the ball and lay your fingers across the finger holes, relax your hand. The edge of the hole should come to the middle of the two creases in your finger, between the first and second knuckle. If it goes all the way to the first crease, it is too long. This is how fingertips used to be drilled, but it is not acceptable anymore as it is too stretched and you need to be comfortable.

Finally the pitch, if it is hurting your fingers by the first knuckle, I would say that it has too much forward pitch, that is toward the palm. This can cause a lot of issues, one being pain in the hand and arm. I would recommend getting a second opinion from another pro shop operator to double check the specs in your ball.

Gmjmma
11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
The biggest factors are going to be first the hole size, and then the span and then the pitch.

When you put your fingers in the holes without your thumb, is it too tight at all? Does it rub a lot when you put the fingers in?

To check your span, put your thumb in the ball and lay your fingers across the finger holes, relax your hand. The edge of the hole should come to the middle of the two creases in your finger, between the first and second knuckle. If it goes all the way to the first crease, it is too long. This is how fingertips used to be drilled, but it is not acceptable anymore as it is too stretched and you need to be comfortable.

Finally the pitch, if it is hurting your fingers by the first knuckle, I would say that it has too much forward pitch, that is toward the palm. This can cause a lot of issues, one being pain in the hand and arm. I would recommend getting a second opinion from another pro shop operator to double check the specs in your ball.

no my fingers are pretty loose in the holes.

it comes to my first crease and what you say makes sense cause we had a ball demo day and all the balls there were alittle shorter than my span and i was getting strikes left and right. I just never would have imagined that 2 pro shops would have drilled my balls wrong or incorrect

i had my taboo blue silver redrilled and the guy at the pro shop there said there was too much forward pitch.

The German Shepherd
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I have had the same problem for a looooong time. I started using Osteo BiFlex and it has helped greatly. I also switched to a 15 pound ball and that has helped some as well.

Jay

J Anderson
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM
When i pick up my ball i get a pain at the first knuckle of my middle and ring fingers. Does anyone know what causes this?

I know that most of us don't think about how to pick up a bowling ball. Who ever wrote the USBC level one coaching manual did. They recommend picking the ball up from the ball return with two hands, making sure that neither is in the path of any ball coming back. Then, supporting the ball with one hand, you put your fingers in first, then the thumb ( obviously Tommy Jones didn't write the manual ). Your hand is doing enough work throwing the ball a minimum of 11 times per game, don't make it work harder than it has to.

billf
11-06-2012, 10:06 PM
When my tips get worn the arthritis in my knuckles hurt. Could just be me though. I wish pro shop operators had to re-certify every couple of years as the sport and techniques evolve.

Tampabaybob
11-06-2012, 10:34 PM

I had a lot of pain two seasons ago with my ring finger. Spent 20 bucks on the "Steel Fingers" and pain was gone in 2 -3 weeks. Also loaned it to a team mate that was having pain and it helped him as well. $20 well spent. ( order on-line at steel fingers.com)

I do have to agree about the pitch and the span on your fingers. A shorter span, and not much shorter is much more comfortable. Find another pro shop and get a third opinion. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. What one guy thinks is fine another guy will totally disagree with.

Bob