PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Grip

75lockwood
11-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

This is something that has been bothering me for a little while now, when bowling, every once in awhile the ball will "slip" off my hand early and go into the pocket light or get stuck a little to long and over hook, i have a rosin bag that i use to keep my hand dry, but it seems my grip is still a little inconsistent. does anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Thanks!

GeoLes
11-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I have the same thing happen late in league. I have observed that as I fatigue (or lose focus), I become lax on my release, turning the wrist too soon. Sometimes I roll a perfect shot, but the ball seems to lose break downlane. Then I realize my lazy hand is losing firmness upon release. That's when I go back to release drills during practice sessions.

At those times, I recall the scene from the original Karate Kid where Daniel is getting the stuffing kicked out of him in the tournament and he is scared and starting to panic. Mr. Miyagi says......

"Daniel San!!!!!!"

"Focus!!!!....."

Zothen
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Sometimes my thumb will shrink and I have to put tape in ball.

Zothen

Gmjmma
11-07-2012, 01:12 PM
i have the same thing happen sometimes but i found that if I tap the thumb and finger holes with the bag it helps me

75lockwood
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Sometimes my thumb will shrink and I have to put tape in ball.

Zothen

To be honest, i have yet to try tape (i really should), but i don't think this is the issue, because its a shot to shot inconstancy rather than day to day

Zothen
11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Doesn't matter! You have to adjust even if it means tape today,take out tape tomorrow. I have a Defiant and sometimes I have to put tape in and then next league I have to take it out. That is the price I pay for living in California! You can also buy thumb tape,which is tape that goes on top of thumb and they come in various thickness.

Zothen

noeymc
11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
just relax your hand put your fingers in then your thumb and relax your hand will hold on to the ball on your swing try it and see if that helps

75lockwood
11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Doesn't matter! You have to adjust even if it means tape today,take out tape tomorrow. I have a Defiant and sometimes I have to put tape in and then next league I have to take it out. That is the price I pay for living in California! You can also buy thumb tape,which is tape that goes on top of thumb and they come in various thickness.

Zothen

I agree with this, but it still happens even when the thumb grip is perfect, i'm not saying tape isn't a good idea, but i don't think fit is thoe only issue.

just relax your hand put your fingers in then your thumb and relax your hand will hold on to the ball on your swing try it and see if that helps

i will try this, the other thing i was thinking about is the fact that i got this ball drilled 5 years ago (i was 12), so i'm thinking that my hand has grown since and the span might be a tad off.

all the more reason to get a new ball LOL

noeymc
11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
yeah your hand for sure got better take it to a pro shop and they will tell you if it fits good or not

billf
11-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Ben, are you serious? I'm the same height I was at 12 but not the same size! I'm sure your hand has grown, silly rabbit.

75lockwood
11-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Ben, are you serious? I'm the same height I was at 12 but not the same size! I'm sure your hand has grown, silly rabbit.

LOL, i had that realization when reading chapter 6 of the USBC Bronze Cert book, those diagrams that show exactly where the callous's on my thumb and fingers are.... guess i need to take a trip to the pro shop.....

My Dumb LOL

noeymc
11-07-2012, 09:26 PM
yes u do =D

75lockwood
11-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Well.... i measured my ball tonight and noticed a few things....

span is 1/2" to short and my thumb doesn't fit in the ball properly... so ya, after realizing this do you think i could bowl well? nope.... i bowled a 147 the first game.... it was my highest game so lets lets leave it at that shall we?

well anyway, i don't know what i should do, have the ball re drilled or just shelf it and upgrade to something new?

the thing is 4 years old and doesn't look pretty, plus i was already looking to upgrade anyway...

well, i'm done venting for now... i gotta go bowling again in the morning so i'll see if i can make the ball do anything for me then

billf
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Realizing there are problems with the span alone won't make you bowl better. Fixing those problems will. As with most changes, the first few games tend to suck so be prepared. Another thing, how well do you stay under the ball through your swing and release?

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Realizing there are problems with the span alone won't make you bowl better. Fixing those problems will. As with most changes, the first few games tend to suck so be prepared. Another thing, how well do you stay under the ball through your swing and release?

Currently its pretty poor, i'm able to stay under the ball alright during the swing but when it comes to the release i tend to have my wrist break down (partly i think do to my thumb slipping), i'm prepared to have a few games suck once i get my ball fixed lol, i'll spend a nice few hours practicing before league.

I definitely need to get it fixed soon though, it seems like since i realized something is wrong everything is falling apart lol, as i type my ring finger is throbbing (got stuck in the ball this morning) and the callus on my thumb is growing lol :(

well, no pain no gain.

On a side note, i emailed a few pro shops looking for a marauder and was quoted around 200-250, with a few shops saying they would get back to me once they spoke with their supplier

(if i went via bowlingball.com, i would pay $60 shipping, $50 for drilling and up to $50 in duty and taxes (being Canadian has its drawbacks lol)

scottymoney
11-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow that sucks you have to pay that much extra for international shipping. Better idea! Order it and have it sent to my house, as long as you have a passport I can meet you at the border or you can stop by and I will give it to you. 2 hour drive down to NY. Save yourself shipping and taxes!
I will meet you at the bowling alley and we can bowl a few games on me. We can then see the differences between the marauder and the marauder madness.

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow that sucks you have to pay that much extra for international shipping. Better idea! Order it and have it sent to my house, as long as you have a passport I can meet you at the border or you can stop by and I will give it to you. 2 hour drive down to NY. Save yourself shipping and taxes!
I will meet you at the bowling alley and we can bowl a few games on me. We can then see the differences between the marauder and the marauder madness.

I might just take you up on this if i ever take a trip south of the border, who's up for a bowlingboards roadtrip??? :D

scottymoney
11-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Let me know, I can always find an excuse to go bowling! ;) And I was thinking, by the time you drive here and back it cuts alot of the savings.

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Let me know, I can always find an excuse to go bowling! ;) And I was thinking, by the time you drive here and back it cuts alot of the savings.

That it would, i wouldn't be able to justify a trip just for the ball lol.

billf
11-10-2012, 06:56 PM
But the bowling with a board member would be priceless

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 06:59 PM
But the bowling with a board member would be priceless

:D

I'm on my way to ohio bill!

billf
11-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Cool. The lanes are up, running and waiting for you.

scottymoney
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Hey Bill how much time and money did it take you to become a certified coach? I would like to one day do this myself. Just looking for what I should expect if I do pursue it.

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey Bill how much time and money did it take you to become a certified coach? I would like to one day do this myself. Just looking for what I should expect if I do pursue it.

Here is some starting info :cool:

http://www.bowl.com/Coaching/Coaching_Home/Become_a_Certified_Coach/

75lockwood
11-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Bronze Cert Conference fee: $295 (includes all materials)

http://www.bowl.com/Coaching/Coaching_Home/Coaching_Certification_Levels/Bronze/

if there is one nearby it would be better so you don't need to pay for a hotel stay

noeymc
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
where we bowling at bowling with 2 bowling board members even more priceless

GoodGorilla
11-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Maybe off topic, but the other day I accidently rubbed my hand on my ball to get some oil off with by bowling hand, and the oil made the ball slip off early. Your problem seems strange to me, I would think it is a finger grip issue, or perhaps you had some oil or food on your hands after eating. I had a problem like that a long time ago, now before I bowl I eat with my left hand.

MisterSinister
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Contrary to most people, I add moisture before grabbing my ball. I blow on my hand, it creates a nice seal between my hand and the ball.