PDA

View Full Version : I Have Bowlers Thumb...Options?

Rdmonster
11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
My recent foray into league play and practice have produced bowlers thumb. I have no pain with it or tenderness. Just numbing on the inside from the base to the lower parts of the pad. I think my fit is OK...I dont use tape. I have no burn marks or callouses on my thumb at all. I am compressing the nerve in the palmer surface of my thumb but I dont know why. It gets better as I rest but I bowled five games last night and three the day before. Its numb as hell right now.

So...am I gripping...do I need a bigger thumbhole...do I need an oval thumb hole? I did a search but came up with very little info here (at least with bowlers thumb in the title lol)

75lockwood
11-09-2012, 10:44 AM
My recent foray into league play and practice have produced bowlers thumb. I have no pain with it or tenderness. Just numbing on the inside from the base to the lower parts of the pad. I think my fit is OK...I dont use tape. I have no burn marks or callouses on my thumb at all. I am compressing the nerve in the palmer surface of my thumb but I dont know why. It gets better as I rest but I bowled five games last night and three the day before. Its numb as hell right now.

So...am I gripping...do I need a bigger thumbhole...do I need an oval thumb hole? I did a search but came up with very little info here (at least with bowlers thumb in the title lol)

well... you would think bowler's thumb is common for bowlers lol

as you bowl the swelling in your thumb can vary, bowling tape is used to get the perfect fit.

personally i haven't used tape before but would like to try it

J Anderson
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM

I've never had my thumb go numb. I've always thought bowlers thumb was when the thumb got all blistered from thowing too many games in one day. Despite what you said I think its a not quite right fit. Either too long or bad pitch.

Big Nick
11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I've heard of bowler's thumb, but I have no idea what the actual symptoms of it are. I would say that if you're losing feeling, then it may be time for a trip to the doctor and then maybe a trip to the pro shop to talk to the pro or ball driller there. You definitely want to get this under control before it gets worse.

bowl1820
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM

While most people should have a Oval thumb hole (most people don't have a perfectly round thumb). If your getting pressure on the nerve at the base of the thumb, you could try having the hole beveled more right there.

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fig6.jpg
Span Too Short or Too Long
Hole Needs More Bevel
Hole Too Big

From Mo:

Numbness is caused by irritation to the sheath covering the nerve. If there is a break in the sheath, the nerve "short circuits" into the body causing loss of feeling. I am a fanatic about shaping the top 1/2" of the thumb hole to match the contour of the base of the thumb. If there are any "hot" spots where the thumb hole presses harshly against the thumb, the body will generate fatty tissue to protect that area of the thumb (the lump under the skin). This can interfere with the nerve and result in numbness. Shape the top of the thumb hole with a bevel knife to match the shape of the base of the thumb.

Rdmonster
11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
LOL...none of you guys have even heard of it!!!! These are the symptoms in varying degrees. Pain...tingling....numbness...increased sensitivity...If it gets severe the whole thumb can be numb and a painfull growth or nodule (scar tissue basically) can form at the base of the palmer surface of the thumb. The symptoms are almost always in the palmar (pad) aspect of the thumb. There are two nerves in this part of the thumb...one gets compressed by the action of bowling. Repeated action can make it worse to the point where surgical relocation of the affected nerve can be needed.

My plan is to utilize tape or a splint until I have time to get my ball looked at. I have a thick foam tape that I can use as a pad with some regular cloth tape to go around it...I think this might help...it might be I am cranking the ball to hard. It will probably be fine by my next outing anyway.

Right now my thumb is slightly numb in a one inch line from the middle of the thumb to the base of the pad...

The same thumb is jacked up on the back side from a motorcycle crash a few years back so it kinda looks messed up anyway...

AZBowla
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
You could always try a thumbless or a 2 handed release.... ;)

After the thumb issues I've been having, it's been tempting at times to try it and see for myself.

bowl1820
11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
LOL...none of you guys have even heard of it!!!!. None? See my reply above.

Rdmonster
11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
None? See my reply above.

Not fair....you posted while I was typing....im gonna try some tape....when I had my new ball drilled I had the thumb increased in size (2 sizes I think)...if it's to big I may be gripping the ball and getting a poor release. Worth a try to start with...

Rdmonster
11-10-2012, 10:02 AM
So my thumb is a little better today...less numbness in the pad...no pain or tingling..still numb on the innr surface a bit. It might be all the way back by league night....I got several ideas....some wacky..about how to prevent this.. I totaled my (very nice limited edition Ducati :() motorcycle a few years back and when it threw me off it sprained the hell out of my thumb.I've got a big lump on the back side around the knuckle at the base from a ruptured tendon and or nerve sheath. It never went away although the pain and everything else did. I have full range of motion but the top of my thumb is kinda jacked. This part doesnt go in the ball thankfully. I think if I pad the inside of my thumb with a few layers of tape and/or tape my thunbhole I might be good. If not....back to the pro shop.

I also broke the tip of my sternum off in the same wreck and the piece actually subluxated partially beneath the main part of the bone.. I can feel it moving when I bowl, workout or do other fairly physical activities.It kinda clicks....weird but totally painless.

billf
11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I have full range of motion but the top of my thumb is kinda jacked. This part doesnt go in the ball thankfully.

The top of your thumb doesn't go in the ball? The whole thumb should go in but I digress. Go to the pro shop, tell them the whole story so they can properly bevel the hole for you and this shouldn't occur again.

Rdmonster
11-10-2012, 06:23 PM
The top of your thumb doesn't go in the ball? The whole thumb should go in but I digress. Go to the pro shop, tell them the whole story so they can properly bevel the hole for you and this shouldn't occur again.

LOL....By the top I meant the portion of my thumb on top and closest to my wrist...this part of the thumb isnt supposed to go in the ball.its maybe a half inch up the thumb (wristward lol) from the second knuckle....A trip to the pro shop is for sure on my list but I'm thinking it may be as much a technique issue as anything or maybe the thumbhole being to big.....Ill keep the boards posted :D

Tampabaybob
11-11-2012, 07:38 AM
LOL....By the top I meant the portion of my thumb on top and closest to my wrist...this part of the thumb isnt supposed to go in the ball.its maybe a half inch up the thumb (wristward lol) from the second knuckle....A trip to the pro shop is for sure on my list but I'm thinking it may be as much a technique issue as anything or maybe the thumbhole being to big.....Ill keep the boards posted :D

RD.....I've not only heard of it it happens to me also. Sometimes during practice the nerve at the base of the thumb gets numb for about the first 5 balls or so then it subsides. What I've found is that by taking several practice swings before the lanes come on and endure the pain/numbness then, by the time practice is over it will subside. Very strange feeling, not even sure why, but I do know it's hitting that nerve just right. My thumb is beveled quit a bit so I know it's not that. I'd try a different thumb pitch on another ball and see if that will help.

Bob

Rdmonster
11-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I did a deep cleaning on my ball last night and then spent alot of time sticking my thumb in the ball to guage it's fit. I almost think it is too small vs too big. When I fully insert my thumb and press it hard to one side there is little to no gap on the other side. I picked the ball up and could actually feel where the edge of the ball is hitting the nerve. The slug is also perfectly white and round except for the are where the rubbing is. The slug is slightly deformed in this area...almost galled a little. It also has a black mark on it which Im sure is caused by the side of my thumb. My thumb is about 60% better today with full feeling in the pad and only is only numb in the area where the worst affected area is. I can also feel a slight nodule under the surface of the skin in this area....this is big trouble because (according to my research) it's actually fatty deposits and scar tissue forming around the nerve itself.This is not a callous but a small knot under the skin.
I think I need a bigger bevel in my thumb hole as well as having it ovalled. When my thumb is fully inserted into the ball I can feel it touching that spot. I know I can fix it up with tape if I enlarge it and then perhaps bevel some more. I'm going to the pro shop on monday for their opinion on it. My right thumb has actually ind of been through hell with my accident and an injury I got from (ill advised) sparring at the gym. The last thing I need for it to be is numb all the time.

BTW I averaged over 170 in a five game string on Thursday...the event that brought the thumb issue to the fore....

J Anderson
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
I did a deep cleaning on my ball last night and then spent alot of time sticking my thumb in the ball to guage it's fit. I almost think it is too small vs too big. When I fully insert my thumb and press it hard to one side there is little to no gap on the other side. I picked the ball up and could actually feel where the edge of the ball is hitting the nerve. The slug is also perfectly white and round except for the are where the rubbing is. The slug is slightly deformed in this area...almost galled a little. It also has a black mark on it which Im sure is caused by the side of my thumb. My thumb is about 60% better today with full feeling in the pad and only is only numb in the area where the worst affected area is. I can also feel a slight nodule under the surface of the skin in this area....this is big trouble because (according to my research) it's actually fatty deposits and scar tissue forming around the nerve itself.This is not a callous but a small knot under the skin.
I think I need a bigger bevel in my thumb hole as well as having it ovalled. When my thumb is fully inserted into the ball I can feel it touching that spot. I know I can fix it up with tape if I enlarge it and then perhaps bevel some more. I'm going to the pro shop on monday for their opinion on it. My right thumb has actually ind of been through hell with my accident and an injury I got from (ill advised) sparring at the gym. The last thing I need for it to be is numb all the time.

BTW I averaged over 170 in a five game string on Thursday...the event that brought the thumb issue to the fore....

If worst comes to worse you can always try bowling with the other hand. You wouldn't be the first to do so because of injury.

Rdmonster
11-11-2012, 01:18 PM
If worst comes to worse you can always try bowling with the other hand. You wouldn't be the first to do so because of injury.

I hope to not ever have to bowl lefty...Ill keep the boards posted as to what the pro shop suggests.

Tampabaybob
11-11-2012, 01:20 PM
if worst comes to worse you can always try bowling with the other hand. You wouldn't be the first to do so because of injury.

realllllly ??????

Tampabaybob
11-11-2012, 01:30 PM

As I'm sitting here, if I rub my thumb where it hits the the thumb hole on the ball, I can feel the nerve in my thumb and it'll send a shooting shock into my thumb. This is the same feeling I feel, as I start to do those practice swings I mentioned earlier. So I know its a nerve and probably just misplaced from bowling so much for the last 50+ years.

I would definitely have someone in a pro shop look at your thumb hole. Most people do NOT have a round thumb, their thumb is oval when pressed against the inside of a thumb hole. Just because the drills are round doesn't mean that it's going to fit every person. The bevel "should" relieve some of the pressure, but I'd also have him take some out of the sides. Take a few pieces of sand paper with you next time you practice and after you've had the pro shop work on the thumb hole and keep sanding it until it feels comfortable. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Bob

Rdmonster
11-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Bob, That certainly is the nerve you feel....displacing the nerve surgically is actually a non conventional treament for this. I hope that with some work on the ball and being careful the next few weeks my symptoms will alleviate. I can also feel my nerve although I get no pain or stingers when manipulating it. I hope I caught it in time because this can actually turn into a pretty severe problem. Thickening of the nerve sheath with fibrous tissue can cause real and lasting damage. If I quit bowling entirely it could take weeks or months for all the sensation to return (if indeed it ever does)to my thumb...so says one of the docs where I work. The standard treatment is rest and modifying technique/equipment....wearing a splint or a guard...one doctor suggested never putting the entire thumb in the ball...only 3/4 or even (gasp) only up to the first knuckle.

Pro shop tommorow and then updates.

Tampabaybob
11-11-2012, 03:13 PM
My wife had to have surgery a couple of years ago on a nerve that had moved in her arm. It was causing the pinky to go numb and supposedly if it's not operated on, the hand can go into a claw position. She had it operated on and it's better but little or no feeling in that finger. I would have to think very carefully about having an operation to move a nerve after seeing this happen to her. I don't know how mine happened but it just started a few years ago.

Bob

J Anderson
11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
realllllly ??????

About twenty years ago, one of the bowlers in our Wednesday night league injured the shoulder of his dominant arm at work. Rather than give up bowling he switched to bowling lefty.

Four years ago I switched to bowling lefty because I needed a cyst removed from my middle finger and would have missed about 6 - 8 weeks of bowling. I had averaged 177 the previous season throwing a conventional grip Ebonite Signature. I dropped to 153 for the season bowling lefty with a used Track Delta Rule. That summer entered the sport league right handed, throwing a second hand Hammer Black Widow and averaged 177. I stayed on the wrong side on Wednesdays the next season and moved up to 161. Right handed in the sport league I had a composite 176 ( winter and summer). 10-11 season I went back to all right-handed in both leagues for a 174 sport ave. and a 186 regular ave. Last season I went all left-handed and dropped to 142 sport and 173 regular. This season I'm back to Left on the house shot and right on the sport except for when I'm asked to sub in which case I usually bowl with the same hand as the bowler I'm subbing for.

Tampabaybob
11-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow.....that's amazing. I've only seen one other bowler in all of my years bowling that could do that and do it effectively. If I had to switch to left handed I'd probably kill myself on the approach. There are times when I've wished that I was a lefty. My Dad bowled left handed, wrote right handed and played golf right handed. Never could figure that out.

If it works for you then, more power to you. When you left that post, I thought you were just trying to be funny, but now I can see you were serious. Good for you to overcome a problem.

Bob

Rdmonster
11-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Explained my issues to the pro shop.... The thumb hole looks to be the correct size.... He beveled the hole quite a bit and we put some tape in it to change the feel up a bit.... No bowling yet but it feels better in my hand. I also noticed it is far more likely to touch the nerve area of my thumb if I cock my wrist. I've been trying to not cock my wrist as much. This would seem a good time to learn.As always I will update after the next time I roll.

kmf
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
My dad eats and writes left handed. He usually bowls righty but can also bowl lefty. Last weekend he entered a non-sanctioned doubles tournament as his own partner. His usual doubles partner had to work. He only averages 162 lefty. I also saw him average in the 190s blind including an 800 series. Strangest thing I ever saw was with his eyes bandaged he would listen to the hit and usually could tell which pin or pins were left. He always knew which side it was when he was wrong. Joking around somebody handed him another of his balls rather than what he was using. As soon as his hands grabbed it he knew which ball it was. They all feel round to me.

Rdmonster
11-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Well.....looks like I'm gonna be ok....the beveling wasn't the complete answer but it helped. That coupled with a few pieces of tape and a slightly different grip allowed me to keep pressure of the nerve in my thumb....took me the better part of my first game to figure it out....in that time I felt the ball shift and pinch the nerve.....ouch.....happened a couple of times as the ball moved during the drop into the backswing.....by adding tape it reduced the depth I could insert by about 3 mm and kept my thumb tighter until release....no bowling next week so I plan on coming back strong....and getting a little practice in...